Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:47 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Light truck/Auto batteries 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

After 11 years of service the OEM battery in the Tacoma is starting to sound sluggish. Posts are clean, I'm pretty sure it's just the battery being old. Was worse in the extreme cold weather....

In the $85-125 range, is a battery a battery? Or are some more gooder than others? AGM (Absorbed glass mat batteries good? or gimmick? Amazon has an Oddessy from AGM for $113 (one of their vendors is selling for $104 - ships from TX. )

Whaddya know?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are only 3 battery manufacturers. You want to get made by Johnson Controls, they are the best. They are carried under lots of labels. What size battery do you need? Consumer reports does reporting on them. I can get you screenshots of their ratings.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like snoz said, Johnson control batteries are good. I also had good luck with interstate green top batteries. I managed an automotive electrical shop for 5 years and saw every type and brand come and go.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:01 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Buy mine at Costco. Best price, best warranty. (they use Interstate).
The pair in my Silverado are 9 years old.

For my 5th wheel I bought blems at the Interstate store in Everett, half price.

I was working on a laser printer outside a Paccar boardroom back in the 90's.
Overheard some executives talking about marketing different levels of batteries at Al's Auto Supply....12 mo, 24 mo, 36 mo, etc.
Same fucking battery, just different warranty.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

snozzberries wrote:
There are only 3 battery manufacturers. You want to get made by Johnson Controls, they are the best. They are carried under lots of labels. What size battery do you need? Consumer reports does reporting on them. I can get you screenshots of their ratings.

24f
Are they the ones that make the Costco batteries?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
snozzberries wrote:

24f
Are they the ones that make the Costco batteries?

Yes they make Costco batteries. I bought one from Costco.

Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names.
Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models.
Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries.
Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts.

You can see that Johnson Controls makes all the good ones.

FYI if you have a library card at Seattle or King County, you too can access this information free of charge. You just login to the libraries website, and click the link for Consumer Reports, and it takes you directly to the full unlocked Consumer Reports website. I've posted a small limited snipit here for our discussion purposes, under Fair Use policies.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

wonder why the interstate batteries got worse rating than the Die Hard if they are both made by JC

I'm on the KCLS website now... still looking fro the consumer reports link

EDIT: Found the link.. Thanks for that tip, it will come in handy

FJB

Last edited by jukk0u on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Johnson Controls 100%

I too get Interstate from Costco.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:28 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

If you go to Costco, bring a wrench, some paper towels, and a Visa card.
Because they don't take American Express (reference to old commercial).

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:34 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
wonder why the interstate batteries got worse rating than the Die Hard if they are both made by JC

I only have the Seattle Library version link readily available: https://seattle.bibliocommons.com/item/ ... reportsorg

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:

Different products, same manufacturer. Also, people think that if they pay more, it must be better.

The Lincoln TownCar had many fewer complaints than the Grand Marquis and the Crown Vic despite essentially being the same car.. Same goes with Lexus getting fewer complaints than the equivalent Toyota.

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:45 pm

Check the fluid level in your battery --- you were probably fooled into thinking that it is truly a 'maintenance' free battery - especially if it is factory --- my 4runner came with a Panasonic battery with an 'eye' that said maintenance free ---- yeah, after 10 years it got kinda weak and died on me once - thats when I took the caps off to find the fluid level was below the plates. I didn't catch it in time - it was done. Top it off with distilled h2o and put a quality charger on it for the weekend --- if you're lucky, you could get a couple more years out of it. Toyota used to put some top notch batteries in their trucks --- much better quality than any costco battery.

ETA -- I learned along the way that the longer life 'maintenance free' batteries basically had more fluid capacity to account for the evap of the water leading to a longer 'un-maintained' life --- with maintenance, ALL batteries last longer --- works best to check them BEFORE they get weak.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most batteries are now maintenance free in that you can't pop the caps, they are totally sealed.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:

EDIT: Found the link.. Thanks for that tip, it will come in handy

Can you share the KCLS link? I'll add it to my favorites too.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:44 pm

snozzberries wrote:
Most batteries are now maintenance free in that you can't pop the caps, they are totally sealed.

It is/was my understanding that the only true 'maintenance free' and sealed battery is an AGM --- all flooded batteries are shipped dry and filled at point of purchase (or nearby). Most of the 'un-serviceable' looking batteries have 3 gang pop caps that only 'look' like they can't be opened.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next