Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 SeattleTimes spews BS about WA Constitution and gun rights 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/ou ... -language/

Quote:
Hugh Spitzer teaches at the University of Washington School of Law. The views expressed are solely his own and do not reflect a position of the University of Washington.

Looked this clown up, he went to Berkeley, figures. CA is one of the few states where the state constitution does not guarantee the right to bear arms.

This piece is obviously written and published at the beginning of our state legislative session to try and run interference for anti-gun legislators and pretend our rights aren't as solid as they are.

Some of his more absurd claims:
Quote:
Washington’s 1889 Constitution includes very special language that establishes a strong right to bear arms coupled with strong language reinforcing the Legislature’s power to control or even ban private militia groups.

While A1Sec24 states that the state does not AUTHORIZE groups of armed individuals, there actually is nothing in the state constitution or state law to BAN private groups. Why? Because the federal Constitution guarantees the right to peaceably assemble and 2A specifically protects well regulated militias.
Cannot believe this guy teaches Con law...

Quote:
Article 1, Section 24 of Washington’s Constitution states: “The right of the individual citizen to bear arms in defense of himself, or the state, shall not be impaired, but nothing in this section shall be construed as authorizing individuals or corporations to organize, maintain or employ an armed body of men.”

This language contrasts with the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment, which recites the necessity of “a well regulated militia” and then confirms “the right of the people to keep and bear arms.”

Does this guy know what "contrasts" means? They aren't contrary. The 2nd Amendment guarantees the right to firearms and organize, and WA State also guarantees the right to firearms but takes no binding position on organizing...
Holy shit I hope no one uses this guy to write a contract or a will.

Quote:
Until very recently, legal scholars and American courts viewed the Second Amendment as only protecting states’ rights to retain their national guards.

Bullshit. This "constitutional law professor" is blatantly ignoring Nunn v Georgia and US v Miller, among many other old cases that predated DC v Heller. He's either dishonest or incompetent.

Quote:
But both the territorial Legislature and the first Legislature after statehood passed statutes tightly regulating the use of firearms in specific ways. Concealed weapons were banned for everyone except police and railroad detectives, and pistols had to be carried on the hip in plain view. The popular view was that only card sharks and other low-lifers would hide their handguns. Statutes prohibited any form of guns in bars and taverns, or brandishing firearms in public.

Popular view? What? Did he get in his DeLorean, get up to 88mph and survey the WA settlers?

Quote:
In other words, Washington’s founders simultaneously entrenched a strong personal right to own guns along with the concept that reasonable regulation of firearms made sense

Along with...? No. The second part of his sentence does not follow. This is gaslighting, plain and simple.

Quote:
Consequently, the people who drafted Washington’s Constitution wanted to make it crystal clear that a strong right to bear arms would be tied to equally strong language affirming the Legislature’s right to regulate weapons and, more importantly, to control or prohibit armed groups including private “militias.” Early in our statehood, the Washington State Supreme Court in 1907 declared that “armed bodies of men are a menace to the public, their mere presence is fraught with danger,” and the state had wisely reserved to itself control over organized groups with weapons.

More dishonest and shady phrasing on his part. Nothing in the state Constitution ties the right to bear arms to regulations or control over groups. Nothing. It literally takes no position on it. Jesus, in law school they teach that most of the time when the law does not take a position that you cannot infer anything from that. This guy is flunking basic legal theory. Also, that decision he references refers to VIOLENT GROUPS THAT ARE BREAKING EXISTING STATUTES. He is conflating all armed groups with violent ones. More dishonesty.

Quote:
Further, under our state constitution the Legislature can take firm action if necessary to constrain or outlaw so-called citizen militias and other armed groups that endanger public safety, and the public institutions and officials we elect to serve us.

What a dipshit. Of course the state can outlaw people who are breaking the law. THEY ARE ALREADY BREAKING THE LAW.

This is the kind of dishonest rhetoric and slimy tricks that will be played out in the push to impair our rights in the coming legislative session. If you see anyone reference this douche's screed, refer them to these replies.

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Last edited by Alpine on Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:55 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Those who can... do

Those who can't do? teach.

Some of these 'teachers' become POTUS.

RE; Barry Soretorio

And you wonder why these fresh out of college kids are so fuked up.

"Let us Cross the river and sit in the shade of the trees" .....Stonewall Jackson

T. Jefferson "....the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. it is it's natural manure"

Last edited by WaJim on Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:07 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

:angryfire:

But on a brighter note, this may be the first time I've ever seen an anti-gunner, including anti-gun legislators, that actually thought that the constitution mattered.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:10 am
FFL / Dealer

I find it interesting that he thinks he has any idea what the people that wrote the state constitution had it mind, all we can do it READ it and try to follow what they wrote.....there’s no trying to understand what they wanted to say, just read what they actually said.

What’s more is that there are tons of legal cases that have helped to define what the constitution means TODAY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you sent your replies to the Seattle Times? Or if they posted the article on their FB page, have you added a comment that debunks/disputes the author's words?

The paper will probably just push it aside under the "well, it's an op-ed" guise but at least they'll see that someone with a brain is paying attention.

Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:10 pm

MadPick wrote:
...on a brighter note, this may be the first time I've ever seen an anti-gunner, including anti-gun legislators, that actually thought that the constitution mattered.

...Or it could be just that this time they know they'll be blatantly subverting it and need to develop some propaganda narrative....

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.”

Ronald Reagan Oct. 27, 1964

Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:52 pm

Mjlashua wrote:
I find it interesting that he thinks he has any idea what the people that wrote the state constitution had it mind, all we can do it READ it and try to follow what they wrote.....there’s no trying to understand what they wanted to say, just read what they actually said.

What’s more is that there are tons of legal cases that have helped to define what the constitution means TODAY.

These guys commonly use newspaper articles that were written at the time as their source. Of course we know that if it appeared in a newspaper, it had to be true and correct. Just like everything you see on the internet is true.

Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gunblaster wrote:
Mjlashua wrote:

These guys commonly use newspaper articles that were written at the time as their source. Of course we know that if it appeared in a newspaper, it had to be true and correct. Just like everything you see on the internet is true.

Great point. People think the fake news media in 2021 is bad. Back in the 1800s and 1900s it was 1000 times worse. "Yellow journalism."

Quote:
“I want to make something clear, I’m going to guarantee you this is not the last you’ve seen of him (Beto),” Biden said Monday evening during a campaign rally in Dallas. “You’re (Beto) going to take care of the gun problem with me. You’re (Beto) going to be the one who leads this effort.”

https://www.newsweek.com/beto-orourke-g ... ns-1465738
Quote:
[Beto O'Rourke Suggests Police Would 'Visit' Homes To Implement Proposed Assault Weapons Ban] "In that case, I think that there would be a visit by law enforcement to recover that firearm... ..."If someone does not turn in an AR-15 or an AK-47, one of these weapons of war...then that weapon will be taken from them"

Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Twisting words to deny civil rights. Lovely.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:00 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guess what predates and precedes the USCON and WACON ... We The People and The Militia - without both in robust health there would never be a USA. These two pillars of self governing free people are what support and give birth to the 3 branches of govt. This is the lesson that needs to start every discussion about govt, rights and prevention of abuses.

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]