Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Ammunition 'group' buys? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gscott wrote:
NWGunner wrote:
This was sent accidently as a PM, sorry....but meant to post:

Not trying to inhibit you forming a regular group at all, great idea.

Even if it isn't a bargain, posting whatever deal you're looking at, like Hirtenburger in .308, and either a link to the site, or a breakdown (if we get 4 people it's this much, etc.), will help you gauge interest.

Plus, you're in Thurston, so maybe you might need someone to mule it north if some of the folks were up there, or maybe you could organize it, and someone more central could distribute, etc.,..

If you browse the Good Deals section, you might see older posts that demonstrate this a bit...

One group with idiosyncratic interests might be a little tougher to coordinate, at least initially, than a caliber-specific offering.

Just a thought.

Either way, love the idea.

Good luck!

I didn't mean to try to find a group to buy all the goofy calibers I'm shooting. But maybe a small group that is interested in one caliber.

I'm still confused which forum I should post to. Good Deals? BST Ammo? General Discussion? I'm not sure where it fits...

Thanks

Roger that...

You're doing fine.

I would pick a caliber, and maybe where you would get it & the possible deal, and list it in the 'Want To Buy, Sell, Trade' section under 'Ammo'

If the mods don't like the local, they'll move it for ya.

Then sit back and wait, someone might let you know about a better deal, and together you can figure out who will facilitate.

Then, to get volume for a good deal, you may want people north of you involved. So, if people in King & Pierce County chime in, see if one of the Pierce County folks will mule it to, say, Federal Way or Fife, and then a King County person can mule it northward. The same if Snohomish folks are interested.

Don't over think it...things tend to either line, or they don't.

Good luck!

Last edited by NWGunner on Thu May 17, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu May 17, 2018 10:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
gscott wrote:
Pablo wrote:
NWG Nailed it.

Where the hell is Thurston? Mexico?? Not happening. As the others say, find a deal, post it up. Mule might be a good idea. :bigsmile:

No. Thurston is not in Mexico. It's a county. The county where we have our state capital. Like Olympia. south sound.

It's a tongue-in-cheek jab....

Pablo lives in Duvall, and we Southenders tease him & others North of Lynnwood that they live in 'Canada'....

In return, they tease back that anyone south of, well, anywhere, lives in 'Mexico'....

It's all good-natured ribbing, hence the smiley he used :bigsmile:

He's also suggesting a mule, meaning, to get the most takers, someone may have to drive the ammo up to Pierce County, or so, to aid distribution, if the ammo is sent to Thuston to begin with.

While sounding silly, the bottom line is that travel can negate savings if the distance is far enough.

At least we're not wetbacks. you know, those people from Oregon that swam the river to get here..

Thu May 17, 2018 10:37 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gscott wrote:
Pablo wrote:
NWG Nailed it.

Where the hell is Thurston? Mexico?? Not happening. As the others say, find a deal, post it up. Mule might be a good idea. :bigsmile:

No. Thurston is not in Mexico. It's a county. The county where we have our state capital. Like Olympia. south sound.

To save a penny or two a round people from Bellevue-Redmond north to Lynden - anyone from the north end (Canada) - will not drive to Thurston county. Even on the weekend I-5 SUCKS. Yes we will do a drive to a destination in Mexico, for a few days stay minimum. All I am saying, it's a significant barrier and wanting to keep it realistic, not trying to pee on your efforts.

gscott wrote:

At least we're not wetbacks. you know, those people from Oregon that swam the river to get here..

:ROFLMAO: :rofl9: :bigsmile: :thumbsup2:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri May 18, 2018 3:44 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

To answer the question a lot where to post, sure, post in Group Buys once you find a deal to jump on.

NWGunner wrote:
While sounding silly, the bottom line is that travel can negate savings if the distance is far enough.

That’s not silly at all, it’s the harsh reality.

This thread started with the assumption that the buyer doesn’t want to spend $700 on ammo, only maybe ... $200, let’s say? So if you jump in on a group buy for ammo and you’re able to save, say, 10%, then that’s $20 you saved.

What’s $20 worth to you? Is it worth coordinating a time to meet someone even 20 minutes away? Let’s say you drive 30 miles round trip; per the IRS that costs you over $15 in gas and expenses, and I think that’s an accurate number. Plus add the hassle factor of finding the right amount of cash, and whatever.

There are certainly times when group buys are the right answer, but take a very hard look before you dive in.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri May 18, 2018 6:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
To answer the question a lot where to post, sure, post in Group Buys once you find a deal to jump on.

NWGunner wrote:

That’s not silly at all, it’s the harsh reality.

This thread started with the assumption that the buyer doesn’t want to spend $700 on ammo, only maybe ... $200, let’s say? So if you jump in on a group buy for ammo and you’re able to save, say, 10%, then that’s $20 you saved.

What’s $20 worth to you? Is it worth coordinating a time to meet someone even 20 minutes away? Let’s say you drive 30 miles round trip; per the IRS that costs you over $15 in gas and expenses, and I think that’s an accurate number. Plus add the hassle factor of finding the right amount of cash, and whatever.

There are certainly times when group buys are the right answer, but take a very hard look before you dive in.

This is sound advice, I hesitate to post stuff for little money because of the hassle & expense involved with meeting someone, I'd rather send it to them in the mail, its cheaper and I don't have to spend the time. And if I have to drive my truck, the fuel expense nearly quadruples.

Fri May 18, 2018 7:24 am
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

old11bravo wrote:
We would really make ourselves look smart if we got together a big group buy and 1 mule to go down and pick up the ammo cache that our fellow outstanding member "badclam" has posted! He's got crazy good prices already.

https://www.waguns.org//viewtopic.php?f=11&t=90895

I could easily store it at my house if you guys want to do that.

Fri May 18, 2018 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2