Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Boomershoot 2017 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So my wife and I were informed of Boomershoot, and we are definitely going.

I'm starting to piece together what we want for the event, it seems like long range is the order of the day.

Is a .308 Remington 700 Heavy Barrel going to reach out enough? Should I be looking at picking up a rifle in .300 win mag?
If I'm shooting .308, generally what ammo should we bring for long range? Federal 150 grain power shok is giving us sub moa groups, it's very affordable, but does it have the legs?
How much ammo should we bring, page advises between 100 and 200 per day, but there's two of us..?
Our current scope is a 3-9x Nikon, need more power?
It's probably worth buying a back up rifle for the weekend right? Would a .223 bolt action be useful at this event (I don't really feel like getting another .308 bolt action).
What to bring? I see people setting up benches, shelter, chairs, food, targets (paper, stands, soft toys), gun care / maintenance stuff?
Where to stay?

Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:51 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You need something that can hit eight inches up to 700 yards away.
You need greater than a 3-9x40 scope, something that can see an eight inch target far away.
Yes, bring a back up weapon.
Weather can be very nasty, you will need protection from the elements.
I'm a purist, all I need is a sleeping pad/bipod but it can get muddy.
And the wind, snow and rain can whip up there pretty quick. You will be out in the elements for near nine hours (maybe).
And bring a spotting scope for your spotter, you will need it.
You see everything is tied down, right?
I HIGHLY recommend Gene's class Friday if you can make it.
Some (much) of the stuff below I think is going overboard, if you cannot hump it on your back for a day, don't bring/use it. I am a purist. However, a good scope/rifle combination is helpful and you will learn accounting for wind/snow/rain.
Shots below are what some other people have brought.
Don't bring cheap ass Barska/China crap.
It can get very muddy if it rains, so bring a truck with clearance.
I have a friend who brings a small Honda; doable but makes it hard. He also arrives late, leaves early.
I've seen sniper Mosins and milsurp, it is cool to see how good it is. It is the man, less the equipment.
I brought a FAL with a 4x scope once, I could reach that far but the eight inch target was hard to dial in.
A heavier barrel is good since your barrel will heat up. A hunting rifle could work but it will heat up quick. Target rifle, not hunting rifle unless you like waiting around for the barrel to cool, same for my FAL.
Sunday is theatrics day.
Match ammo or reloaded ammo is the way to go.
I had a friend bring a .223 but it was a heavy bullet and less of a straight shooter. He is super OC and everything loaded beforehand for 700 yards. And zero it out BEFORE you go.
Multiple rifles can alleviate the barrel getting hot.
Stay at the Konkleville Hotel. Eat there. Get the steak dinner. Reserve early. Lot of people will go there.
Goretex, bring it, wear it. Long underwear. Hats, gloves, rain gear. Sunglasses. Boots of course. Bring something to heat up food and water. You may have a concessionaire there, probably not. Warm food goes a long way. Take time to stop at the IGA supermarket on your way.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Where can I find out more about this?

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[url][/url]
Chrisb9381 wrote:
Where can I find out more about this?

Google is your friend :bigsmile:

http://www.boomershoot.org/2017/blast.htm

An overall description is available here too;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boomershoot

Be aware, April in Orifino, ID can be not just a little cool/wet, it can be downright NASTY.

Like most hobby sports like auto racing and competitive shooting, there will be a lot of big money setups there. Don't be intimidated if you just show up with your $1,000 rifle like a 5-R Milspec with a $500 scope. Just bring plenty of ammo and shoot until you make something happen downrange. Won't matter if it's "One Shot-One Kill", it's all about the "BOOM" :bigsmile:

Oh yeah, a good battery operated fan to help kill barrel mirage as you shoot. Put it on an ammo box or whatever with the air directed at the barrel just ahead of the scope. Will blow the barrel mirage away and also speed barrel cooling during breaks. They run from ~$8 to $15 from Amazon and run on a D-Cell. Mine works great and the battery is good for about a day and a half running constantly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PinSniper wrote:
So my wife and I were informed of Boomershoot, and we are definitely going.

I'm starting to piece together what we want for the event, it seems like long range is the order of the day.

Is a .308 Remington 700 Heavy Barrel going to reach out enough? YES

Should I be looking at picking up a rifle in .300 win mag?

Wouldn't hurt but NO

If I'm shooting .308, generally what ammo should we bring for long range? Federal 150 grain power shok is giving us sub moa groups, it's very affordable, but does it have the legs?

Federal Gold Match SMK 168 gr or 175 gr.

How much ammo should we bring, page advises between 100 and 200 per day, but there's two of us..?

I think I shot about 300 rounds last year.

Our current scope is a 3-9x Nikon, need more power?

It's probably worth buying a back up rifle for the weekend right? Would a .223 bolt action be useful at this event (I don't really feel like getting another .308 bolt action).

.223 may work out to 400 yard line but probably does not have enough energy to reliable cause targets to explode at 600 yards.

What to bring? I see people setting up benches, shelter, chairs, food, targets (paper, stands, soft toys), gun care / maintenance stuff? YES YES YES Warm clothes water proof boots.

Where to stay? Konkolville, motel Orofino

See answers in quoted text.

Oh, and the most important thing to bring is a good spotter. :snipersmilie:

Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks guys!

My wife and I don't camp, so the motel would probably be cheaper for us than getting a equipment we don't already have or have room for at home. I'll have to plan carefully I think what food will work out there! We'll be sure to rent an SUV for the weekend.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What is the longest distance you have shot at?

Do you run a ballistics app? This will help improve your odds but at the end of the day, the wind will be your enemy.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Longest shot has been 250, we both plan to take the long range course to hopefully improve. between now and boomershoot we're going to go through a practice schedule. Try determine if our gun likes which ammo. I've bought a few upgrades on our 10/22 to help practice.

I'm an engineer so I've been reading up on the calculations needed for each ammo at specific distance.

Could use a good book recommendation though!

Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.308 drops about 5 feet at 500 yards.

Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:

The first time I read this, I read "inches" and was wondering what you were smokin'. :)

Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:48 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
golddigger14s wrote:

The first time I read this, I read "inches" and was wondering what you were smokin'. :)

For something like Boomershoot I sure wouldn't be tossing 150 gr Ballistic Silvertips at the target.

For my .308 I'd be using Hornady 178 gr ELD-M's or 178gr A-Max with a much higher BC.

In the 6.5 Creedmoor I'd use 140gr ELD-M's.

The ELD-M's can have a BC almost 200 "points" higher and teh heavier bullet won't be tossed around by the wind. The 150 gr Silvertip's have a G-1 BC of .435. while the 178 ELD-M is .547. In the Creedmoor, the 140gr ELD-M's BC is mere .646.

At a shoot like this "hunting" bullets would not be my choice with the distance and wind.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, there are match bullets and there are Boom-Stick-Make-Dead bullets.

I just used the graph as an example...when I read "5 inches" by mistake.... :)

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:

True but if you want to make targets at Boomershoot that are out there at 600-700 yards go BOOM, consider match bullets.

Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

deadshot2 wrote:
sportsdad60 wrote:

True but if you want to make targets at Boomershoot that are out there at 600-700 yards go BOOM, consider match bullets.

no doubt about that.

For Ought-6, I'm using a 175 gr Sierra that groups nicely at 200, 1/2" MOA.
For hunting, 150 or 160gr.

Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:19 pm

I went a few years ago, and damn it was worth the money, and I think I was there with about the worst possible rifle.
DMPS AR10 in 308win
with cheap glass on the rifle.

After burning all the ammo I flew in with, about 500 rounds, I was getting damn good with that rifle.

I was able to hit all of my targets on the first berm ~380ish yards with out any issues.
I was also able to hit the steel that was up on the hill around ~550ish yards. I did not hit any of the reactive targets out there, but was not trying on them either, I did leave them for the people that were shoot better than I was.

Oddly I found the ammo I had the best luck with as the cheap Winchester 180grn soft skin game stuff.

If you can swing the time and the ticket it is well worth going, at least once.

Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next