Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Homemade silencers (form 1) 

I am a cheap SOB, I load my own ammo, rebarrel rifles, cast bullets and make my own silencers. I spent about $2000 on a lathe and other tools, but it is well worth it. I wish I had bought a better lathe. SSK wanted $2000 for a stainless sielncer for the 510 whisper, I made one for about $40 plus the $200 tax. With 12 cans under my belt, they cost me about $400 each. This includes the ATF tax and the cost of the tools and material.

An aluminum 510 whisper can, one of my first. SSK's was 1.625x16 inches, mine is 2x18 inches.

Drawings of the 510 whisper can. Top is configured for the 510 whisper Encore, middle is for the Enfield in 45 acp, bottom is how I would do it in steel if I make another one.

For an AR-15. I have made both designs, they sound simliar.

AK can. The gas port is loud enough by itself to hurt the ears when using standard ammo.

Ranb

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sweet!

Man, can we do a group buy.... ? For a lathe?

Wow! that is something else. My brother is very familiar with lathes... will have to give him a buzz. :-bd

Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:13 pm
Founding Father
Founding Father

Randy did you make all the baffles yourself?

As for a lathe...I have one! We can have a suppressor building party. =))

Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:03 pm

Yes, all of the silencer parts I made myself. Baffles are very easy. As long as you make the hole exactly in the middle, the outer edge is a slightly snug fit to the inside of the tube, the tube is straight and mounted square on the muzzle, you can not go wrong. I am willing to help anyone learn how to make a silencer. But the best place for ideas is the http://www.silencertalk.com silencersmithing forum. Lots of people who really know what they are doing there. I am a beginner even though I made my first can in 2002.

Ranb

Last edited by Ranb on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:34 pm
Founding Father
Founding Father

Ranb wrote:
Yes, all of the silencer parts I made myself. Baffles are very easy. As long as you make the hole exactly in the middle, the outer edge is a slightly snug fit to the inside of the tube, the tube is straight and mounted swuare on the muzzle, you can not go wrong. I am willing to help anyone learn how to make a silencer. But the best place for ideas is the http://www.silencertalk.com silencersmithing forum. Lots of people who really know what they are doing there. I am a beginner even though I have made my first in 2002.

Ranb

Thanks! I have a lathe and all the stuff needed. Matter of fact I just spent the last two hours on silencer talk! :-bd

Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I say this calls for a meet up and demo and hands on (after all the paperwork that is...) at TA's place!

I think a small donation for the equipment is very fair.

I understand once you get the paperwork - the person has to be present and all that for their suppressor. Wow that would be way cool! Just to watch.

You guys are awesome! :D

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:18 am

I can meet in Woodinville if someone springs for the gas ($20). I am making a 44 mag can for a rifle and can show how to make a baffle with aluminum bar stock. It takes me about 2 hours for the first baffle, half the time for the remaining ones.

Ranb

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:36 am
Founding Father
Founding Father

Ranb wrote:
I can meet in Woodinville if someone springs for the gas ($20). I am making a 44 mag can for a rifle and can show how to make a baffle with aluminum bar stock. It takes me about 2 hours for the first baffle, half the time for the remaining ones.

Ranb

Why the huge difference in time between the first and remaining baffles? I'm assuming it's the design.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:55 am

Nope. The first time I make a baffle I am stopping more often to measure. I frequently make changes to the design which means what comes off the lathe sometimes does not look like what I drew on paper. It is more of how inexperienced I am with a lathe. I never had any formal training and learned how to use it while making my first silencer.

What other stuff do you have? Tell you have a bandsaw. I made it through one piece of bar with a hacksaw before I bought a hand held bandsaw. It gets lots of use. I have broken 4 blades and working on wearing out my second set of rubber covers on the drive wheels.

Do you know how to make threads? I suck at it. I can cut threads larger than one inch with a threading tool on the lathe, but use a tap/die in a tailpiece chuck for anything 15/16 inch and smaller.

Ranb

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:36 am
Founding Father
Founding Father

Okay. I have tons and tons of tools and most of those are for metal working. My dad was a sheet metal worker/fabricator for over 35 years so I learned everything from him. Right now I cut threads by hand also but would really like to start lathe cutting them instead. All the tooling I have or buy is based on the work I do..I haven't built any suppressors yet because I couldn't legally use them. Well, thanks to outstanding effort that will soon change and my tooling requirements will also change.

Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:43 am

Does anyone know of any type of medium that can be used in a suppressor to increase the efficiency? I've seen plans for ones that use washers with holes in them instead of baffles and felt pads between the washers. Anyone ever tried this?

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Washers.... For the most part ... Is TV or movies.

But this coming from someone that doesn't own a suppressors (Aka silencer).

I have seen some get fancy and angle the washers with felt or other buffeting on TV creating a zig zag pattern.

You might want to check on a dedicated silencer forum.

Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:04 am

BrettH8sU wrote:
Does anyone know of any type of medium that can be used in a suppressor to increase the efficiency? I've seen plans for ones that use washers with holes in them instead of baffles and felt pads between the washers. Anyone ever tried this?

Some people use water or grease in the silencer to absorb some of heat to reduce noise. But it is messy (grease stinks) and fouls up the internals much faster.

I think washers and felt (metal mesh?) are a waste of time. A baffle with a 60 degree cone is going to resist the flow of gun powder gases much more than a flat washer. Metal mesh or felt will eventually compress or become fouled and end up as a lump of crap inside that just takes up space and reduces volume increasing noise. It can not be legally replaced unless another $200 tax is paid or it is sent to an FFL/SOT class 2 for service.

Look at what the pros use, most of them use only metal baffles or monocores. There are some designs using wipes, but these are specialty designs where suppression is more important than accuracy and durability.

Ranb

Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been wishing I could get a silence, but when most seem to be $500+ BEFORE the tax stamp, it's just not economical. Kudos for tackling this on your own. I'm sure you could bring in enough to cover your initial expenses if you offered a group buy/group build event with a $100 donation requirement. thumbsup

"A nation grown free in a single day is a child born with the limbs and the vigour of a man, who would take a drawn sword for his rattle, and set the house in a blaze that he might chuckle over the splendour." Sydney Smith (1771-1845)
Spoiler: show
NOW YOU DID IT...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Must be nice.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next