Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A good read:
https://lulz.com/surviving-a-year-of-sh ... read-6265/

Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That was really interesting

The part about gold and silver being not worth much for trading makes sense. On the other hand he does mention how the financial collapse devalued his currency. Gold and silver could be a hedge against that

He explains the trade economy well. Makes sense to stock up on tradables like alcohol. He doesn't mention it but getting smaller bottles that are more conducive to trading are probably better than the costco size jugs. Not sure how long cigarettes can be stored for. I don't smoke so it's not like I could rotate stock

Found this part interesting too, sounds familiar...

Quote:
Q: What parallels do you see with events in the US and Bosnia before the SHTF?

Things that I experienced in my case prior to SHTF, and things that you might recognize:

Things that make differences between people are more and more problematic (race, religion, political opinion).
    Polarization is getting obviously stronger.
    People want to come to your country, but they do not want to “assimilate” or contribute to the greater good. They want to preserve their way of life which is often absolutely contradictory to the way that your country (society) works.
    The political way of solving those problems often fails, because, in essence, those problems are hard to solve in a democratic way (in the spirit of democracy).
    Your freedoms are “shrinking” as a result of that.
    Calls for “radical solutions“ for the problems are stronger and stronger.
    The media is absolutely working a dirty job, and it is hard to find out what is the truth anymore.
    Suddenly people and events from history are “brought back” so people can judge and argue about it, to write history again, to build myths sometimes.

Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For the cigarettes' I could vacuum pack individual packs.

Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From personal experience, the flint in a Bic lighter will dissolve in a few years when stored in your glove box or even in your house. If I were stockpiling lighters, I would heat seal bag them with silica gel or store them in a airtight container under nitrogen if possible. Stocking replacement Zippo flints or other fire lighters wouldn't hurt.

There was a similar first hand account of living in Argentina, (search "FerFal"). His situation was more "economic collapse/rampant inflation" than war/occupation/survival. One of the things I remember from his account was that lots of places would exchange gold, but you would only be paid junk gold prices.

Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:54 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

catbird wrote:
From personal experience, the flint in a Bic lighter will dissolve in a few years when stored in your glove box or even in your house. If I were stockpiling lighters, I would heat seal bag them with silica gel or store them in a airtight container under nitrogen if possible. Stocking replacement Zippo flints or other fire lighters wouldn't hurt.

There was a similar first hand account of living in Argentina, (search "FerFal"). His situation was more "economic collapse/rampant inflation" than war/occupation/survival. One of the things I remember from his account was that lots of places would exchange gold, but you would only be paid junk gold prices.

I have found bic lighters from 5+ years ago in my house. Never had a flint go bad. Zippo fluid always evaporates on me and it isnt feasible to buy 500 zippos for trading.

Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the internet stops working, old hustlers and busty mags are gonna be a hot commodity!

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]