Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:19 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Grand malfunction of the M1 Garand! Help please! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last training session we were doing the firing details at the Tahoma National Cemetery in Kent like we do every month. However we ran into a problem with one of the Garands and there is another I would like to have looked over by someone that knows what they’re doing with the M1 Garand rifle.

These rifles are on “loan” to us and we’ve had them for the past 10 years from the federal government. They are fitted with blank adapters and we are authorized to fire blanks only with these rifles.
So last firing detail we were conducting our three volleys and one of my guys had the entire front sight assembly and blank adapter fly off into the bushes. It was actually very dangerous. He threaded it back together until he thought it was secure but it blew off again on the very next three volley detail. That’s when I said enough, it was too dangerous to shoot any more.

Does anyone know someone in the Snohomish County area that could take a look at these and either tell me what the rifle/s need or help me get them back into a safe working condition so as to continue our mission each month at the TNC?

Here are a couple of crappy pictures of the malfunction but I can get better ones if you need.

Last edited by old11bravo on Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

there's a port between the barrel and the gas block. (# 6 in figure 1 )Did that become fouled/clogged from firing the blanks?
Did you find the lock screw? Is it stripped?

https://m1-garand-rifle.com/gas-pressure.php

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You want to bring that to the range this morning so we can put our heads together and try to figure it out?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
You want to bring that to the range this morning so we can put our heads together and try to figure it out?

Updated with pics. I couldnt upload them from work. I think the files were too big.

Shoot I forgot about MRC today. Dang I just got off my second double in a row. I'm smoked.

EDIT: These things are stored in the armory at work but I can access them anytime. I didn't bring them with me today though.

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:57 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

is it me, or is the gas lock (the part that threads onto the barrel) missing from the second rifle? Or broken into two pieces?

(Part 19 in Fig 3)

FJB

Last edited by jukk0u on Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ron,
I am no expert, but am relatively familiar with the m1.
When it came apart, did the blank firing adapter (the part covering the muzzle) come off with it?

The link Jim posted has a good pic of the gas cylinder, the gas cylinder lock, and the gas cylinder lock screw.
It appears as though the gas cylinder lock is either not used, or it is missing. (still in the bushes?)

In your pic, the Blank firing adapter appears to thread on to the barrel, where the gas cylinder lock would normally go,
thus eliminating the gas cylinder lock. This would leave the blank firing adapter as the part to hold the gas cylinder to the rifle.

I would be happy to take a look at it.

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:40 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

New pictures since I had a chance to inspect it first hand this time. It looks like the threads on the barrel where the blank adapter attaches may be stripped. I was hoping it would be the blank adapter that had the stripped threads but it doesn't look that way unfortunately.

Showed to Everettbill for a brief moment this morning. He informed me that the barrels are pretty spendy. I would pop for a new barrel if it were my rifle but I'm not donating that amount to the department.

Anyone have any ideas how I could re-attach the blank adapter reliably enough that it wouldn't send the front sight assembly cannon ball express down range every time I fire a blank? This rifle will never fire live rounds. It is a designated blank shooter for the remainder of it's serviceable life.

Blank adapter threads........

The threads on the barrel that the blank adapter threads onto..........

Taking the bastard apart.........

Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:47 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ron,
Those threads dont look good, but that bfa was on pretty tight this morning.
The other possible cause is if the gas port holes are not lined up properly, or blocked somehow.
I wish we would have had time this morning to take it apart.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the last pic, the gas cylinder looks like it is on too far, which could cause the hole in the barrel to not line up with the hole in the gas cylinder.

Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:48 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

everett bill wrote:
In the last pic, the gas cylinder looks like it is on too far, which could cause the hole in the barrel to not line up with the hole in the gas cylinder.

Good point! I think this will be my first move. Did some research and I guess it's not too uncommon for a misaligned gas cylinder to become a projectile.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]