Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Discussion or advice on how to create an Illegal NFA item will result in an immediate ban. No advice given within should replace user due diligence. Always consult a lawyer / professional.

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Rimfire Suppressors 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Turns out I have a bit of extra money arriving at the end of the month as compensation for a recent patent filing. Should be more than enough to buy my first ever suppressor. So thinking to drop by Capital Armory or the Silencer Shop storefront here locally to plunk my cash down on a nice rimfire suppressor.

Currently looking to suppress a Browning Buckmark 22LR pistol and a Smith M&P 15-22 rifle. In the future I can see adding potentially a 22/45 or PPQ 22 for pistol host and a 10/22 for rifle as well.

I've been ogling a couple different options:
- Dead Air Mask
- Q El Camino
- Thunderbeast 22 Take Down

Couple questions for the forum:
- Is it worth buying different rimfire cans for pistol vs rifle or are modern suppressors pretty adaptable to either type of host?
- Are certain rimfire suppressors known to have less effect on the guns inherent POI than others?
- What do you guys think of the modular suppressors having different length configurations (e.g. AAC Halcyon)?

Of course any recommendations on specific models greatly appreciated.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been looking at the Q erector. I do like the modular nature of it. It's super light. To be that light though, it's mostly made out of thin aluminum that restricts calibers and cleaning options. I don't have any of the other calibers though, just 22 lr.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:02 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Skip the Q and replace it with either an swr Spectre II or any of liberty suppressor's .22 line up.

Most .22 cans are pretty adaptable to either host you want. There's going to be a noticeable difference between a rifle and pistol with the rifle being quieter with the longer barrel.

Most of the current production .22 silencers have gotten better about POI shift. I feel that I have the most shift with "K" baffle silencers than with the newer cone or radial baffles. The ones on your list, shouldn't have much if any at all POI shift. Kinda depends on how you are shooting, long distance, target/range/having fun, pest control/small game hunting, doing dirt for the CIA.
Long distance, you really shouldn't be using a can.
Target/range/having fun, as long as it hits paper it shouldn't matter cause you're having a good time.
Pest control/sm game hunting, sight the optic in with the can attached and move the can around from host to host or leave the can attached to critterslayergun and get another can.
Doing dirt for CIA, can't really talk about that.

My opinion on modular cans is that it's a marketing hype. Silencers are to get you the most suppression out of your caliber so if you shorten it, you're just making it louder. I still think they are neat but personally, I won't get one.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Which q are you talking about replacing? The erector or the el camino?

Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rugged Oculus22 would be at the top of my list. Already have a SiCo Spectre II.

Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Duke EB wrote:
Which q are you talking about replacing? The erector or the el camino?

both

Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dj_fatstyles wrote:
Skip the Q and replace it with either an swr Spectre II or any of liberty suppressor's .22 line up.

Most .22 cans are pretty adaptable to either host you want. There's going to be a noticeable difference between a rifle and pistol with the rifle being quieter with the longer barrel.

Most of the current production .22 silencers have gotten better about POI shift. I feel that I have the most shift with "K" baffle silencers than with the newer cone or radial baffles. The ones on your list, shouldn't have much if any at all POI shift. Kinda depends on how you are shooting, long distance, target/range/having fun, pest control/small game hunting, doing dirt for the CIA.
Long distance, you really shouldn't be using a can.
Target/range/having fun, as long as it hits paper it shouldn't matter cause you're having a good time.
Pest control/sm game hunting, sight the optic in with the can attached and move the can around from host to host or leave the can attached to critterslayergun and get another can.
Doing dirt for CIA, can't really talk about that.

My opinion on modular cans is that it's a marketing hype. Silencers are to get you the most suppression out of your caliber so if you shorten it, you're just making it louder. I still think they are neat but personally, I won't get one.

Thanks DJ good points. Thinking about it I would be using the suppressor mainly for target/range/having fun. Both the Buckmark and the 15-22 are mainly fun range toys. The 15-22 has a Geissele S3G trigger and a red dot and puts a grin on the face of everyone who shoots it at the range :bigsmile: So on further consideration having a consistent/repeatable POI can take a somewhat lower priority to overall suppression and minimal FRP. So far my thinking is to get a Titanium/Stainless can for durability and take-apart design for maintenance.

Not really doing any small game hunting. Eventually I'll pick up a 300 BO SBR and can for hog hunting here in Texas but that's a spendy proposition and will have to wait another year or two till my alimony obligations taper off.

Will do some research on the Liberty and Rugged product line-ups also. Thanks for the tips.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:38 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anytime bro.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A rimfire suppressor is next on my list. I haven't had much time to really investigate them though. A couple random thoughts:

I highly recommend Capitol Armory. I bought a 9mm can from them a few years ago. We were on the phone and I mentioned I got shorted the barrel shims on another suppressor from Silencer Shop. They threw a set in with my order for free. Totally above and beyond, customer support for another vendor's problem.

My 9mm can is modular. I've had it in K configuration exactly once. Maybe if I get a pistol caliber carbine I'd consider using it that way again. It only shortens it by around 2" and is noticeably louder. I should try it again now that I've got my loads figured out. It might not be that bad. For a rimfire suppressor I'll get one for my 22/45 and maybe another for a rife down the road.

Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]