Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:36 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Washington State FAQ's on Gun Carry 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just in joy wrote:
thanks STB but that I do know already what I am trying to understand where is states someone can CC while fishing hunting ect...

Justin, I think he gave you exactly what you're looking for.

RCW 9.41.050 states, in part:

Quote:
(1)(a) Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.

In other words, you need a CPL if you're not at home or in your business.

Then RCW 9.41.060 states, in part:

Quote:
The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

In other words, the requirement of 9.41.050 (that you need a CPL) does not apply if you are legally fishing or traveling to/from fishing.

I am not a lawyer, of course . . . your interpretation may be different . . . but I think it's pretty clear.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:48 pm

Quick question for people without a CPL...

I was wondering can I open carry in my car or in a car? If so, do I have to leave the mag out? Am I allowed to still have it holstered or does it need to be in a box or what? Sorry for the noob question. Just need to know for open carrying without a cpl in a car. But I'm going to be getting my cpl soon and for the time being ill be open carrying

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:10 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

It can not be loaded. There is nothing else define besides "unloaded".

EDIT: Cite. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050

Quote:
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

And
Quote:
(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Last edited by BadKarma on Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:12 pm
Profile WWW

BadKarma wrote:

Thank you sir, that's good to know!

Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:28 pm

I have searched High and Low for an answer to carrying in a commercial vehicle ie; 18 wheeler. If I read the OP correctly if it is not illegal then it is legal.
Here's what I understand, please correct me if I am wrong. The USDOT leaves it up to the State. The State (WA) RCW makes no mention of "Commercial" vehicles and considers the rig a vehicle just and any other vehicle. The WADOT takes the same position as the feds and the RCW, that being, if you are legal to cc then you can cc in a commercial rig. However, the bottom line is your employer, if they say no, then that is their right.

Do I have that right?

Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DuckDodgers wrote:
I have searched High and Low for an answer to carrying in a commercial vehicle ie; 18 wheeler. If I read the OP correctly if it is not illegal then it is legal.
Here's what I understand, please correct me if I am wrong. The USDOT leaves it up to the State. The State (WA) RCW makes no mention of "Commercial" vehicles and considers the rig a vehicle just and any other vehicle. The WADOT takes the same position as the feds and the RCW, that being, if you are legal to cc then you can cc in a commercial rig. However, the bottom line is your employer, if they say no, then that is their right.

Do I have that right?

If they own the rig I would assume so. Keep in mind that any loaded handgun in a vehicle, concealed or not, requires a CPL.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:35 pm

CurtisLemansky wrote:
DuckDodgers wrote:

Do I have that right?

If they own the rig I would assume so. Keep in mind that any loaded handgun in a vehicle, concealed or not, requires a CPL.

Yup the CPL is a no brainer. I was just wondering about any regs regarding Commercial rigs.
The employer has the right to say no firearms in their rigs which makes sense.
Thanks for the reply

Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DuckDodgers wrote:

Do I have that right?

Possession of Firearms in Commercial Motor Vehicles
https://ntl.custhelp.com/app/answers/de ... RhbA%3D%3D

Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DuckDodgers wrote:
The employer has the right to say no firearms in their rigs which makes sense.

I think that's between the driver and the employer. The consequence of carrying against the owner's policy could be dismissal. But you're not going to have any issues with the police if you have a CPL, even if the owner says it isn't allowed.

Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What would you guys say about carrying in a non profit school connected to church? School is private with kidgeraden and preschool. I assume since it is considered school should still be no but wanted to hear other opinions

Buying, Selling, Lease w/option to buy, Raw Land

Jason Aubry 206-327-0075
jaubry321@gmail.com

Debi Braulik
roundrealestate@gmail.com

Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:00 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

jaminj wrote:
What would you guys say about carrying in a non profit school connected to church? School is private with kidgeraden and preschool. I assume since it is considered school should still be no but wanted to hear other opinions

That's a tough one...

RCW 9.41.280
http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.280

Quote:
(1) It is unlawful for a person to carry onto, or to possess on, public or private elementary or secondary school premises, school-provided transportation, or areas of facilities while being used exclusively by public or private schools:

Since this private school doesn't provide grades 1+, are they an elementary school?

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Since this private school doesn't provide grades 1+, are they an elementary school?

Section 6 (in buildings) is a little broader than section 1 (on premises):

Quote:
(6) Except as provided in subsection (3)(b), (c), (f), and (h) of this section, firearms are not permitted in a public or private school building.

Note if you have a CPL you can be on premises (but not in buildings per above) if you are picking up or dropping off a student.

Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know this may seem silly to ask but I was wondering. When someone decides to open carry are you allowed to have it loaded while you open carry or are you only allowed to have the mag in the gun and are only allowed to have it loaded if you have your cpl as well?

Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Brehmeyer wrote:
I know this may seem silly to ask but I was wondering. When someone decides to open carry are you allowed to have it loaded while you open carry or are you only allowed to have the mag in the gun and are only allowed to have it loaded if you have your cpl as well?

WA state does not make a distinction between the 2. Full mag unchambered is loaded.

So you should always chamber up onve you are comfortable doing so.

Guns make terrible clubs.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BadKarma wrote:

EDIT: Cite. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.050

Quote:
(2)(a) A person shall not carry or place a loaded pistol in any vehicle unless the person has a license to carry a concealed pistol and: (i) The pistol is on the licensee's person, (ii) the licensee is within the vehicle at all times that the pistol is there, or (iii) the licensee is away from the vehicle and the pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

And
Quote:
(3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

Loaded is defined in 9.41.010
(12) "Loaded" means:

(a) There is a cartridge in the chamber of the firearm;

(b) Cartridges are in a clip that is locked in place in the firearm;

(c) There is a cartridge in the cylinder of the firearm, if the firearm is a revolver;

(d) There is a cartridge in the tube or magazine that is inserted in the action; or

(e) There is a ball in the barrel and the firearm is capped or primed if the firearm is a muzzle loader.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next