Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Concealed Pistol License (CPL) Information... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Basic Facts: Cost $55.25

The following is straight off the WA DOL website. I would recommend you review this and then just do a quick google search for your local PD (if you live within the city limits) and check when their hours are and what they have posted.

In Washington the CPL is good for 5 years and it applies to all of Washington (even though it's given in one jurisdiction). You do not have to attend any class or have any safety certification course. Just meet the requirements and pay. Please bring exact change as some agencies do not have the ability to charge or take checks but they all take cash (but do make sure before you go). Out of State residents can apply at any agency.

I have copied the following information.
1) Requirements
2) FAQ
3) Change of Address

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconceal.html
Requirements: Concealed Pistol License (CPL)

You must meet all of the following requirements to get a concealed pistol license:
Be 21 years of age or older at time of application.
Be a United States citizen or a permanent resident alien with permanent resident card or “green card.”
Have no pending trial, appeal, or sentencing on a charge that would prohibit you from having a license.
Have no outstanding warrants for any charge, from any court.
Have no court order or injunction against possessing a firearm.
Have no mental health conditions that would prohibit you from having a license.
Have no felony convictions.
Have no convictions for any of the following crimes committed by one family member against another on or after July 1, 1993:
Assault IV
Coercion
Stalking
Reckless Endangerment
Criminal Trespass in the first degree
Violation of the provisions of a protection order or no-contact order restraining the person or excluding the person from the residence.

Where to apply
If you live in the unincorporated area of a county you must apply in person at your sheriff’s office.
If you live in an incorporated city within the county, you may apply in person at either the city police department or sheriff’s office.

If you are not a Washington State resident, you may apply at any local law enforcement agency in Washington.

Documents you’ll need. You will need to bring all of the following:
Picture identification such as a Washington State driver license or identification card. If you don’t have a Washington State driver license or identification card, you must provide proof you have lived in the state for at least the last 90 days.
The $55.25 fee in cash, check, or money order made payable to the law enforcement agency. This fee is non-refundable.
If you are in the military, your military ID and orders listing your station location.

Background check required
You must be fingerprinted and have a criminal history background check before you can be issued a license. Please see Frequently asked questions for more information about licensing requirements.

Reciprocity for concealed pistol licenses from other states
Washington accepts concealed pistol licenses issued by a number of other states, as long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law. The Washington State Attorney General’s website provides a list of states that have reciprocity with Washington for concealed pistol licenses.

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms ... alfaq.html
Frequently asked questions: Concealed pistol license
When do I need to have a concealed pistol license?

By law, you must have a concealed pistol license when you are:
Carrying a pistol concealed on your person.
Carrying or placing a loaded pistol in a vehicle.
Where do I apply for a concealed pistol license?

If you live in the unincorporated area of a county you must apply in person at your sheriff’s office. If you live in an incorporated city within the county, you may apply in person at either the city police department or sheriff’s office. Non-Washington residents may apply at any local law enforcement agency in the state.

What are the application hours?
Application hours vary from agency to agency and you will need to contact your local law enforcement agency for their specific hours.

How long does it take before I receive my license?
If you are applying for your first concealed pistol license, it may take up to 30 days to complete the background check before the license is issued. If you do not have a Washington driver license or identification card, it can take up to 60 days.

How long is my concealed pistol license valid?
Your concealed pistol license is valid for 5 years from the date your license is issued. You will not receive a renewal notice and it is your responsibility to ensure your license has not expired.

What if I lose my concealed pistol license?
If your license has been lost, stolen or destroyed, you may obtain a replacement concealed pistol license from your local law enforcement agency. You will need to apply in person and the fee for a replacement license is $10.

Related laws
RCW 9.41.050: Carrying firearms

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms ... hange.html
Change your address: Concealed pistol license
Washington State law doesn’t require you to update the address on your concealed pistol license when you move.

How to update your address
The process to change the address on your concealed pistol license is the same as when you first applied, except you won’t be fingerprinted:

Go to the law enforcement agency where you currently live.
Complete an application, marking the “Replacement” box.
Submit the application with the replacement fee. $10
Depending on how busy the law enforcement agency is, you may be able to walk out with an updated license. Otherwise, they will contact you within a day or so to pick up your new license.

Questions?
Please contact us at:

Phone: (360) 664-6616
Fax: (360) 586-2726
Email: firearms@dol.wa.gov
Mail:

Firearms Section
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9649
Olympia, WA 98507-9649

So, you just read the WA DOL - here is the King County Sheriff website for unincorporated King County.

King County Sheriff
http://www.kingcounty.gov/safety/sherif ... s/Gun.aspx

And Lastly, Washington Reciprocity
http://www.atg.wa.gov/page.aspx?id=7772
Washington concealed pistol licenses will be recognized in the following states, and concealed weapons licenses issued in the listed states will be recognized in Washington State, so long as the handgun is carried in accordance with Washington law.

Arkansas
Florida* (WA residents only)
Louisiana
Michigan
Mississippi
Missouri
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Utah

NOTE: Handguns must be carried in accordance with the law of the state you are visiting. Be sure to check the laws of the other state before traveling there with your handgun.

Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

While we have reciprocity with 10 states, there are many states that will accept any state issued concelaed permit/license.

These are all states that accept the Washington CPL
AK, AR, AZ, FL, IA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MS, MT, MO, NC, ND, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT

Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:20 am

CPL applied at King County Sherrifs Office Downtown Seattle on 31MAY2011.
CPL arrived in the mail 22Jun2011.
So 22 days for KCSO

Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:11 am
Founding Father
Founding Father

h3lpmedic wrote:
CPL applied at King County Sherrifs Office Downtown Seattle on 31MAY2011.
CPL arrived in the mail 22Jun2011.
So 22 days for KCSO

Wow. That's not bad at all. I applied for mine in Shoreline and I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure it took damn near the full 30 days.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:02 am

Mine came in 20 days from the Kenmore PD/KCSO.
That was just over two years ago

Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:00 pm
Profile WWW

As a note, there is an error on the actual application regarding permanent residents.

If you read the application it says if you are Not a US citizen that you require an alien firearm license. But if you check the .wa.gov website it specifically says.

Who doesn’t need an alien firearms license?
A permanent resident alien (immigrant alien) with a permanent resident card (green card).

There was a bit of confusion at the sheriff's office when I went in (I'm a permanent resident with a green card). But it was quickly sorted out. Took them 32 days to get my concealed license.

Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:50 pm

I was in a local gun shop last week, won't name it, and heard that the Governor of Oregon has signed the bill for reciprocating/accepting Washington State CPL. I don't know if they were blowing smoke and I haven't been able to confirm it. Has anybody heard of this??? It would be nice since I live in Wa but work in Or.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." -Gen. John "Black Jack" Pershing, U.S. Army

Vince
United States Marine Corps '94-'00
NRA Member

Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:35 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

vmkeith wrote:
I was in a local gun shop last week, won't name it, and heard that the Governor of Oregon has signed the bill for reciprocating/accepting Washington State CPL. I don't know if they were blowing smoke and I haven't been able to confirm it. Has anybody heard of this??? It would be nice since I live in Wa but work in Or.

I heard that it was a part of a bill, but was removed prior to signing. I'll do some more digging, would be GREAT if it was true though!

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:04 am
Profile WWW

I just read this posted at another site.

Quote:
Unfortunately, House Bill 2792 did not pass as was hoped by the firearms community.

Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:39 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

G-19 wrote:
I just read this posted at another site.

Quote:
Unfortunately, House Bill 2792 did not pass as was hoped by the firearms community.

Actually it did pass, just with the clause for WA State Reciprocity removed...
http://gov.oregonlive.com/bill/2011/HB2792/

Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:13 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CPL submitted at Kitsap County Sheriffs Office, Silverdale on 28 OCT 2011.
CPL arrived in the mail 09 NOV 2011.
So 13 days for KCSO
:)

Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:24 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

richj11 wrote:
CPL submitted at Kitsap County Sheriffs Office, Silverdale on 28 OCT 2011.
CPL arrived in the mail 09 NOV 2011.
So 13 days for KCSO
:)

That's awesome. thumbsup

Congrats!

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:26 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Nice, beat my 17 days from Thurston Co.

Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:58 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I got mine from Olympia a bit over 4 years ago, not only did they drag it out nearly the full 30 days, they post dated it to exactly 30 days after I applied.

"...steam, artillery and revolvers give to civilized man an irresistible power." -Perry Collins

Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:57 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

kf7mjf wrote:
they post dated it to exactly 30 days after I applied.

Wow. Assholes. angryfire

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 173 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next