Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Fatal Cougar Attack near NB: Do you pack in the woods? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

oldkim wrote:
It’s all about odds.

One can argue the finer points.
Legal Carry for whatever reason or not. You are the one playing the odds. Either for or against you. You have to pack it in and carry the extra weight and burden.

For me that has always been an easy equation and answer.

it is not just the odds, it is also the stakes. when you are talking about risk of death, the odds don't have to be high to justify a preventative move. the odds that you'll die in a housefire, as a number, aren't high. however, smoke detectors and fire extinguishers are justified prophylactics.

Mon May 21, 2018 5:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

UpDog wrote:
Nope, still not carrying. Guns are extra weight and make you dress a certain way.

Incredibly rare to encounter wildlife (apart from the retarded ones) on a hike unless you are legit bush whacking or deep in the boonies where you don’t belong - that’s that crazy white people shit.

Also incredibly rare to get to the point of attack. You gotta be clueless AF to miss the danger signs, most animals are not looking for a fight.

:facepalm2:

Spoiler: show
"Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

"The right of self defence is the first law of nature: in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest limits possible. Wherever standing armies are kept up, and the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any colour or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction." - St. George Tucker

A careful definition of words would destroy half the agenda of the political left and scrutinizing evidence would destroy the other half. - Thomas Sowell

"To ban guns because criminals use them is to tell the innocent and law-abiding that their rights and liberties depend not on their own conduct, but on the conduct of the guilty and the lawless, and that the law will permit them to have only such rights and liberties as the lawless will allow...

For society does not control crime, ever, by forcing the law-abiding to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of criminals. Society controls crime by forcing the criminals to accommodate themselves to the expected behavior of the law-abiding." - Jeff Snyder

Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys. It realizes the ancient dream of the Jovian thunderbolt, and as such it is the embodiment of personal power. For this reason it exercises a curious influence over the minds of most men, and in its best examples it constitutes an object of affection unmatched by any other inanimate object.

Jeff Cooper
1997 The Art of the Rifle Page 1.

SUGGEST CASE BE SUBMITTED ON APPELLANT'S BRIEF. UNABLE TO OBTAIN ANY MONEY FROM CLIENTS TO BE PRESENT & ARGUE BRIEF.

The defense attorney's telegram to the clerk of the Supreme Court, March 29, 1939, in re United States. v. Miller.

You don't need to go to Law School to understand the constitutional implications of that.

“You can’t cut the throat of every cocksucker whose character it would improve.”
cityslicker wrote:
I don't want to be told that I can't remove the tree by some tree-hugging pole smoker from the eat-a-dick foundation/Olympia/King County.

Wed May 23, 2018 6:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think the more productive question is, what are the places where you desire to be unarmed?

Wed May 23, 2018 6:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PinSniper wrote:
I think the more productive question is, what are the places where you desire to be unarmed?

Well, maybe swimming?

Wed May 23, 2018 9:00 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

The last time I survived a cougar attack, there was refrigerated box wine involved. Cougars in the wild are not to be taken lightly. If you’re going to be in their habitat and you had better have protection.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed May 23, 2018 9:27 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
The last time I survived a cougar attack, there was refrigerated box wine involved. Cougars in the wild are not to be taken lightly. If you’re going to be in their habitat and you had better have protection.

Nice!

The Boy Scou... -er, ahem - Youth of Fluid Gender Identity Scouts recognize this danger

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/05/2 ... -for-event

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Wed May 23, 2018 10:03 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Former boss of mine and his buddy were rock climbing.
Got to the top, and later a black bear came up and was poking around at his buddies back pack.
Guy yelled at the bear and pulled the pack away with a strap still in the bears mouth.
Bear left.

I would have either shot the bear or let it have my lunch.
Not going to fight a bear over a backpack.
(They are both Seattle REI members, no guns)

Wed May 23, 2018 10:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I carry a gun for 2 legged critters, and bear spray for 4 legged critters.

Wed May 23, 2018 9:40 pm

UpDog wrote:

Incredibly rare to encounter wildlife (apart from the retarded ones) on a hike unless you are legit bush whacking or deep in the boonies where you don’t belong - that’s that crazy white people shit.

Also incredibly rare to get to the point of attack. You gotta be clueless AF to miss the danger signs, most animals are not looking for a fight.

This particular animal was starving, and past the point of giving a fuck. He wasn't looking for a fight, he was trying to survive. But hey, I'm just talking crazy white people shit....

Thu May 24, 2018 9:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3