Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Recommendations for first suppressor 

Any recommendations for a first suppressor? I am not set on just having one can to fit all my platforms (although it WOULD be nice) - I've heard that they tend to be "jack of all trades, master of none" but I don't have any experience on the subject.

Looking to suppress the following:
HK Mark 23 - 45 ACP
QC10 AR-45 - 45 ACP
AR-15 - 5.56 & 300 BLK
Possibly a 9mm compact / full size / MP5 down the road.

The conundrum I am currently experiencing:
SilencerCo Hybrid 46 (+ all necessary hardware)
-or-
SilencerCo Saker ASR (I have ASR compatible muzzle devices on my AR-15 uppers already)
Rugged Obsidian 45

Overall cost is about the same for either set of options.

Thoughts, comments, criticisms or advice?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the three you listed above and IMHO if you are going to have multiple silencers I'd go with the Rugged Obsidian 46 for Pistols and Hybrid 45 for rifles.
  • The Hybrid isn't the greatest for pistols but as a rifle silencer you could run it on just about every caliber including 458 Socom and 338LM
  • The Hybrid is lighter than the Saker and Dead Air Sandman S. Rugged Surge 762 would be a good option but you cannot mount it under a handguard and are limited to 30cal and below. If you are not planning to shoot anything above 30cal go with either the Sandman S or L.
  • Hybrid shares piston compatibility with both the SiCo Octane and the Rugged Obsidian.
  • Direct thread adapter from the Hybrid will also work on the Rugged Obsidian and vice-versa.
  • For the Rifle QD go with a DeadAir KeyMount muzzle brake and KeyMo adapter on the Hybrid. ASR and MAAD mounts from SiCo suck

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:03 pm

Interesting... hadn't considered using the Hybrid for just rifles. I'll look into that.

Also, the ASR mounts are no good? Come loose and / or difficult to use I would assume?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the Hybrid with ASR. I have run it on 458 SOCOM, 300 Blackout, and 223. Worked very well on all of them. I haven't run it on a pistol yet though. I've heard it's a bit heavy and bulky for pistol.

Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:07 pm

beckdw wrote:
I have the Hybrid with ASR. I have run it on 458 SOCOM, 300 Blackout, and 223. Worked very well on all of them. I haven't run it on a pistol yet though. I've heard it's a bit heavy and bulky for pistol.

The Hybrid would almost for sure be carbine / rifle only for me. Would be like hanging a Glock 43 off the end of my Mark 23 haha.

Any complaints with the ASR system?

Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

LoveThySpatula wrote:
beckdw wrote:

The Hybrid would almost for sure be carbine / rifle only for me. Would be like hanging a Glock 43 off the end of my Mark 23 haha.

Any complaints with the ASR system?

I have appreciated the ASR. My barrel is 7.5" and handguard is 7", so can be a pain to get to the locking collar. Just make sure you have a full inch of barrel or more outside the handguard so you can get a good grip on the collar. It can be a bit tough to unlock sometimes.

Tue May 15, 2018 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]