Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:39 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Men, you have it good in the concealed carry world. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FattyKrack wrote:
When my ex started carrying, she kept it in her purse. I consider that a horrible option, since what would bad guy go for first?? I jimmied a better strap for each of her purses, but I still didn't like it. She felt better just having it around, but again. ideally bad. But there are some specific purses out there, that combined with practice, awareness, and proper purse retention, make it a very viable option for summer carey÷

Yeah, but you have to be careful with purse carry - that's how that little kid shot his mom in Idaho or Montana several months ago.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:
FattyKrack wrote:
When my ex started carrying, she kept it in her purse. I consider that a horrible option, since what would bad guy go for first?? I jimmied a better strap for each of her purses, but I still didn't like it. She felt better just having it around, but again. ideally bad. But there are some specific purses out there, that combined with practice, awareness, and proper purse retention, make it a very viable option for summer carey÷

Yeah, but you have to be careful with purse carry - that's how that little kid shot his mom in Idaho or Montana several months ago.

Yeah I remember that, super sad. But training and awareness...

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Appendix carry works great for men on date night.

Until she finds out you are all pistol, and just a small caliber "gun".

Give a man a fish, and he will eat for a day. Give a man a fishing pole, and he will drink too much beer, get tangled in fish line, hook himself in the nose casting, fall overboard, and either drown, or, go home hungry and wet. Give a man a case of dynamite, and he will feed the whole town for a year!

BE ON NOTICE:
PRIVACY NOTICE: Warning - any person and/or institution and/or Agent and/or Agency of any governmental structure including but not limited to the United States Federal Government also using or monitoring/using this website or any of its associated websites, you do NOT have my permission to utilize any of my profile information nor any of the content contained herein including, but not limited to my photos, and/or the comments made about my photos or any other "picture" art posted on my profile.

You are hereby notified that you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing, disseminating, or taking any other action against me with regard to this profile and the contents herein. The foregoing prohibitions also apply to your employee, agent, student or any personnel under your direction or control.

The contents of this profile are PRIVATE and legally privileged and confidential information, and the violation of my personal privacy is punishable by law. UCC 1-103 1-308 ALL RIGHTS RESERVED WITHOUT PREJUDICE

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:

Rarely works out for me on Tuesdays at the Ladies Night at the Range when I appendix Carry my G17L's 6 inch barrel.

Sorry Annalee....things can go downhill here on WAGuns quickly.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Although not ideal (because you can't re-holster), Bellybands, corsetts, and undercover underwear provide options.

I may get a bellyband at some point, but the underwear doesn't seem.....um....reusable within the same week.

Last edited by joao01 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RENCORP wrote:

Actually...I'm thinking of starting a new thread on this topic. :wink05:

EDIT - Done! viewtopic.php?f=46&t=53859

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the board!

After carrying a concealed gun daily for more than 20 years (yes, you read that right), I can assure you that you can carry a much larger firearm than you initially think you can. A little trial and error in the dressing room -- with some attention paid to color selection as well as your specific body shape -- should give you the wardrobe choices necessary to carry your G19 (or just about any other gun, for that matter). There's no reason to resort to a micro pistol or a J-frame revolver, both of which have their place but neither of which need to be added to your arsenal just for concealment purposes.

Not sure if someone already provided these links...

Melody (Limatunes) is rather petite and regularly carries a steel-frame, commander-size 1911 without looking frumpy. http://limatunesrangediary.blogspot.com/ There should also be a link somewhere on her site to her YouTube channel, where she talks a bit about holsters, belts, etc. Lots of useful info there.

Faliaphotography is also petite and, while she generally sticks with smaller guns, she has experimented with a LOT of carry options. http://www.faliaphotography.com/p/more-photos-my-bug-out-bag-guns-etc.html

General thoughts: Forget the conventional "high and tight" mantra when it comes to holsters. Take the time to figure out where you want the gun to be on your body, then determine the ride height and cant that work best for your figure. Women often find a lower ride height and an aggressive forward cant (~15-30 degrees) more comfortable and concealable. Hybrid IWB holsters typically have some adjustment options for both ride height and cant, so one of those might be a good place to start.

A well-crafted belt should be next on the list, with the understanding that a less-than-great belt will undermine even the perfect holster. You can skimp on a lot of things in life, but a carry belt isn't one of them.

ETA: Those compression shorts can be useful if you aren't wearing a belt. At around $45/pair, might be worth the investment. Added perk: They turn any jammies into tactical jammies. :bigsmile:

GlockGirl has spent more time working with non-waistline and off-body carry methods than I have, and she was very helpful when I was figuring out the Flashbang. Hopefully she'll weigh in with her experience as well.

Once you have the where and how nailed down, then you can focus on clothing. Non-geometric patterns are your friend. For summer, a thin, gauzy (even pointelle) sleeveless open-front shirt in white or pink over a black tank top will cover almost anything without adding significant weight or warmth (no one sees the black gun under the bright and slightly billowy outer layer). With the right holster, you should be able to go with just shorts and a t-shirt.

Caveat: I don't usually OC but my version of CC isn't far from it -- it falls into the "zero fucks given" category. Grip prints when I bend over? Meh. Holster peeks out at the bottom of my vest? Double meh. And in 2 decades no one has given a fuck, so it's obviously working. Considering I've switched to carrying a full-size gun much of the time (about equivalent to a G17 in size), that's really saying something.

Good luck with the shopping! :thumbsup2:

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:33 pm

So many great (and even funny) answers. I will have to go back and read all of them in more detail.

mislabeled... I got a noob question for you (or anyone who can answer)... could there ever be any legal repercussions or consequences with your version of CC? I suppose there wouldn't be, in a state where both CC and OC are legal, right? I just want to clear it up. A cop isn't going to be like "pick one or the other, but no hybrids", right?

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Annalee wrote:
So many great (and even funny) answers. I will have to go back and read all of them in more detail.

mislabeled... I got a noob question for you (or anyone who can answer)... could there ever be any legal repercussions or consequences with your version of CC? I suppose there wouldn't be, in a state where both CC and OC are legal, right? I just want to clear it up. A cop isn't going to be like "pick one or the other, but no hybrids", right?

Nope, no legal issues. You can duct tape the thing to your forehead or have the muzzle sticking out the ass of your pants if you feel like it.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:

Nope, no legal issues. You can duct tape the thing to your forehead or have the muzzle sticking out the ass of your pants if you feel like it.

there are just too many ways to contort the forehead comment...I'll behave though.

Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:
there are just too many ways to contort the forehead comment...I'll behave though.

Don't worry, there's a thread for that... http://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=53859

Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:
joao01 wrote:

Don't worry, there's a thread for that... http://waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=53859

not quite in the same vain

Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3