Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 WWYD Self defense scenario 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I ran across this, and I'm curious that given the same scenario if applied to you, how would you handle an unarmed methed out person in this situation given your carry or skills?

https://www.jiujitsutimes.com/florida-m ... jiu-jitsu/

engage, don't engage, run, pull gun out, don't pull out gun, mag dump the guy, use pepper spray, ect.

Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well we aren’t all Black belt instructors in Brazilian Jitsu or input other martial art.

So many other variables to consider.

First, every event is different. Mix of people, timing and circumstances.

This is great that he was there to handle it. But asking a regular armed person what he/she would do? It’s a stretch.

Change the Meth head armed and attacking people... Easy. But again not the best scenario to examine as there are so many variables it’s not even grey.

Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:14 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I didn’t see anything in the video that would have led me to do anything other than call the police. However, who knows how it went down before the video started rolling.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If he does not demonstrate boxing techniques, I'd knock him out.
Because my lumbar is too old for jitsu.
Then I'd handcuffed him [hands behind his back!].
Then I'd call 911.

If he's a decent fighter and it's not possible to avoid physical contact [he's still attacking me or others], I'd shoot him.
Because my brain is too old for boxing.

Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You know how it goes with a fight plan. They typically go to shit in short order, and you fall back on your your training to react as the situation demands. You can have a strategy, say to finish it quickly, or to wear down the other guy. But when you get into details of tactics, your tactics largely depend on what the other guy does, which you cannot predict.

But theoretically, and this has never happened to me, let’s say the other guy is just standing there soaking up punishment, and you can do what you want. I would prefer not to get that close to a likely-diseased meth head with terrible hygiene. I don’t want to get bit, and I don’t want his blood on me. I would use ranged strikes, starting with kicks to the knee, groin, thigh or midsection. Sprinkle in foot jabs to keep separation. If he ends up down on one knee, and if I’m pissed off enough, then a kick to the side of his head would be nice. I would also avoid strikes to the face and head if I could, as I don’t want my hands cut and his blood getting in me. Instead I would focus my strikes on soft parts.
But in all likelihood I would end up ignoring my own advice and do what I was trained to do.

Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

... "Christopher Guarino was called on to handle the allegedly drugged-out intruder in his Florida neighborhood after the unidentified assailant reportedly bullied an elderly neighbor and then exposed himself to Guarino’s teenaged daughter...
...note the allegedly and reportedly...
I'm not a cop. I am armed, however, my CPL is * not* a license to correct criminal behavior. I also understand that in this state, a legal claim of self-defense requires the I am *not* a "willing participant."
I call the cops, and record evidence on my phone, to help the cops make their case when the arrive.
I remember always that every encounter with a CC holder is an "armed encounter".

Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
my CPL is * not* a license to correct criminal behavior.

You are correct. That 'license' is granted under 'doing the right thing' and 'common law citizen's arrest'..

:bigsmile:

Protecting others that can't protect themselves is a hitching post to which the horse of civilization is tied to.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
quantsuff wrote:

You are correct. That 'license' is granted under 'doing the right thing' and 'common law citizen's arrest'..

Protecting others that can't protect themselves is a hitching post to which the horse of civilization is tied to.

I believe that citizen arrest requires me first to observe a crime. If that's not so, please educate me.
I saw nothing in the OP that Guarino was protecting anyone from, other than what he apparently started by confronting the alleged perp. Maybe I missed it?
In any case, I didn't see any statement that Guarino was armed, I'm responding to the original question as to what I (armed) against unarmed dirtbag would do. YMMV

Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pepper spray, impact weapons (cane/walking stick) - keep the distance. Going hands on (a stiff snappy front kick is OK) and going to the ground are an absolute last resort. Seen too many times guys getting on the ground getting stomped by "bystanders".

Keep on your feet keep the distance keep your wits and keep your situational awareness on high alert.

Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

quantsuff wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
quantsuff wrote:

I believe that citizen arrest requires me first to observe a crime. If that's not so, please educate me.
I saw nothing in the OP that Guarino was protecting anyone from, other than what he apparently started by confronting the alleged perp. Maybe I missed it?
In any case, I didn't see any statement that Guarino was armed, I'm responding to the original question as to what I (armed) against unarmed dirtbag would do. YMMV

The original article stated that the perp was "exposing" himself to the confronters daughter.

Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

bubblewhip wrote:
quantsuff wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
quantsuff wrote:

The original article stated that the perp was "exposing" himself to the confronters daughter.

"Exposed", not "was exposing". My understanding of citizen arrest is crime occuring, not crime occured. Police investigate alleged crimes, not citizens.
Main point - unarmed citizen arrest against unarmed dirtbag is different than armed citizen arrest against unarmed dirtbag.

Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thankfully I have not been in many fights, but what I can tell you is that adrenaline is a helluva drug and will wear you out

In my days of wrestling 6 minutes on the mat left me more tired than a 6 mile run.

If you do have to fight, finish it fast

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:51 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So true!

In a physical aspect it’s just the physical part. But in these events... it can be physical but then add hormonal and emotional to your body and mind. It last way longer than just a physical event.

Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally....I've got reach on 80% of the population, but I'm with Arisaka on this one. No thank you to fisticuffs with a likely disease ridden fraq head. Call the cops. If he insists on being aggressive to myself or others..I'd use my feet.

With sufficient force, its surprisingly easy to kick someones landing gear right out from under them. Especially if their balance is already compromised by intoxication.

It's important to note that amphetamines or any other host of drugs can cause a disconnect of pain which will allow a user to soak up a tremendous amount of damage without incapacitation. Better to not physically engage if you have mobility on your side. Once their attention is engaged, distance will be your friend to lead them away from the threat zone.

Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]