Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:42 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 300 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
 Old Bolt-Action Rifles -- Pics and Info! 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bring out your Mosins, your Mausers, your 1903s, your Enfields, and Grandpa's old single-shot .22! I want to see photos of them, and any info that you care to share. :monkeydance:

We did a similar thing a while back for C&R Semi-Auto Rifles.

I'm going to kick it off with a 1945 Mauser K98k in caliber 8mm Mauser. This rifle was apparently assembled in Czechoslovakia from Nazi components, and it includes the large "winter trigger guard" which sets it apart from most Mausers. On the downside, it has been sporterized by removing the upper handguard, cutting back the stock and installing aftermarket sights. :( It also has some pitting on the outside of the barrel.

The bore looks GREAT, but I haven't shot it yet.

Anyone else? Remember, it doesn't need to be a show gun . . . but it must be old, and it must be a bolt-action! luxhello

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Thu May 26, 2011 9:29 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Remington Model 34, .22 Long, Short, LR. Tube Fed, Bolt Action. Extremely accurate with open sights and is one HEAVY SOB.

Thu May 26, 2011 9:42 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

Very cool, Dan. thumbsup

Here's my Arisaka Type 99, in caliber 7.7 Japanese. This rifle is in pretty good condition, and even has the anti-aircraft sights intact . . . but again, somebody has messed with the wood and shortened the stock and handguard a bit. angryfire The mum (chrysanthemum) on the receiver has been scrubbed, which occurred during WWII when the rifles were surrendered because this was the symbol of the Japanese emperor.

I haven't fired this one either . . . my ammo is on backorder. :( UPDATE: Just a few hours after posting this, I got notification that my ammo has shipped! This baby's headed to the range soon! :-bd

Next?

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Fri May 27, 2011 6:02 am
Founding Father
Founding Father

WOW! They REALLY scrubbed that one. Still a nice rifle and the AA sights are awesome.

Fri May 27, 2011 8:28 am

i will try and get a bunch of updated photos this weekend.

I am a bolt action whore. :D

Fri May 27, 2011 12:24 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next up is a Gewehr 91, manufactured in 1890. This is in caliber 8mm Mauser, and it has the "S" modification which means that the bore has been opened up slightly to modern dimensions.

Once again, somebody sporterized this stock by shortening it and removing the upper handguard.

As you can see, the serial number is 1823. There are matching numbers all over this rifle . . . "23" on all kinds of little parts, including screws. Put then, pull off the stock and there is a "24" on the stock itself. DAMN!! I'm guessing that somebody at the factory screwed up and switched stocks, but who knows. I obviously can't go back and ask. :)

I haven't shot this one either . . . yet. It should be safe to shoot, but I need to load some light 8mm loads for it, and I don't have all of the tools to load 8mm yet.

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat May 28, 2011 5:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1934 Tula Mosin. This is a "Winter War" capture marked rifle, the "41" stamps designate it was captured by the Finn's in the 1940-1941 conflict.
Interesting it has two of the 41 stamps, may have been captured TWICE during that period by the Finn's....Very unusual. The interesting thing about Finnish capture marked marked Russian rifles is, you are assured it was actually a Combat used rifle....The Russians didn't GIVE it to the Finn's, they "Took" it the hard way.
This rifle also has the early "Button" Bbl bands and "stacked" front sight, very uncommon. The sling slot attachment leather pieces are actually Pig skin, all in all, a very uncommon example of a Finn capture 91/30.

Enjoy!

usrifle

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat May 28, 2011 10:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a 1943 Tikka Barell'd M91 Infantry rifle. Another Finn rifle updated with a new barrel and reworked trigger and action by the Finn's.
I love the Long rifles, barrel is about 2 inches longer than a 91/30.

usrifle

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat May 28, 2011 10:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's an old New York Militia marked Remington rolling block carbine.. Another old and usual carbine.

usrifle

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat May 28, 2011 10:12 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finnish M28 rifle. Same rifle model used by Simo Hayha to kill over 500 Germans in a 90 period during the Finnish/Russian war. One of he most prolific "Sniper's" in history.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat May 28, 2011 10:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those are some gorgeous guns, usrifle! Thanks for sharing. Know anything more about that little rolling block?

Sat May 28, 2011 10:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hijacked this info from the Remington society site, much easier than typing it out myself!

New York State Militia Model 1873 Remington Rolling Block Carbine - caliber 50-70 Govt

The New York State Militia ordered 15,000 rifles in 1871, and in 1873 an additional 4,500 rifles and 1,500 saddle-ring carbines. All were chambered for the caliber .50-70 Govt centerfire cartridge. This was during a time when nearly all of the state militias were using surplus arms from Springfield Armory, and the U.S. armed forces began phasing out the 50-70 cartridge in favor of the .45-70 Govt cartridge. Not only did the New York State government stray from the trends of the U.S. Army in the purchase of their own arms and ammunition from a company in their home state, but the .50-70 rolling block remained their standard arm until the late 1890s. They did, however, use the locking-action (with half-cock safety) that was used in the Springfield Model 1871. The configuration is a saddle-ring carbine with 22-inch barrel, and left-sided frame-mounted saddle-ring. The only receiver markings are the Remington patent dates, ending in 1871, on the upper tang. The hammer is unique in having an unusually highly arched spur, the breechblock spur protrudes horizontally, and both have shield-shaped checkering (rather than the usual simple cross-hatching). There may be up to three cartouches on the buttstock; on the left, RPB on the wrist and HSH in the middle, and on the right wrist, SNY, but some guns will have the HSH in a serpentine banner outline on the left wrist. The correct rear sight is the standard Remington flip-up carbine sight, though some examples are found with a rifle sight in its place.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat May 28, 2011 12:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is great! Thank you for the information. :tiphat: I bet that thing would be an absolute blast to play around with. I love a gun with a lot of history.

Sat May 28, 2011 12:48 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Damn, I step away from the computer for just a few hours to go play Shoot On The Move, and when I come back I find that the big boys have come out to play! woohoo

Great collection, usrifle. Thanks for sharing!

I was going to ask about the carbine, but CoyoteJLR beat me to it. That M28 is a GORGEOUS rifle, for sure. yllove

Member, NAGR/NFGR

Sat May 28, 2011 2:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Gents, i have lot's more. :lol:

Finn m27 Army Rifle.

Click on the pics to enlarge, otherwise this page will take forever to load.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat May 28, 2011 4:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 300 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next