Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ammunition 'group' buys? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Recent discussions of buying ammo mail order, and getting bulk discounts, got me thinking...

What's the best way to facilitate getting together to buy bulk ammo and save some dough? We can get ammo cheaper if we buy it in huge quantities, plus we save on shipping. But it gets pretty spendy. As much as I like to 'buy it cheap and stack it deep', I'm going broke. Too many calibers....

I'd like to find others to go in on it with me.

For example. A buddy and I bought PMR30s. Great fun to shoot. I can buy Armscor .22 WMR for 14 cents per at 5000 round case, a great price. (and after 600 rounds not one FTF) But $715 is a big chunk of change even for 2 guys. 3 or 4 guys going together makes it more palatable...

Any takers?

Suggestions? Maybe we could have a 'stickie' where we can post to find 'ammo buddies' locally so we can band together on bulk ammo purchases?

Wed May 16, 2018 11:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Generally on here, people find a good deal and post it, and ask if anyone is interested Ina group buy.

Once you get takers, you can figure out logistics as far as getting paid & distribution.

Usually works out well.

Wed May 16, 2018 11:19 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Generally on here, people find a good deal and post it, and ask if anyone is interested Ina group buy.

Once you get takers, you can figure out logistics as far as getting paid & distribution.

Usually works out well.

Hmm. Ok. But great deals are to be had every day if you are willing to buy bulk. I buy lots of odd calibers. With the exception of ammo that is occasionally hard to come by, like the good Hirtenburger in .308, Yugo brass 7.62x39 on stripper clips, or the Swiss GP11 for example, that comes and goes... I'm just talking about readily available ammo like PPU in stupid calibers like 7.62x25 Tok, or 9x18 Mak. Stuff that is easy to get mail order, but uncommon or expensive on local store shelves, and not cheap or easy to reload. .22 WMR Maxi mag is $13/50 locally, and CCI sucks IMO and is over .25 per round..

It would be nice to connect with other folks that would like to participate on an on-going basis. Not just one and done...

So your recommendation is just to post to 'general discussion' that I'm looking to go in on a purchase? Or in 'group buys'? Or the in the ammo section? I don't remember seeing something like this on this forum...

Wed May 16, 2018 11:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This was sent accidently as a PM, sorry....but meant to post:

Not trying to inhibit you forming a regular group at all, great idea.

Even if it isn't a bargain, posting whatever deal you're looking at, like Hirtenburger in .308, and either a link to the site, or a breakdown (if we get 4 people it's this much, etc.), will help you gauge interest.

Plus, you're in Thurston, so maybe you might need someone to mule it north if some of the folks were up there, or maybe you could organize it, and someone more central could distribute, etc.,..

If you browse the Good Deals section, you might see older posts that demonstrate this a bit...

One group with idiosyncratic interests might be a little tougher to coordinate, at least initially, than a caliber-specific offering.

Just a thought.

Either way, love the idea.

Good luck!

Wed May 16, 2018 11:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWG Nailed it.

Where the hell is Thurston? Mexico?? Not happening. As the others say, find a deal, post it up. Mule might be a good idea. :bigsmile:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu May 17, 2018 2:44 am

Well if y'all take classes at firearms academy of Seattle it would be a problem.

I like this idea

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thu May 17, 2018 3:23 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

I would be very interested in a group buy if we can get prices down far enough. I teach women-only pistol classes and can go through a fair bit of ammunition.

Right now I'm getting the following ammo in qties of 1000:
.380 .24/ea
9mm .19/ea
.38 sp .24/ea
.45 .24/ea

If we can find something cheaper than that I'd be interested in going forward.

Thu May 17, 2018 7:23 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We would really make ourselves look smart if we got together a big group buy and 1 mule to go down and pick up the ammo cache that our fellow outstanding member "badclam" has posted! He's got crazy good prices already.

https://www.waguns.org//viewtopic.php?f=11&t=90895

Thu May 17, 2018 10:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Margins on ammo are fairly slim as it is...Unless you're buying it by the pallet, I wouldn't expect a major difference in price..

Thomas Paine wrote:
"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."

Thu May 17, 2018 9:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TechnoWeenie wrote:
Margins on ammo are fairly slim as it is...Unless you're buying it by the pallet, I wouldn't expect a major difference in price..

.22 WRM. 25 cents a round locally or 14 cents a round at 5000 round case. That's a 'major difference in price' to me... And that's just one example.

Thu May 17, 2018 9:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gscott wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

.22 WRM. 25 cents a round locally or 14 cents a round at 5000 round case. That's a 'major difference in price' to me... And that's just one example.

Yeah, ignore that. There are plenty of deals to be had.

Even small savings....every little bit helps.

Watch the pennies, and the dollars will follow.

It's what responsible folks do :thumbsup2:

Thu May 17, 2018 9:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rutilate wrote:
I would be very interested in a group buy if we can get prices down far enough. I teach women-only pistol classes and can go through a fair bit of ammunition.

Right now I'm getting the following ammo in qties of 1000:
.380 .24/ea
9mm .19/ea
.38 sp .24/ea
.45 .24/ea
If we can find something cheaper than that I'd be interested in going forward.

Those are decent prices, assuming new and brass casing. Might save a few pennies per if you shop ammoseek.com Once fired brass reloads you can save more. Jacketed, plated, coated or lead bullets? Steel casing is less still.

for example: new .380 At LAX for $300/1500 rounds including shipping. in Ammo can. .20 per. https://www.laxammo.com/lax-ammunition- ... rds-detail

Thu May 17, 2018 10:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
NWG Nailed it.

Where the hell is Thurston? Mexico?? Not happening. As the others say, find a deal, post it up. Mule might be a good idea. :bigsmile:

No. Thurston is not in Mexico. It's a county. The county where we have our state capital. Like Olympia. south sound.

Thu May 17, 2018 10:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
This was sent accidently as a PM, sorry....but meant to post:

Not trying to inhibit you forming a regular group at all, great idea.

Even if it isn't a bargain, posting whatever deal you're looking at, like Hirtenburger in .308, and either a link to the site, or a breakdown (if we get 4 people it's this much, etc.), will help you gauge interest.

Plus, you're in Thurston, so maybe you might need someone to mule it north if some of the folks were up there, or maybe you could organize it, and someone more central could distribute, etc.,..

If you browse the Good Deals section, you might see older posts that demonstrate this a bit...

One group with idiosyncratic interests might be a little tougher to coordinate, at least initially, than a caliber-specific offering.

Just a thought.

Either way, love the idea.

Good luck!

I didn't mean to try to find a group to buy all the goofy calibers I'm shooting. But maybe a small group that is interested in one caliber.

I'm still confused which forum I should post to. Good Deals? BST Ammo? General Discussion? I'm not sure where it fits...

Thanks

Thu May 17, 2018 10:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gscott wrote:
Pablo wrote:
NWG Nailed it.

No. Thurston is not in Mexico. It's a county. The county where we have our state capital. Like Olympia. south sound.

It's a tongue-in-cheek jab....

Pablo lives in Duvall, and we Southenders tease him & others North of Lynnwood that they live in 'Canada'....

In return, they tease back that anyone south of, well, anywhere, lives in 'Mexico'....

It's all good-natured ribbing, hence the smiley he used :bigsmile:

He's also suggesting a mule, meaning, to get the most takers, someone may have to drive the ammo up to Pierce County, or so, to aid distribution, if the ammo is sent to Thuston to begin with.

While sounding silly, the bottom line is that travel can negate savings if the distance is far enough.

Thu May 17, 2018 10:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next