Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:46 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 CCW in NICU? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know we can't carry in children's hospitals, but what about NICU?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:04 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

joao01 wrote:

Where is it written you can't carry in kids hospital? RCW?

Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
joao01 wrote:

Where is it written you can't carry in kids hospital? RCW?

I'm pretty sure. I can look in a couple days when I get to a PC, if no one else knows.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Again there are differences to LAWS (RCW) and what guidelines and rules of a hospital may be (exept mental hospitals and jails). :timeout:
The rules / outlines for a hospital are not LAW...

Your CPL is not restricted by a hospital or stadium for sporting events (music is another issue).
You buying a ticket or being on premise is an agreement to follow said rules... behaviors, etc

*Do know there are other laws (e.g. trespass, etc) that may come into play but those are not RCW Laws covering the legal carry of CPL carriers.

So no. In Washington State - Hospitals are not listed - for example like Federal/State Courthouses, Bars, etc as "restricted" places that are covered in the RCW.

Finally, on the other hand... by having a CPL does not mean once asked to leave... you can stay. And as the saying goes... "concealed is concealed" :thumbsup2:

For those like me.... :wavey:

CCW - Conceal Carry Weapon - does not apply to Washington State - WA CPL is strictly for pistol (hence CPL)... a ccw in other states covers all sorts of "weapons"
NICU - Neonatal Intensive Care Unit - refers to the department that cares for neonates (think really really small babies).

Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Concealed is concealed......

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know for a fact that in nicu, if you print or your carry weapon is seen, you will get in a ton of trouble if caught. they will do everything to include banning you from the hospital.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have carried in hospitals lots of times not against the law from what I know and what they don't know won't hurt them

Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:34 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

If by 'a ton of trouble' you mean being asked to leave, sure.
More like an ounce of trouble.

Like the park ranger told my buddy "Unless you're waving your gun around pointing it at people, how would we know if you're carrying a gun in a federal building? Not like we have metal detectors."

Mr. Q wrote:
I know for a fact that in nicu, if you print or your carry weapon is seen, you will get in a ton of trouble if caught. they will do everything to include banning you from the hospital.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When our son was born, the nurse asked us for a list of our belongings costing over $100. Basically to document what we came in with to deter theft. I declared my Benchmade pocket knife because it was over the threshold. The nurse told me they were not allowed and that I needed to leave it in my car.

So, while there's no law saying as such, there are policies. If they ask you to leave, they are well within their right to do so because its private property. Decide what's more important to you...

Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guntrader wrote:
If by 'a ton of trouble' you mean being asked to leave, sure.
More like an ounce of trouble.

Like the park ranger told my buddy "Unless you're waving your gun around pointing it at people, how would we know if you're carrying a gun in a federal building? Not like we have metal detectors."

Mr. Q wrote:

In the last hospital I worked in with a nicu, there were armed security posted. It's a pretty sensitive area, baby theft is a real thing. I guess "ton" is a bit dramatic, but I wouldn't want to do something that would get me banned from going to see my sick infant.

Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
When our son was born, the nurse asked us for a list of our belongings costing over $100. Basically to document what we came in with to deter theft. I declared my Benchmade pocket knife because it was over the threshold. The nurse told me they were not allowed and that I needed to leave it in my car.

So, while there's no law saying as such, there are policies. If they ask you to leave, they are well within their right to do so because its private property. Decide what's more important to you...

This last year I spent a ton of time in hospitals. When the nurses asked me questions like that I lied my ass off. I didn't give a crap about their "theft prevention" motives, I knew that nobody was going to steal the firearm I carried all the time.

As for "printing", if you do, your concealment practice needs some work or you need to carry a smaller firearm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
edogg wrote:

This last year I spent a ton of time in hospitals. When the nurses asked me questions like that I lied my ass off. I didn't give a crap about their "theft prevention" motives, I knew that nobody was going to steal the firearm I carried all the time.

As for "printing", if you do, your concealment practice needs some work or you need to carry a smaller firearm.

Had I known that would be the nurse's reaction, I wouldn't have said anything.

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

edogg wrote:
deadshot2 wrote:
edogg wrote:

Had I known that would be the nurse's reaction, I wouldn't have said anything.

One nurse saw me taking my personal meds (a blood pressure pill, an arthritis med, and a statin) one morning (I stayed in the hospital with my wife every day and night she was in one) and demanded that I "turn over my meds so they could be kept in the safe". I told her "sorry I'm not your patient so go bother someone else". When she persisted I told her I'd be contacting hospital management and maybe she'd like to continue the conversation with a department head or patient services. Suddenly she had something else to do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow that's ridiculous. Glad she relented when you held your ground but that's stupid you had to have the conversation in the first place.

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fascinating, but does anyone know what state law says?

Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next