Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Dune buggy build 

laneends wrote:
On 2 stroke sleds for about the last 20 years, reverse actually starts the engine backwards. No gear box. 4 stroke sleds can't do that so reverse is a gear box. If interested I have a 2009 ski doo 800 that is torn apart but otherwise a serviceable sled, would have all wiring, clutches, engine, carbs, the whole nine. I'm never going to get around to putting it back together. This engine would put out around 160hp.

Thats nuts! I didn't realize the 2's run backwards in reverse, pretty cool actually. I would definitely be interested in the 800! Shoot me a PM with what you would want for it. Thanks for the thought!

Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:22 pm

Cool stuff mocked up. Mini-moker/multi port rocket stove will bolt up to the 2" reciever up front. I can do two-8lb pork butts in here. I need to make the firebox a touch bigger. Skis will have a bracket made to strap up to tires. 670cc in its rough position in the back. Took the K-31 out over the weekend. Close target is 50 yards, furthest is 300 yards. Fantastic diopter sights.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Needs more of this:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/202 ... y-vehicle/

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:06 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

There’s so much win in that post, I don’t even know where to start!

LMAO, that smoker is crazy!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:09 am

Got the drive CVT in. I bought an aluminum milled pulley to run an alternator off of. It sits right behind the drive CVT on the drive shaft. Pretty cool as it will charge at idle. Today in working in making Aluminum diff covers. 2 diffs, one for each rear axle.
Ill be trying low temp Aluminum wels rods from Harbor Freight. I only have a flux welder, so excited to see how the rods work with a porpane/butane torch.

I also bought some duamond plate for the "dashboard"

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:14 am

Pretty cool! I have been getting alot of inspiration from the Chenworth militart buggies.

Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:16 am

MadPick wrote:
There’s so much win in that post, I don’t even know where to start!

LMAO, that smoker is crazy!

Thanks! I think its pretty dang cool. I had a crazy idea in my head for the smoker and ran with it. Just having fun!

Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:18 am

Dash done. Got tired of balancing my whisky on the bars.

Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:ROFLMAO:

:thumbsup2:

Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:23 pm

Going with a single axle, 6 wheels is too much. Rear shocks on.

Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That’s gonna be cool! :thumbsup2:

Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:42 am

Working on the swingarm. A problem with these builds is axles bending due to having too much torque on them from big impacts/landings. I "boxed out" an additional bearing that supports about 1/4" away from the hub. About 4" is standard, so I shouldn't have issues bending the axle.

Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TNThomas wrote:
Working on the swingarm. A problem with these builds is axles bending due to having too much torque on them from big impacts/landings. I "boxed out" an additional bearing that supports about 1/4" away from the hub. About 4" is standard, so I shouldn't have issues bending the axle.

Looking at that pic, I think your boxed sections are going to be irrelevant as it's currently built - the weak link is twisting in that single piece of box tubing running fore-aft under each side of the axle. (Keep in mind box tubing twists easier than round of the same size.)

To counter that, you could weld in a brace or two at the top of the bridge sections that go over the axle. Depending where your sprockets will line up, I'd probably do that at either the front or rear corners of the bridge. You could run it through the middle of the chain if that fits better. Regardless, the point would be to support the tops of those bridges from bending closer together on a landing.

Taking it a step further, after you've done that you could triangulate those boxed bearing sections better; that in concert with the brace(s) above should make them actually functional. For triangulation I'd just cut some flat steel triangles and weld them in place, maybe two on top and one or two on the bottom of each bearing section.

JMHO as an engineer with a lot of experience in automotive structural testing.

Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:36 pm

Yondering wrote:
TNThomas wrote:

Looking at that pic, I think your boxed sections are going to be irrelevant as it's currently built - the weak link is twisting in that single piece of box tubing running fore-aft under each side of the axle. (Keep in mind box tubing twists easier than round of the same size.)

To counter that, you could weld in a brace or two at the top of the bridge sections that go over the axle. Depending where your sprockets will line up, I'd probably do that at either the front or rear corners of the bridge. You could run it through the middle of the chain if that fits better. Regardless, the point would be to support the tops of those bridges from bending closer together on a landing.

Taking it a step further, after you've done that you could triangulate those boxed bearing sections better; that in concert with the brace(s) above should make them actually functional. For triangulation I'd just cut some flat steel triangles and weld them in place, maybe two on top and one or two on the bottom of each bearing section.

JMHO as an engineer with a lot of experience in automotive structural testing.

Thanks for the input! All good thoughts. Ill definitely run at least one tube, probably 2 between them the boxed sections to beef it up. My sprocket should actuall have about an inch of clearance so I can put them on the outside to double as sprocket protection. Ill get more gussets on too once the engine mounting plate is on, thats the next step.

Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:32 am

The 54" long axle actually fit, I was a little worried about the 4 bearings being a little off, but we are good!

Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:34 am
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next