Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Legal Services 

I will be moving to Olympia later this month and starting my own law practice in the Thurston County area. I have about four years of experience defending cases in Montana, California, and North Dakota. Moving back to the northwest to be closer to my family.

Hopefully no one here needs my defense services, but I focus on criminal defense, with an emphasis on self-defense and defensive shooting cases. As a lawyer and someone who carries regularly, I recognize the challenges in defending these types of charges. I've never been in a defensive shooting situation but many of my clients have been, so I have a lot of empathy for those circumstances. I am already affiliated with the United States Concealed Carry Association and have pending applications with Armed Citizens Network, CCWSafe, Second Call Defense, and Patriot Legal Protection.

I have written a handful of pre-Rule 41P NFA gun trusts as well if anyone needs one. I haven't determined prices yet but probably in the $250 range.

Also interested in volunteering a few hours of time to shooting ranges in the area pro bono.

Contact info: James@ThompsonLawOffice.org, 503-887-8713 (cell phone).

Last edited by JOThompson on Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:58 am, edited 4 times in total.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:41 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JOThompson wrote:
I will be moving to Olympia later this month and starting my own law practice in the Thurston County area. I have about four years of experience defending cases in Montana, California, and North Dakota. Moving back to the northwest to be closer to my family.

Hopefully no one here needs my defense services, but I specialize in criminal defense, with an emphasis on self-defense and defensive shooting cases. As a lawyer and someone who carries regularly, I recognize the challenges in defending these types of charges. I've never been in a defensive shooting situation but several of my clients have been, so I have a lot of empathy for those circumstances.

I have written a handful of pre-Rule 41P NFA gun trusts as well if anyone needs one. I haven't determined prices yet but probably in the $250-400 range.

Are you a member of the Armed Citizens' Legal Defense Network or a Network Affiliated Attorney?

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:46 am

I've been approached by some of those organizations, including CCWSafe (headed up by Don West from the George Zimmerman defense). I'm a member of the US Concealed Carry Association. I have an application in now with the Armed Citizens Network and CCWSafe. I think everyone who owns or especially carries a gun should have some type of self-defense insurance. Probably will never be used, but it's critical if you ever are involved in a defensive shooting.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:06 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most of us use NW Legal, and get a trust for $97.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:50 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

golddigger14s wrote:
Most of us use NW Legal, and get a trust for $97.

You mean NW Gun Law Group? And the very basic trust is $97. I would assume a custom trust would fetch more.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:34 am
Profile WWW

Good to know. The premade, boilerplate trusts by GunDocX are some of the better ones that I've seen. I'm offering customized NFA trusts for anyone who wants an additional level of detail or protection. I don't use fill-in-the-blank software or an automated program to write mine. I've written and reviewed every line of the trust. Not really my main line of business but just want to offer it to members who need it.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JOThompson wrote:
Good to know. The premade, boilerplate trusts by GunDocX are some of the better ones that I've seen. I'm offering customized NFA trusts for anyone who wants an additional level of detail or protection. I don't use fill-in-the-blank software or an automated program to write mine. I've written and reviewed every line of the trust. Not really my main line of business but just want to offer it to members who need it.

welcomewgo

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JOThompson wrote:

Nice. Where did you get your JD?

"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:22 pm

jdhbulseye wrote:
JOThompson wrote:

Nice. Where did you get your JD?

University of Iowa. I did my undergrad at George Fox near Salem, Oregon.

Almost went to Seattle University or University of Oregon for law school, but it was cheaper to move to the midwest for a few years. Got tired of the frigid weather and lack of trees :)

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum and area. I have a law practice in Tacoma. I sent you a PM with some more specifics.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you guys set up a play date to chase ambulances can I tag along?

Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Be sure to post your contact info so that someone can reach out to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JOThompson wrote:

Hopefully no one here needs my defense services, but I focus on criminal defense, with an emphasis on self-defense and defensive shooting cases. As a lawyer and someone who carries regularly, I recognize the challenges in defending these types of charges. I've never been in a defensive shooting situation but many of my clients have been, so I have a lot of empathy for those circumstances. I am already affiliated with the United States Concealed Carry Association and have pending applications with Armed Citizens Network, CCWSafe, Second Call Defense, and Patriot Legal Protection.

I have written a handful of pre-Rule 41P NFA gun trusts as well if anyone needs one. I haven't determined prices yet but probably in the $250 range.

Also interested in volunteering a few hours of time to shooting ranges in the area pro bono.

If you need case management software help for your single shingle, give me a jingle.

Tis what I do.

Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]