Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Are you prepared? Just say no. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Guns4Liberty wrote:
I also don't have anything to treat infections. Those are the things I need to work on.

Fish antibiotics are good for this and there is plenty of info about how to identify/treat using them.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Calvet has a great selection and good expiration dates. Doomandbloom.com has pretty good information on usage.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How doe YOU guys store water?

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lessons from Hurricane Harvey:

summary:
Having Flashlights (and batteries) - good
Gasoline, unavailable.
Cash is king. No power for ATM's and cc's
Better have ammo and guns aforehand; NICS and retailers off-line/shelves bare
- crime is rampant as the BG's know the cops have their hands full
Flip-flops not good for walking

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/09/hurric ... z4s6MPJjU3

How do I store water:
water bricks NOT kept in the garage or around household chemicals which CAN leach right through the air and through the plastic containers (this is not a myth). Stored water is treated with Berkey Biofilm drops for 5 year rotation. ( I used to do bleach and 6 month rotation, but that is a huge chore)

several 55 gal food-grade drums, which I don't fill, are on hand along with chemicals for sterilization. Rain catchment barrel too.

several filters for mobility and back-up

iodine and another non-iodine tablet packet(s); again for mobility.

knowledge of location of several natural ground water sources nearby.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Water is one weak area for us. I'd like a 30-day supply but only have about 10 days, maybe 15 right now. I also need to get off my ass and fix our antibiotic situation. There are a lot more options for water nearby than there are for penicillin.

Thanks for the tip on Calvet, I'll check them out. I already visit the doomandbloom site, they have some really good info.

Pablo wrote:
How doe YOU guys store water?

I do it the lazy way, with 1-gallon jugs bought from the store. They go on sale for $1 each (or less), meaning for just $30 you can get a 30-day supply for 1 person. They're small enough to stash around the house (behind the couch, on the floor in the closet) and it's easy to rotate through one a month or so to be sure they're all fresh when you need them. I keep 3 in the car and rotate those through, too.

There are cheaper ways to do it but I'm willing to trade a little bit of $ if it means I can spend time on other things that aren't as easily fixed.

Last edited by mislabeled on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
How do I store water:
water bricks NOT kept in the garage or around household chemicals which CAN leach right through the air and through the plastic containers (this is not a myth). Stored water is treated with Berkey Biofilm drops for 5 year rotation. ( I used to do bleach and 6 month rotation, but that is a huge chore)

several 55 gal food-grade drums, which I don't fill, are on hand along with chemicals for sterilization. Rain catchment barrel too.

Thank you!!! :yes:

Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:

Pablo wrote:
How doe YOU FOLKS store water?

I do it the lazy way, with 1-gallon jugs bought from the store. They go on sale for $1 each (or less), meaning for just $30 you can get a 30-day supply for 1 person. They're small enough to stash around the house (behind the couch, on the floor in the closet) and it's easy to rotate through one a month or so to be sure they're all fresh when you need them. I keep 3 in the car and rotate those through, too.

There are cheaper ways to do it but I'm willing to trade a little bit of $ if it means I can spend time on other things that aren't as easily fixed.

Basically what I do now. I will also lay in a bank of 5 gallon jugs in an inert area of the garage. Thank you!

Medical: I bought 5 serious first aid kits. I know enough, my wife and my daughter are in the medical profession. We are ok in that department. A couple gallons of IPA, a stash of multiple tubes of anti-microbe grease, more wrappings, etc to supplement the kits.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:

Basically what I do now. I will also lay in a bank of 5 gallon jugs in an inert area of the garage. Thank you!

Medical: I bought 5 serious first aid kits. I know enough, my wife and my daughter are in the medical profession. We are ok in that department. A couple gallons of IPA, a stash of multiple tubes of anti-microbe grease, more wrappings, etc to supplement the kits.

I would certainly score points with the hubs if I came home with a couple gallons of this stuff.

Or do I not understand what you mean by "IPA?" :wink05:

Last edited by mislabeled on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Incidentally, the bio-film drops are on sale 1/3 off here:

http://www.directive21.com/products/ber ... ilm-drops/

I noticed a bunch of other good stuff on sale there now. but... pockets won't sustain purchases, must exercise self-discipline :frust:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mislabeled wrote:

Or do I not understand what you mean by "IPA?" :wink05:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ipa+alc ... 8&oe=utf-8

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I keep a minimum of 25 cases of 30pk bottled water on hand in addition to thr handful of 5 gallon jugs from crystal geyser.

I just recently put five 55 gallon rain catch barrels on my dpwn spouts as well.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
How do I store water:

I do things a little differently. I have 4 50 gal olive drums which are very crush resistant. In each, I have 12 gals of Arrow Head 1 gallon bottles and 24 man days worth of rations (2200 Cal per day), and other items of need. I can immediately open the drum, remove the contents, and have a container for water collection.

Since most of threats around here are earthquake related or would induce earthquakes. Being able to stage several crush proof stashes (week worth per drum depending on family size) in several areas to increase the chances of survival for each one I thought might be a good idea. Also since it is stocked based on 2200 cal per day, you can always cut back to 1200 and stretch it out longer as required, and ration the water a little tighter as required.

Your water now has two vapor barrier levels. Also in each kit is a large tarp for water collection and a Life Straw Family filter and siphon hose. I replace the water yearly, but it is only 6 bucks a case at the dollar store, and it is a known standard without further preservation. Not much of a hassle really.

I also have 4 15 Gal drums with GP water I can use for whatever and run through the Life Straw if it is required for drinking. Those are Food grade heavy polyethylene plastic with plumbing fit Bongs, so vapors are are less of a factor with regard to seals (smaller area).

It might not be right, but that is how I did it.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

skey wrote:
Pablo wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
How do I store water:

I do things a little differently. I have 4 50 gal olive drums which are very crush resistant. In each, I have 12 gals of Arrow Head 1 gallon bottles and 24 man days worth of rations (2200 Cal per day), and other items of need. I can immediately open the drum, remove the contents, and have a container for water collection.

Since most of threats around here are earthquake related or would induce earthquakes. Being able to stage several crush proof stashes (week worth per drum depending on family size) in several areas to increase the chances of survival for each one I thought might be a good idea. Also since it is stocked based on 2200 cal per day, you can always cut back to 1200 and stretch it out longer as required, and ration the water a little tighter as required.

Your water now has two vapor barrier levels. Also in each kit is a large tarp for water collection and a Life Straw Family filter and siphon hose. I replace the water yearly, but it is only 6 bucks a case at the dollar store, and it is a known standard without further preservation. Not much of a hassle really.

I also have 4 15 Gal drums with GP water I can use for whatever and run through the Life Straw if it is required for drinking. Those are Food grade heavy polyethylene plastic with plumbing fit Bongs, so vapors are are less of a factor with regard to seals (smaller area).

Great stuff. Where did you get the olive drums?

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
skey wrote:
Pablo wrote:
jukk0u wrote:
How do I store water:

Great stuff. Where did you get the olive drums?

https://www.eaglepeakcontainer.com/ Since they were designed for overseas shipping, I think the house could fall on it, and you could retrieve it. Which was sort of the objective.

We did a pallet deal from the company direct with a couple of guys work a couple of years back. I think it cost us about 35 each. I just checked and they all go to dealers these days. You would probably have to give them a call to see if they have any dealers in the area. They also have a dealer listing, but I didn't see any locally (206 or 425 area code). It would be a great group buy since everyone should have at least one destruction resistant stash.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:40 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I was more prepared before my Mormon neighbor moved.

Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next