Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I screwed up the parenting thing... 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My oldest is set to turn 17 in June. He has his first girlfriend, a brilliant, pretty, multilingual, musically inclined tiny little slip of a girl. They've been dating for ~2 months.

Problem? Sam is acting like he's 16 going on 35. Seriously.

One month "anniversary"? He bought her a beautiful 14k gold estate bracelet and kept his letterman's jacket. Movie dates and furtive making out in a dark cinema? Not a thing--he's taking her to see Les Miserables at the Fifth Avenue Theatre next week, and as far as I can tell, their dates invariably involve museums or cultural events--plays and the like. Oh, and he invited her grandparents to accompany R. and himself to see Les Miserables. Her freaking grandparents. What normal teenage boy actually actively wants his girlfriend's family riding shotgun on a date?

They're going to go see Verdi's Aida at the Seattle Opera Saturday. icon_eek

Today he told me that he wants her parents to meet me, meaning that next Wednesday I'm going to be hosting what cannot turn out to be anything but a very awkward dinner. Is this a thing? Asking your mum to host your girlfriend and her parents for dinner?

I almost feel like shaking him and telling him to sneak out of the house once in a damn while. SMH, I screwed up somewhere along the line.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Thu May 17, 2018 11:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, i assure you the young ladies Parents do appreciate that young Man. :thumbsup2:
Did you screw up? No, but i sure hope he doesn't end up being the "Nice guy" the Girls put into the "Friend" Zone. Oh, and a 1 month Gold Anniversary Bracelet at 16? Jen, reign the Boy in, he's going overboard.
He needs to hang around with Root more, have him put a little "Bad boy" edge into him. He will benefit from being a Gentleman with a slight bad boy streak to him in the long run.
C'mon, you know what i'm Talking about here Jen, you live that from the other side. :wink05:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Thu May 17, 2018 11:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have no fear, maybe you won't pass 'inspection' :ROFLMAO:

If she brilliant, that's cool. Much better than the alternative.

Better to be taken to the 5th Avenue, than a heroin den....

She's probably made it clear she's into culture, and he's trying to be what he thinks she wants him to be.

Firs love will do that to ya....

Or, he looks at you & Root & says, "oh hell, I can do better than that!"

Actually, sounds like you did a great job.

He's assessing the situation and adjusting to fulfill his wants & needs.

Bravo!

Thu May 17, 2018 11:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent. :bow:

My youngest just turned 20. The young man sounds very similar to her boyfriend of 2 years, Coast Guard Academy, fine man, he is.

From the female parent's side, such (young) men are much appreciated!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri May 18, 2018 3:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

He could be smoking meth, so there's that...

Fri May 18, 2018 4:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe he's just playing the long game

Fri May 18, 2018 4:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You ready for grandkids? :prettyeyes:

Fri May 18, 2018 5:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

usrifle wrote:
...a 1 month Gold Anniversary Bracelet at 16? Jen, reign the Boy in, he's going overboard

That is definitely my fault--he asked me what sort of gift a girl would like, right around the time that he went to my jeweller's and purchased the bracelet. I was distracted and very offhandedly said something about how he couldn't go wrong with jewellery.

He works two jobs (Starbuck's and WSLCB), does track and field (cross-country, shotput, discus, and javelin), is on track to be one of his school's salutatorians next year, and is the only kid in school to be in both the orchestra (bass) and the jazz band/choir (also bass). R. is his complete opposite, personality wise--Sam is very serious in nature, she's always laughing about something--and I think it makes him happy to make her happy?

He's always liked museums and similar things, so that isn't something he's doing to please R., but I do think that being raised by a strong female authority figure (me) has kind of set him off kilter when it comes to the fairer sex.

True story: When he broke the news to me about R., and showed me her picture, he said Mum, I know she's short, but she did better than me on the SAT. He was terribly afraid, I think, that I was going to judge her based on her height. Unless something changes, she's on track to be one of Sammamish's valedictorians next year.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Fri May 18, 2018 5:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't worry, once she rips his heart out, takes a bite out of it, throws it on the ground and stomps on it, he'll wake up and become normal.
:wink05:

Fri May 18, 2018 5:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
Don't worry, once she rips his heart out, takes a bite out of it, throws it on the ground and stomps on it, he'll wake up and become normal.
:wink05:

Winning!

Sometimes it takes two times, but never a 3rd.

By the way, he does sound a bit different than my daughter's guy in the gift giving arena, kinda sorta - well true he doesn't know what to get her. But there was no bracelet until one year :bigsmile:

Fri May 18, 2018 5:23 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Once he sees his first set of non-mom boobs, all of your proper training will go out the door. Don't fret, his testosterone will win eventually.

Fri May 18, 2018 5:43 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Massivedesign wrote:
Once he sees his first set of non-mom boobs, all of your proper training will go out the door. Don't fret, his testosterone will win eventually.

This.

Fri May 18, 2018 5:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lolz, once you're picking him up from jail, paying for abortions or throwing away needles you'll be like why don't you just take girls to the theater and buy them jewelry? Never heard someone complain their kid was acting TOO good.

Fri May 18, 2018 6:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Parenting is like being a large tree branch. You need to be strong, with just the right amount of flexibility.

Or you'll snap and take out the house.

Fri May 18, 2018 6:26 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GG... be thankful he's not at this stage:

Fri May 18, 2018 6:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next