Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:08 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 28555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1541, 1542, 1543, 1544, 1545, 1546, 1547 ... 1904  Next
 What has pissed you off today? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The way I understand the law, you could not shoot him in this situation. However, If he physically touched you or took a swing, you could legally beat the crap out of him.

Do I have this right? What say you non-lawyers?

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Arisaka wrote:

I say they can only arrest you if they know something happened.

Draw your own conclusions.

zombie66 wrote:
Mikey is a Bossy Bottom.....

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Showing remarkable restraint is a sign of good character. What people like that cannot fathom, is that restraint is only brave because it's difficult. Restraint and self-discipline are practices that someone of that nature despises because they are too weak to summon any themselves. Utterly despicable selfishness.

Mercy is rarely deserved, and never free. Selflessness is an expensive emotional burden that builds strength of will.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:58 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

Arisaka wrote:
The way I understand the law, you could not shoot him in this situation. However, If he physically touched you or took a swing, you could legally beat the crap out of him.

I agree. However, at less than six feet away and him aggressing toward me, I wasn’t about to wait to be ready.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Call 911 and shoot.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whenever the cops show up and ask, "What happened to him?"
The standard answer is: "I think he fell down."

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Whenever the cops show up and ask, "What happened to him?"
The standard answer is: "I think he fell down."

Several times.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:52 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

dreadi wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

I agree.

I disagree. If it's reasonable to believe that you or the people you're with are under threat of grave bodily harm or death, you can shoot.

Now, what does that mean, exactly? You need to decide in the specific situation, when you're there. I agree, in Dana's situation it doesn't sound like the criteria was met. But if the other guy goes hands-on, then I think some judgment calls needs to be made. I do not believe that if the other guy is "only" using fists, shooting is never justified.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
dreadi wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

I agree.

I disagree. If it's reasonable to believe that you or the people you're with are under threat of grave bodily harm or death, you can shoot.

Now, what does that mean, exactly? You need to decide in the specific situation, when you're there. I agree, in Dana's situation it doesn't sound like the criteria was met. But if the other guy goes hands-on, then I think some judgment calls needs to be made. I do not believe that if the other guy is "only" using fists, shooting is never justified.

This...unless you are vastly Physically outmatched and the attacker has a weapon, or a verbal threat of death has been made during the attack, it probably would not end well for the shooter.
Especially these days. Just ask Kyle Rittenhouse.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kyle's story isn't over. Fer petes sake... don't wish the fast lady on him already!

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I understand the law, it doesn’t matter whether YOU feel you are in mortal danger. What matters is if a hypothetical REASONABLE PERSON would conclude their life was in mortal danger. The jury gets to answer that question

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Arisaka wrote:
As I understand the law, it doesn’t matter whether YOU feel you are in mortal danger. What matters is if a hypothetical REASONABLE PERSON would conclude their life was in mortal danger. The jury gets to answer that question

Agreed. I just wanted to make the point that the criteria is vague like that, and isn't specific as to what the other person needs to be doing in order to justify lethal force.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
MadPick wrote:
dreadi wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

I agree.

This...unless you are vastly Physically outmatched and the attacker has a weapon, or a verbal threat of death has been made during the attack, it probably would not end well for the shooter.
Especially these days. Just ask Kyle Rittenhouse.

Old, crippled, emphysema, COPD, asthma, jock itch, I'm afraid I'm not waiting until I get punched until I at least clear leather, and if there isn't an immediated de-escalation, ammo will quickly be converted into loud noise. Don't get me wrong, I'll always take every other avenue of retreat or other alternative but if getting beat with my cane doesn't deter some asswipe, they are likely to leave the encounter with more holes than they entered.

Glad you came out alright Dana. Must have been intense. Hard for me to imagine you losing your vast amount of cool.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

People have been killed with a single punch, or single push.

BUT, one must be able to articulate a reasonable fear.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
dreadi wrote:
Arisaka wrote:

I agree.

I’m too old to run or fight but too young to die from an ass kicking.... I’ll be protecting myself fearing for my life...

"We cannot negotiate with those who say, 'What's mine is mine, and what's yours is negotiable.'" JFK

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety”

-Ben Franklin

MadPick wrote:
I don't think you beat your children enough. :ROFLMAO:

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28555 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 1541, 1542, 1543, 1544, 1545, 1546, 1547 ... 1904  Next