Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:01 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Review - Angel Armor "Ally One" 
Site Admin
Site Admin

WaGuns Blog wrote:
At the 2017 SHOT SHOW, one of the items that turned all of our heads were the offerings from Angel Armor. From magnetic ballistic plates to inserts that slide into your car door, they seemed obsessed with making everything bulletproof.

One of their products was called the “Ally One”. It is a 9″x13″ ballistic “shield” that weighs less than a pound and is less than 1/4″ thick.

We were able to pick one of these up at SHOT with the intention of seeing what it really could do. When I was talking to the Angel Armor staff, I asked if they had tested it against the Federal HST, which is a leading choice in carry ammo. They told me they had not. A lightbulb went off in my head and I knew what needed to happen.

Read the entire review and watch the YouTube Video here: http://blog.waguns.org/?p=192

Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is pretty impressive indeed. :thumbsup2: Less than a 1/4" thick and defeats multiple 9mm +P hits.

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I got one and I'm buying more - let me know if you guys want in on a group buy.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Benja455 wrote:

What do they cost Ben?

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:07 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Benja455 wrote:

I'll be starting an official group buy thread here in a couple days. I reached out to Chris at Angel Armor to verify pricing and details.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:07 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

usrifle wrote:
That is pretty impressive indeed. :thumbsup2: Less than a 1/4" thick and defeats multiple 9mm +P hits.

I don't have one but I had a chance to play with it at SHOT. Basically it feels kind of like a piece of cardboard. Pretty amazing.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any chance of seeing what this plate does against lighter 9mm, like 115gr +P, and whether it will stop them?

In my experience, velocity is king for armor penetration, and lower velocity loads like 147gr (+P or subsonic) are much less likely to penetrate than lighter faster loads.

Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
Any chance of seeing what this plate does against lighter 9mm, like 115gr +P, and whether it will stop them?

In my experience, velocity is king for armor penetration, and lower velocity loads like 147gr (+P or subsonic) are much less likely to penetrate than lighter faster loads.

This might answer your questions:

Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:10 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yondering wrote:

As Ben posted in the other video, it handles 115 just fine. They had a pretty long list of ammo that they have shot at the Ally One, but I wanted to focus on what they had NOT shot at it, that's still a common carry ammo, hence the HST's.

Also, take into consideration that this armor is meant to go into a messenger bag, backpack etc. So there is likely going to be books, a laptop, etc as well in the bullet path. If I had another plate, I have a sacrificial laptop that I would put into a backpack with this armor and shoot the shit out of it with various pistol and rifle ammo as more of a "real world" test. But the armor worked so well on it's own, that I don't even think that test would be needed.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:16 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow. Impressive.

Dan was this a demo piece for you?

If they could somehow make like a chest plate, how many of us actually carry back packs or laptop on a weekly routine

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:59 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

cmica wrote:
Wow. Impressive.

Dan was this a demo piece for you?

If they could somehow make like a chest plate, how many of us actually carry back packs or laptop on a weekly routine

I bought this panel at shot for demo. And they make a plethora of other products, rifle plates included.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:20 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Yondering wrote:

As Ben posted in the other video, it handles 115 just fine. They had a pretty long list of ammo that they have shot at the Ally One, but I wanted to focus on what they had NOT shot at it, that's still a common carry ammo, hence the HST's.

Also, take into consideration that this armor is meant to go into a messenger bag, backpack etc. So there is likely going to be books, a laptop, etc as well in the bullet path. If I had another plate, I have a sacrificial laptop that I would put into a backpack with this armor and shoot the shit out of it with various pistol and rifle ammo as more of a "real world" test. But the armor worked so well on it's own, that I don't even think that test would be needed.

About the only thing that is really a bullet stopper in a laptop is the hard drive and battery. Lots of "holes" in between. If I wanted some secondary protection I'd find some laptop thick phone books and then velcro this piece of "armor" to the inside surface of back panel on a backpack. Great for surviving a trip through the "hood" on your bicycle.

I waimpr impessed with the piece I saw this AM's breakfast.

I like the idea of panels that can slip inside car doors also.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have some ARX we can try also.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Yondering wrote:

Cool, thanks to both of you; I'd looked at their website for a couple minutes but didn't see details about their tests. I get the idea of trying what they hadn't tested, makes more sense now.

I like the idea of keeping this in a backpack, especially for high-school and college age kids.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
I have some ARX we can try also.

If you guys are going to test another plate, I'd be willing to donate a few rounds too, particularly the Lehigh 90gr Defense bullet in a +P+ 9mm load.

I haven't been very impressed in my tests of the ARX rounds (I tested 9mm and 45 Auto); they are a similar concept to the Lehigh "Extreme Defense" bullet but don't perform as well in either soft medium (water, paper, meat, possums) or in penetration of metal plate (see below). I haven't tried either one in actual armor though and it would be interesting to see the results in this Ally One plate.

I shot this 1/4" 6061 aluminum plate with a bunch of different rounds, you can see the 9mm ARX in the upper left. Slightly right of center, the 90gr Lehigh made the hole with 4 peeled-back edges, and destroyed a couple gallon water jugs behind it.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next