Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 95 gr 9mm copper jacked bullets 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone ever shot these bullets in a Glock before? What is their performance like compared to a 115 gr bullet?
I discovered I had 500 of them sitting around and was considering loading them up with CFE Pistol Powder.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:35 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Are they intended for .380, perhaps? Or 9mm Makarov?

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

They are .355 diameter. There *is* load data out there for 95 gr 9mm on Hodgdon's website.....

Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My load testing for G-19 range loads found that the lighter projos ( 115 gr) needed to be pushed fairly fast to reliably drive the action. This with the standard slide spring. I eventually settled on 124s for reliable light range loads .

To your point: I suspect that you will need to drive the 95’s quite fast to get reliable action, or perhaps experiment with lighter slide springs.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bxc53 wrote:
My load testing for G-19 range loads found that the lighter projos ( 115 gr) needed to be pushed fairly fast to reliably drive the action. This with the standard slide spring. I eventually settled on 124s for reliable light range loads .

To your point: I suspect that you will need to drive the 95’s quite fast to get reliable action, or perhaps experiment with lighter slide springs.

Thats a great point.

Okay, I'll put them away for another day. Or if I buy a 380 Auto. :bigsmile:

Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Steve was right! I dug into the box further and found some 380 auto brass.
I had a Mak that was 380 ACP back about 6 years ago.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I shoot 95gr 9mm all the time. What bullets are you talking about? Some are good in 9mm, some are not.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bxc53 wrote:

The load requirement to cycle your action is based on power rather than bullet weight or momentum. I've tested this in several different pistols with everything from 90gr up to 170gr in 9mm. The level of power required does vary for different pistols and for different shooters* of course, but as an example in one of my Glock 19 setups the minimum power for a load to cycle is right around 250 ft-lb. Any load, regardless of bullet weight, that is weaker than that would not cycle that gun in my hands. I normally load my 95-100gr bullets at ~1180 fps (a little above that 250 ft-lb for reliability), although they are capable of being pushed much faster than that safely. Your needs will vary, and a weaker spring will cycle easier than a heavy or new spring.

*An example of different loads for different shooters - I had a particular very light target load for a G43 that cycled for me with 2.3gr of Clays, but the exact same load, in the same gun, wouldn't cycle for a friend with less than 2.6gr. This isn't about size of the person so much as grip and structure; more rounds down range and better training generally improves both and IMO will benefit reliability as a result.

Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
I shoot 95gr 9mm all the time. What bullets are you talking about? Some are good in 9mm, some are not.

No idea. I got them 6 years ago. Swaged copper on lead.

Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
Yondering wrote:

Hard to offer real insight without more info or at least a picture. Some 95gr bullets work great in 9mm. Others are garbage and won't feed because they're too short. It's not an unusual weight for 9mm bullets though; there have been quite a few over the years. I will say if these are plated, they probably aren't worth your time.

One worth mentioning (although obviously not what you have) is the Lee 95-RF mold. It's intended for a .380, but is one of the best 95gr 9mm bullets ever made IMO, for both accuracy and effectiveness. It's also excellent in the 357 Sig.

Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
Bxc53 wrote:

Thats a great point.

Okay, I'll put them away for another day. Or if I buy a 380 Auto. :bigsmile:

Yondering wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:
Yondering wrote:

Hard to offer real insight without more info or at least a picture. Some 95gr bullets work great in 9mm. Others are garbage and won't feed because they're too short. It's not an unusual weight for 9mm bullets though; there have been quite a few over the years. I will say if these are plated, they probably aren't worth your time.

One worth mentioning (although obviously not what you have) is the Lee 95-RF mold. It's intended for a .380, but is one of the best 95gr 9mm bullets ever made IMO, for both accuracy and effectiveness. It's also excellent in the 357 Sig.

Second I saw this, my mind said 9x25 Dillon. Buy a Glock 20/29 and a conversion barrel :D

Studying for my Liberal Arts degree at Evergreen College.

YouTube taught me, just like everybody else.

Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]