Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:39 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next
 Sous-vide cooking 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WanderingWalrus wrote:
You can deep fry garlic at home. You end up with deep fried garlic and a fantastic garlic oil....

Edit to add: I was on that cooking mad easy site last night to figure out what weight of Xanthan gum to use, to make a sauce. My wife has decided to try the keto diet, so I suddenly had to figure out how to thicken a sauce for chinese type cooking, without using cornflour.

thumbsup to your wife on the keto diet. I'm interested to hear how it goes for her. It's a bit of an adjustment at first, since finding foods without carbs can be tricky at times unless you're willing to make/prepare it yourself. The gf and I have been sticking to it since September, and we've both seen tremendous results.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:34 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
A little surf & turf:

Oh my, I know what is next on my list of things to sous vide. A few weeks ago Safeway had a deal on lobster tails, so they're just hanging out in the freezer waiting for me.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:35 am

moktor wrote:
thumbsup to your wife on the keto diet. I'm interested to hear how it goes for her. It's a bit of an adjustment at first, since finding foods without carbs can be tricky at times unless you're willing to make/prepare it yourself. The gf and I have been sticking to it since September, and we've both seen tremendous results.

We're more than happy to cook. Recipes are what we lack. Want to start a keto recipe thread with ones you've used and enjoyed?

Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^ +1
I need to lose ~50lbs in 9 months and I’d love some recipes that work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WanderingWalrus wrote:
You can deep fry garlic at home. You end up with deep fried garlic and a fantastic garlic oil....

Edit to add: I was on that cooking mad easy site last night to figure out what weight of Xanthan gum to use, to make a sauce. My wife has decided to try the keto diet, so I suddenly had to figure out how to thicken a sauce for chinese type cooking, without using cornflour.

One way to thicken sauces would be with gelatin. It's basically protein (cellulose) from animals, and is both keto & Paleo friendly.

If its something like a soup, or something with content (onions, etc), you can make a little extra, then take 1/3 out & blend it a little, and then add it back.

A third option is to make a double-batch of the sauce, and then reduce it. The only caveat with that is, it will need adjusting, as the flavors will concentrate, too, and you don't want it to be over-powering (or maybe you do :thumbsup2: )

Gelatin is probably easiest to start with....

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:05 pm

Gelatin is one I use a lot, already, but it doesn't thicken until it cools. Xanthan gum thickens as it hydrates over the course of about 30 seconds, and will do so from cold.

Gelatin is great for soups and stocks, but for the soy/sesame sauce for beef with broccoli I didn't think it was the right choice. Reducing extra sauce wasn't an option in this case - the recipe I was mostly working from ended up with 250 calories of food and 50% of your salt intake for the day. Doubling the sauce made almost entirely from soy sauce and reducing it would have been far too salty. (It was too salty as it was, actually).

Incidentally, you get a great beef stock from doing chuck roast sous-vide - makes an excellent french onion soup.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Oh, didn't realize it was for a soy sauce-based sauce.

Soy sauce isn't really keto-friendly, so my mind went in a different direction.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:33 pm

Is it not? I should check in to that further. My wife found that recipe on a keto site..

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WanderingWalrus wrote:
Is it not? I should check in to that further. My wife found that recipe on a keto site..

I think if you google 'is soy sauce ketone', you'll find some 'no's....

Soy sauce has wheat in it, hence gluten.

Some substitute Tamari, but it doesn't quite have the flavor, and tastes flatter.

I haven't tried this yet, but this girl has a recipe for a soy sauce/tamari substitute. I've tried other recipes of hers that we're good.

https://meljoulwan.com/2014/03/01/subst ... ut-aminos/

Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Almost all large branded soy sauces I know of have roasted wheat in it as flavoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:47 pm

We took a quick look. It's not great, but it's okay in small quantities. 1 tablespoon of soy sauce has 1 gram of carbs. For coconut aminos it's 1 teaspoon for a gram. They both add up pretty quick.

Thanks for the pointers on that one - it was an "oh, yeah" moment once you'd reminded me it was made from wheat, but it totally hadn't occurred to me until it was said here.

Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's another site with Sous Vide cooking times, temps, & explanations:

http://www.molecularrecipes.com/sous-vi ... mperature/

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For those of you nervous nellies worried about zip locks, here are reusable silicone bags:
https://wooxify.com/products/reusable-s ... -food-bags

Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:52 pm
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

8 ounce egg bits with bacon and peppers and gyuree cheese was awesome. Also, my friend did chicken this weekend and said it was awesome.

Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Join the NRA
Firearms Policy Coalition

Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dry aging steaks, then SV'd. The guy is kind of goofy, but his vids do provide good info.
Also he uses a torch to sear his steak which actually looks better than the results from my griddle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fImCbiE4JbM
Last night I sv'd a chicken breast, sliced up, and tossed with buffalo wing sauce for boneless "wings". :drool:

Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 19  Next