Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Black Rifle match in Renton 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did my frst Black Rifle at Renton this past Saturday and just wanted to give my impressions.

Sean does a great service with the matches. He set up a challenging but not overly difficult single course of fire. Made you think about your movement, your cover and the rounds in your gun. The match was run safely and it moved along quick enough that the 12-15 participants got to shoot it twice.

Sean gave great advice to us all w/o calling out any one person. We had to use real world tactics and accuracy mattered more than time.

I unfortunately DQ'd during my second go thru. We had a total of 12 targets, 2 rounds each to either the head or body. 2 10 round mags for the rifle, one mag for the handgun. 10 targets with the rifle, the last 2 with our sidearm. One of the rules is the rifle MUST be empty before you transition to the handgun. I had multiple malfunctions (all due to ammo) and lost my count somewhere, so when I was done shooting, I still had a round in the chamber of my rifle. All on me and I accepted the DQ with dignity. LOL

Things that I learned...
Cheap ammo is cheap for a reason, I'm looking at you steel cased Tula.
I found the sling attachment points that work best for me and my rifle.
A red dot would be better for this style of match, but I just need to practice my hold overs more with my 1-4 Bushnell scope.
Muzzle breaks do more to piss people off and give me bright flashes through my scope than they do to mitigate recoil. (A2 birdcage was reinstalled as soon as I got home)
I REALLY like shooting my rifle in this style of match and I can't wait for the May match which I believe is on 5/26.

Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a lot of fun. Do they have practice sessions? please share a bit more on how to join the fun

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good on you, thanks for the review. Those who don't run their brains and equipment hard like this are doomed to learn lessons similar to yours, only much more expensively.
However, next time, vids or it didn't happen.

Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:08 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you share what brake you were using?

And to clarify, do you lump "muzzle rise" in with your usage of "recoil"?

Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jorgeu wrote:
Thanks for sharing. It sounds like a lot of fun. Do they have practice sessions? please share a bit more on how to join the fun

No practice sessions that I know of. Just show up on match day to join the fun. I think you'd need at least a basic carbine class under your belt to get the full benefit of this match, or at least some experience handling an AR while shooting and moving.

quantsuff wrote:
Good on you, thanks for the review. Those who don't run their brains and equipment hard like this are doomed to learn lessons similar to yours, only much more expensively.
However, next time, vids or it didn't happen.

I had my GoPro with me, but I wanted to concentrate more on what I was doing rather then capturing what I was doing.

UpDog wrote:
Can you share what brake you were using?

And to clarify, do you lump "muzzle rise" in with your usage of "recoil"?

I had a Rainier Arms Mini Comp that I got when I purchased a Wilson Combat barrel from somebody on here. It works well, but I did see quite a flash in my sight picture... couldn't imagine what that would look like in low light. And yes, I was counting muzzle rise in with recoil.

Tue May 01, 2018 11:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have a pistol caliber carbine, you can also shoot IDPA and USPSA.

Tue May 01, 2018 5:56 pm

You will most likely receive some ribbing from the guys next time you come down, it's all in fun though. :bigsmile:

You didn't mention the lovely rain squall that was present most of the day. the bay wasn't too bad but around the table, that just sucked. It's always good to shoot in inclement weather like that so you get to understand how you and your gear work.
Good to have you out and glad you had fun.

Ric

Tue May 01, 2018 9:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

fairlanericky wrote:
You will most likely receive some ribbing from the guys next time you come down, it's all in fun though. :bigsmile:

You didn't mention the lovely rain squall that was present most of the day. the bay wasn't too bad but around the table, that just sucked. It's always good to shoot in inclement weather like that so you get to understand how you and your gear work.
Good to have you out and glad you had fun.

Ric

I will take my lumps with pride. Every mistake is a learning experience.

How did I fail to mention the squall?!? And the slick as snot mud that developed. I wanted to blame my -12 on the first go-round on the fact that all the heads were folding over before we covered them... but that doesn't explain the missed body shots, sooo....

Wed May 02, 2018 11:10 am

Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about diving into 3-gun, these meets seem fantastic for it!

Question regarding the red-dot, is there a specific reason why you don't think it's an ideal optic for these matches? Are the targets mostly over 100 yards for the AR stage?

Sat May 12, 2018 6:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For these matches, a bayonet is better than a red dot sight. Maybe 10-12 yards furthest target?

The Right to Buy Weapons Is the Right to Be Free

Sat May 12, 2018 8:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Snackattack wrote:
Thanks for the review. I've been thinking about diving into 3-gun, these meets seem fantastic for it!

Question regarding the red-dot, is there a specific reason why you don't think it's an ideal optic for these matches? Are the targets mostly over 100 yards for the AR stage?
I believe that you misread his post:
"A red dot would be better for this style of match, but I just need to practice my hold overs more with my 1-4 Bushnell scope."
Red dot or irons seem to work best at the ranges we shoot as Isildur correctly stated above. If you're zeroed at 100 yards you basically need to have your point of aim high by the distance your sights are above the bore of your rifle. Does that make sense? So, if you aim for the center of the head your bullet will impact, roughly, in the throat of the target. That will be scored as a miss.

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

Sat May 12, 2018 10:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jorgeu wrote:
For a lot of the shooters in Black Rifle it's "learn as you go". Check the website for what supplies and gear you'll need. Whatever sights you'll be using, have them zeroed so you have an idea where your bullets will be impacting. Know how to safely operate your firearms. Show up early, there will be an opportunity to ask questions. Pay attention to the safety briefing, if you have any questions then, ask them. When it's time for you to run the course don't worry about your speed. Go slow, be safe and learn as you go.
There was a first time doing this for all of us.

Sent from my SM-P607T using Tapatalk

Sat May 12, 2018 10:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally built my first AR a couple of months ago (though still toying with optics) and have been trying to get out to one these matches... something unavoidable always comes up though.

Thanks for the review and insight from a first timers perspective. I may be a little more determined now to miss that next ("Wait, did you say it was mandatory?") meeting at work.

Wed May 16, 2018 6:13 pm

When's the next one???

Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jimmythegeek wrote:
When's the next one???

The schedule shows Sept. 22nd 10-11:00AM :thumbsup2:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next