Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:30 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Laws traveling through CA with a gun (HELP!) 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

CA is a dang other country... have to drive through. The gun laws are confusing.

From here:
https://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/california/

Carrying a handgun concealed within a vehicle is prohibited without a license. A handgun carried in a glove compartment or under the seat of a vehicle is considered to be concealed. A handgun placed in a locked in a container in the vehicle other than the utility or glove compartment or while in a locked container carried directly to or from a vehicle is deemed not to be “concealed.” A locked container means a fully enclosed secure container locked by a key lock or similar locking device.

OK so if I have a legal gun (let's say a 5 shot revolver) and it is unloaded in a gun safe... that is fine while traveling.

BUT if you carry that from car to hotel suddenly that is concealed?

Jeez, does anyone have experience with traveling through CA with a gun? It is very vexing. Only interested in having a gun in case SHTF and have to get home. BUT not worth it unless all can be legal in the anti-constitution state shithole of CA.

Thanks for any advice.
Craig

My blog http://radiantcreators.com/

Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:56 am
Profile WWW
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Locking box with a combo lock.
If asked, say you don't know the combination.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

just hold it sideways so they know you're legit and from California

Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:42 pm

I solve this dilemma by never stepping foot in Commiefornia.
Never.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eh. I can't tell you what is legal. I can tell you what I did based on my interpretation of the law when I traveled there earlier this decade.

I brought a single stack (SIG P220) and kept it unloaded in a locked metal box while traveling. I carried it in said box up to the hotel where I proceeded to load it and keep it available. We stayed in some sketchy areas to save $$$. Reverse the process coming back to the vehicle. I never left it at any hotel even if it had a combo safe.

Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
Eh. I can't tell you what is legal. I can tell you what I did based on my interpretation of the law when I traveled there earlier this decade.

I brought a single stack (SIG P220) and kept it unloaded in a locked metal box while traveling. I carried it in said box up to the hotel where I proceeded to load it and keep it available. We stayed in some sketchy areas to save $$$. Reverse the process coming back to the vehicle. I never left it at any hotel even if it had a combo safe.

Sounds about all one can do and stay "some kind of legal". Thanks!
I am thinking revolver to avoid any magazine capacity issues.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Motivated wrote:
I solve this dilemma by never stepping foot in Commiefornia.
Never.

Totally with you... but to keep the beautiful woman in my life, we have to take a short trip there. She is worth it : )

Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:52 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"or while in a locked container carried directly to or from a vehicle is deemed not to be “concealed.”

I think you're alright

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

drive around

Yaki's - last journey

Promote a Growth Mindset. Don't let a fixed mindset not allow change for the better.

pow·er trip - noun - a self-aggrandizing quest for ever-increasing control over others.

Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is legal in all 48 states to transport a firearm 'through' the state, even the most anti-gun state. Supposedly. FOPA. Have it locked in a box in your trunk. But that is going 'through' the state. Not visiting friends, or doing a bunch of touristy stuff. Stop for gas, a bite to eat, for the night, but you need to be traveling through not loitering.

But California doesn't seem as bad as all that. Not like in NJ, MA, NY, MD, or DC. You'll be alright.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:21 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

gscott wrote:
It is legal in all 48 states to transport a firearm 'through' the state, even the most anti-gun state. Supposedly. FOPA. Have it locked in a box in your trunk. But that is going 'through' the state. Not visiting friends, or doing a bunch of touristy stuff. Stop for gas, a bite to eat, for the night, but you need to be traveling through not loitering.

But California doesn't seem as bad as all that. Not like in NJ, MA, NY, MD, or DC. You'll be alright.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150101/guide-to-the-interstate-transportation

Thanks so much for the info!

This makes it pretty clear (or clear enough from an authority/CA.

"HANDGUNS
Pursuant to California Penal Code section 25610, a United States citizen over 18 years of age who is not prohibited from firearm possession, and who resides or is temporarily in California, may transport by motor vehicle any handgun provided it is unloaded and locked in the vehicle’s trunk or in a locked container. Furthermore, the handgun must be carried directly to or from any motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while being carried must be contained within a locked container.

Pursuant to California Penal Code section 16850, the term "locked container" means a secure container that is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock, combination lock, or similar locking device. This includes the trunk of a motor vehicle, but does not include the utility or glove compartment."

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So basically that means California has made you a defenseless person sans throwing a locked box at someone who pulls a weapon on you in a robbery.
Huh.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:52 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Avoid downtown Hollywood.
Sidewalks are a tent city.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sportsdad60 wrote:
So basically that means California has made you a defenseless person sans throwing a locked box at someone who pulls a weapon on you in a robbery.
Huh.

Wonder if there could be a market for "defensive handgun safes" ??? : )

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:13 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

We have family in California plus a lot of friends from my days teaching skiing. Basically stop on an empty road near the border. Gun gets unloaded, all bullets out of magazines. Unloaded gun in a lockbox in the trunk with ammunition stored in a separate container, also in the trunk though need not be locked. I put the unloaded magazines in same container as the ammo.

The courtesy which I extend to law enforcement in Texas of letting them know that I'm a handgun license holder and carrying on my person NEVER gets extended in California when it comes to guns in the trunk. I only respond to questions directly asked of me. Volunteer nothing!!! Respond truthfully if asked directly though (which shouldn't be a problem if you're in compliance with the law).

Another option if you're a member of US Law Shield or a similar organization is to call their hotline to ask advice from one of their attorneys.

Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next