Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Hot Sauce 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I've been on this hot sauce kick as of late, and I've been sampling hot sauces all over. I love Franks, and I've been putting that shit on everything, but I want more heat with good flavor. As I sample more and more I've been a big fan of Secret Aardvark Habanero sauce, and their Drunken Jerk sauce. Both are super tasty. I also like Melinda's Naga Jolokia sauce as it brings the heat and has great flavor. So what is your favorite hot sauce? One that brings the heat but still has great taste.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:09 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sambal Oelek

and

Chili Garlic Sauce

Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You can never go wrong with any of Melinda's sauces.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My favorite is Cholula, not really hot but good flavor. I also will go for Tapatio as second place.

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In Mexican style hot sauce Tapatio is my favorite, Cholula is really good too as JDH mentions

In Louisiana style, have been using Trappey's Red Devil Cayenne as it's way cheaper than Tabasco and just as good.

Habanero hot sauces have a couple favorites. A lot of them seem to come from Belize:
- Yucatan Sunshine is pretty mild with good flavor
- Marie Sharp's Habanero Hot is a bit spicier
- Frankie V's Kitchen Orange Label Habanero has really good bite and flavor to it

Have a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce. That stuff is HOT and I now own what is likely to be a lifetime supply.

For over the top ridiculousness there is this extract. Every review on Amazon is a cautionary tale of woe:
https://www.amazon.com/Source-Sauce-Million-Scoville-Units/dp/B001BIXJG2/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1479650018&sr=8-1&keywords=the+source+hot+sauce

Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good call on the Yucatan Sunshine geekswithguns. I'm hooked on that one right now.
I'm on a hot sauce kick right now as well but haven't ordered anything online as of yet. The hottest locally sourced sauce I have found easily available was at Fred Meyer on the Spanish food type isle not with the rest of the hot sauce. El Yucateco Xxxtra hot. Really tasty but if I eat too much it eats a hole in my stomach and burns my ass, so a little goes a long way.
Check out the web show Hot Ones. That's responsible for my hot sauce craze right now. Dude eats a Carolina reaper two different times. What a nut! He interviews celebs while they eat progressively hotter hot wings. The Eddie Huang episode is a good starter if any of you decide to check it out. Imagecheck it out.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the_chadman wrote:
Good call on the Yucatan Sunshine geekswithguns. I'm hooked on that one right now.
I'm on a hot sauce kick right now as well but haven't ordered anything online as of yet. The hottest locally sourced sauce I have found easily available was at Fred Meyer on the Spanish food type isle not with the rest of the hot sauce. El Yucateco Xxxtra hot. Really tasty but if I eat too much it eats a hole in my stomach and burns my ass, so a little goes a long way.
Check out the web show Hot Ones. That's responsible for my hot sauce craze right now. Dude eats a Carolina reaper two different times. What a nut! He interviews celebs while they eat progressively hotter hot wings. The Eddie Huang episode is a good starter if any of you decide to check it out. check it out.

The few times I watched that show on the web, fricking hilarious!

Count me in on the Yucatan Sunshine. That is typically my generic go to sauce. Drives the wife nuts that I put it on so many things!

If I want a little generic smokey acid, I actually always have Tabasco Chipoltle on hand. You have to pair it up correctly but for a low cost mass produced sauce, not so bad. I like the Mexican Bufalo Chipotle as well, but it's a tad more viscous and not in a lot of stores, even tiendas.

If you can find Salsa Huichol I really like the flavor of these.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

the_chadman wrote:
Check out the web show Hot Ones. That's responsible for my hot sauce craze right now. Dude eats a Carolina reaper two different times. What a nut! He interviews celebs while they eat progressively hotter hot wings. The Eddie Huang episode is a good starter if any of you decide to check it out.

Yeah, the Hot Ones show is a fun watch. I actually have a bottle of their own sauce and it is tasty. I've been using Trader Joe's Smoked Ghost Pepper grinder, and that is great on everything too.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My favorite is this Mezetta brand habenero hot sauce but it became very difficult to find at the usual stores. I had to switch to this new stuff that is pretty damn good too.

I try to stay away from any hot sauce where the first ingredient listed is vinegar. The vinegar based hot sauces taste like shit. I need more flavor with my heat.

The triple XXX stuff that Chadman listed above looks interesting enough to try.

ImageImage

Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Siracha

Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Siracha

I don't really like the sodium metabisulfite loaded Sriracha. Try the Trader Joe's variety. You will never go back!!

Oh I love the Mazzetta habanero - and yes the El Yucoteca products are good. Salsa Huichol habanero has vinegar way down the list Ingredients: chili peppers, spices, iodized salt, and vinegar.

Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:21 pm

My favorite by a long shot is secret aardvark. My first bottle lasted a week. I coat chicken wings in it, a pizza slice gets 15 or so drops, and don't get me started on a breakfast scramble....

Mexican I like valentina black label it's hotter than the regular stuff, El Yucateco Chipotle and the red one are good.

Asian. Cock sauce, sambal, and the recipe that MadPick posted here a few months ago.

Louisiana brand and Texas Pete extra spicy

Dave's insanity tastes like shit, they just throw a bunch of hot ass peppers together to make it stupid hot and not taste like one pepper. Waste of time. Most of the stupid hot ones taste like shit.

I had an extract in a vile that was so hot that 3 drops in a pot of chili was too much for some friends I had over. Ended up tossing it because you really couldn't use it, one drop on your plate sized meal was more than enough, if you accidently did 2 drops you couldn't eat it.

I'm going to type out 3 paragraphs and wax eloquently about a similar story in my life. Pm me if you figured it out.

Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

old11bravo wrote:
My favorite is this Mezetta brand habenero hot sauce but it became very difficult to find at the usual stores. I had to switch to this new stuff that is pretty damn good too.

I try to stay away from any hot sauce where the first ingredient listed is vinegar. The vinegar based hot sauces taste like shit. I need more flavor with my heat.

The triple XXX stuff that Chadman listed above looks interesting enough to try.

I LOVE my hot sauces! I like lots of different kinds, and I completely agree about not wanting to see vinegar at the top of the ingredient list. Sometimes I want something super hot so I can use just a little to add heat without changing the flavor of a dish. But usually I like sauces that bring good flavor to the food.
The Mezetta can be found (for a great price!) at Cash & Carry, and is a staple in my fridge.

Here's a couple of my go-to fav's:

Mo Hotta Mo Betta Red Savina Habanero Hot Sauce - Good heat, great slightly sweet flavor, & very simple ingredients:
Ingredients: Fresh Mango, Red Savina Habanero Peppers, Cider Vinegar, Lime Juice, Fresh Garlic, and Salt.
https://www.mohotta.com/product/red-savina-habanero-hot-sauce/Mo-Hotta-Hot-Sauces
Check out the rest of the website, these guys and hotsauce.com have absolutely the largest selection anywhere!

Bufalo Chipotle Hot Sauce - A thick and very smoky chipotle sauce that I like WAY better than the Tabasco chipotle, and it's usually dirt cheap at your local Mexican grocery store. I know what I said about vinegar, but the smokiness covers up any strong taste of it.
http://www.herdeztraditions.com/bufalo-products/bufalo-chipotle-hot-sauce/

Besides those, and the Mezzetta Habanero Sunshine already mentioned, here's the list of bottles currently residing in their dedicated door bucket of the fridge:

Melinda's Naga Jolokia - As someone said, all of the Melinda's are good! I'm going to try the Mango version next. They all have carrots in them, which I like, but it's not a strong flavor.
Dave's Insanity Ghost Pepper - Just a little bit in a bowl of chili....
Pico Pica Hot Sauce - NOT the taco sauce. Another cheap but good all around sauce - has zero vinegar in it.
El Yucateco Black Label Reserve - Another one with no vinegar, and cheap at the Mexi-mart
Zaaschila Guacamole with Serrano - More like a thick hot sauce than guacamole, and has a decent kick to it.
Cholula - Regular and Lime - good flavor and mild enough for my kids to use
Sriracha
Tabasco Jalapeno - only because my son likes it

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:16 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I have a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce from 2001.
Doesn't really have any flavor, just makes your mouth and lips burn.
Buddy of mine tried a big glob on a cracker, was sneezing for a half hour.

Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:34 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

I have a habanero sauce from Humbolt County that I have been enjoying for the past year. Hot Ones inspired me to try the wing challenge and I went up to Spontaneous Combustion which is 400-500K scolvile units. I also roasted habaneros and jalapeños then ground them up. I add them to salsa or curry often.

The Carolina Reaper scares me though. I think I find my upper limit. My order of Hot Ones sauce is on the way.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next