Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:27 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Solar things have changed 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

About 5 years ago I bought a HF 45 watt system, it is now very outdated (still works great). You now have Monocrystalline, Polycrystalline, and amorphous. All have positive, and negatives. (pun intended). I'm about to convert my 5X8 trailer into a camper of sorts. For my needs I will probably go with the Renogy 100 watt kit unless somebody can point me to a better deal.
https://www.renogy.com/renogy-100-watt- ... w-voyager/
Along with a 1000 watt pure sine inverter.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like that set up, it should work well for your needs as long as you use a good battery.
I plan on a larger solar kit when we get around to building a off grid cabin.
For now I'm using this kit https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Monocrystalline-Solar-Charge-Controller/dp/B01GQOZC1A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1528952726&sr=8-5&keywords=mppt+kit with a couple of 6 volt 220 AH batteries wired in series and a cheap inverter to plug my travel trailer into at our camp site. I just put it up last weekend. I'm going down the mow grass at the lot tomorrow and I'll take some pictures.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:25 pm

No experience with them but we have been looking too and the Renogy stuff gets good reviews. Pretty popular option. So be curious to hear how it works for you if you do get them!

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:47 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

velillen wrote:
No experience with them but we have been looking too and the Renogy stuff gets good reviews. Pretty popular option. So be curious to hear how it works for you if you do get them!

Right now I'm busy getting settled in my new place, but I plan on going with that kit and 2 6v GC batteries. I'll post a complete thread on the build.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For my camping trip I bought two renogy 100 watt panels The renogy Wanderer and plugged it all into my camper. On the really overcast days it wasn't quite able to keep up with everything but when I had even a little bit of sun I was able to charge my batteries further than my 12 volt chest freezer was able to drag them down.
The chest refrigerator freezer that I have is not high-end one it's one of the budget edgestar 58 quart I think. So a little higher dollar one would probably be more efficient. But I'm quite happy with how it performed.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:25 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went with the Renogy kit, and the case for the panel is very nice. It's soft sided, but somewhat rigid. I went with TW's suggestion of two GC2 6V batteries $93 + $18 core charge at Sam's. Wholesale Marine makes a nice double battery box. Those batteries are BIG & HEAVY! I'm compiling an excel spreadsheet of parts, and costs. If interested send me a PM with email address. I'm probably going with a smaller inverter since the biggest thing I'm going to power won't require 1000 watts. Would like to get some more input on a good budget minded inverter about the 600 watt range about double what I need, but I like to err on the too much side.

Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]