Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Berretta 92 rear sight suggestions 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a crusty old Beretta 92F in my bugout bag. It shoots great and has been accurate in the past. I was working up a new load the other day and my groups were shit. When I bought it the previous owner had some truglo night sights installed. The glow is long gone. The rear sight is looser than Pam Anderson. I dont really need more night sights. I was thinking of just replacing the rear with an adjustable site. I do like to target shoot with it. The LPA looks nice, and I can get one for 50 bucks shipped, plus it does not require a sight pusher. If I go with a fixed sight I have to find a pusher. What are y'all using and why?

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:07 pm

I've always wanted to replace the factory sight on my 92 since it has the combat/covering/#3 sight picture... I looked at the adjustable sight, but never really found one that I really liked --- they all seemed to be 'fat' for the 92 slide. I consider the 92 a 'goto' gun that I can rely on and would have no problem carrying (ie mexicali carry) so the thought of a fat, sharp edged adjustable sight just doesn't sit well with me.... although, it does do away with the need for a sight pusher - wouldn't feel too bad about drifting the old out, but getting a fixed sight sighted makes me think one would be required whereas the adjustable would be locked in and adjusted.

FWIW - Novak has different height fixed sights to adjust elevation.
https://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9524
I believe mine has the 0.278" sights now with a POA/POI ~2" low @ 10yrds --- I think the 0.290" is what I need, but think the 0.305" would work well too --- I would rather the POA/POI be too hi rather than too low. The sight pusher is the part that has stopped me....

Link to the LPA sight? I may have to revisit my thought process here...

ETA - I am not against having an adjustable sight, its just that I did have the blade break off of the adjustable on my 1911 (I think 'others' were grabbing the sight instead of the slide to rack) --- so that makes me a little hesitant to put one on a goto gun.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Last edited by JohnMBrowning on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a ninety-two that I put the lpa on. It was nice. I'm pretty sure it was the beretta adjustable, http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-92-96-target-adjustable-rear-sight/e00169/

Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get on the Beretta e-mail list for discounts. I put a nice Beretta adjustable site on my 92A1 (Thanks Chester).

Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://m.ebay.com/itm/LPA-SPR98BE30-Be ... SwEmFaow66

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:48 pm

Thanks for the link....
Gotta admit --- that looks pretty damn wide, don't it?

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It does. I don’t carry it so it’s not a huge deal. Plus it hangs back and that seems like it would be annoying. I don’t see the need for an adjustable sight on a carry gun. I saw the Novak stuff and would definitely go that route. The difference sizes is pretty cool. Problem is knowing what one to get. Trial and error would get expensive.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:21 pm

You can measure the height of your current sight with a depth caliper - bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight - to see where your starting point is... go up or down from there. I did the calcs and figured that 0.015" difference in sight height is ~1" difference @ 10 yrds. (corrected after redoing calc)

And yeah, the hanging back part bugged me too... Some guns just look wrong with adjustable sights, and unfortunately, the 92 is one of them. They need a flat top slide or the slide needs to be milled to make it look right.

I was hoping someone would chime in with a pusher for loan or rent....

It is not clear from Novak's website whether their sights are drifted into place or if there is a set screw to lock it.... if its a set screw, things get a little easier.

Edit to add --- I just remeasured my sight and it is 0.270" tall so the 0.278 wouldn't do much so I think the 0.305" is the right choice.
And after looking at the slide again..... yeah, rounded top.... that big wide/long sight would look awful on the inox --- not gonna happen.

Edit --- corrected for my poor memory

Last edited by JohnMBrowning on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I honestly like the factory sights on my 92fs. i'm pretty accurate with them and when I carry it, they aren't an issue for me with OWB holster.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:34 am

I agree with the factory sights..... except for the fact that mine is setup as a combat/covering sight picture that I don't particularly care for. The 'easy' fix is an adjustable... but as I stated, would look pretty stupid to me (ie ghetto). I'd be willing to risk $40 once or twice to get it set up the way I want, but the need for a $130 sight pusher that would only be used once (once it gets set up) seems silly and I'm hesitant to try to swap without for fear of damaging the finish.

I apologize for some of my previous poor math.... I was going from memory. I sat down and figured out what the different sight heights would do for POA/POI....
Starting with the lowest 0.270" sight they have (which I measured on my gun) and a 6" sight radius ---

Sight_______POI shift@10 yds
0.270------------0.0
0.278-----------+0.5"
0.290-----------+1.2"
0.305-----------+2.1"
0.320-----------+3"

So, being that my gun shoots ~2-2.5" low with a dead-on/precision/#2 sight picture, it looks like a 0.305 sight is what I need, although it may still be a bit low.... the 0.320 would be a safer bet since I don't mind POI being slightly high. The 2" low bugs the hell out of me since you can't see the POI thru the front sight -- makes precise shooting very difficult. I'll have to do some rested shooting before I pull the trigger on choosing.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]