Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:05 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Garden Hose Reel - recommendations 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tired of the crappy hose reels..............what is out there?

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like my Suncast hose reel thingy that is bolted to the house and has a little organizing station for different attachments. Resin and very sturdy. My hose reel at the WSP is a Rubbermaid (which I believe owns Suncast) thing, rather bulky and hard to maneouvre but functional. Step2 (also owned by Rubbermaid) used to make a nice mobile hose reel with all sorts of neat features but it's not on their site anymore.

I do really need to get a mobile hose reel for my back yard though--self-winding would be nice. Craftsman had one a while back but I don't know if it's still a thing.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:30 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a couple Suncast models. They aren't the worst.

I was wondering if something like this would be OK: https://smile.amazon.com/Palm-Springs-P ... =hose+reel

Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

tagged for interest, I need a good hose reel too, something that's not cheap junk.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:47 pm

Jesus.... I bought one 17 years ago when I first moved in --- cheap plastic one, still going. I thought for sure the hose connector would bust off, but after all these years its still going strong. Don't even bring it in during the winters anymore - sometimes I even remember to drain it. The thin that kills them is the sun baking - luckily mine sits in the shade.

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been in this house 13 years, we've killed 4.

Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A good hose reel is only part of the solution, you need a quality hose. Heavy duty does not always mean quality. Air hoses have 120 psi and are thinner than those insane industrial garden hoses. A heavy hose will tear up most hose reels, plus you can't fit more than 50 feet of them. A few years ago my wife wanted a nice hose and reel. I did a good bit of research and found a company that makes a lightweight commercial hose and teamed it with a nice metal rotating hose real from Home depot. The hose was not cheap, 100 bucks for 100 foot. The company is called Water Right. They use industrial grade polyurethane hose then put either stainless or chromed brass fittings in them. Not PVC and aluminum. It is just as flexible when its 35 degrees out and rarely kinks. Since it is light weight it does not tear shit up around the house. A 100 foot of the 7/16 is perfect for watering plants and supplies plenty of water to my pressure washer and works fine for washing cars. We have had it for 3 years now and it looks just as good now as the day we bought it. Zero issues and the wife loves it. They sell 1/2 and 5/8 ID also. Buy once cry once right?

Hose reel with swivel has been real nice.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Liberty-Gar ... /205440171

Water right hose Apparently made in Oregon, so that's nice.
https://www.waterrightinc.com/collectio ... hose-25-ft

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:36 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Top quality. Also top dollar.
https://www.eleyhosereels.com/

I had one of these at my old house in Lacey. Sadly it remained with my ex-wife. We'll buy another as budget allows for here in Texas where the bright yellow, death star overhead would quickly bake any plastic hose reel into oblivion.

Matt is right about getting a quality hose also.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:08 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

:bow: Awesome Matt and Dave. Just the kind of thing I'm looking for!

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:

Sure thing Pablo. I know the Eley hose reels are really expensive. I'd really only recommend them for someone really into gardening and who's using their hose reel all the time.

Personally I had the free-standing one here:
https://www.eleyhosereels.com/collections/garden-hose-reels/products/free-standing-garden-hose-reel

The quality is top notch and they'll hold up forever. The only thing I'd recommend is to teflon tape all the hose connections on the reel when it arrives so it doesn't develop any small leaks over time.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:31 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

GeekWithGuns wrote:
Pablo wrote:

Sure thing Pablo. I know the Eley hose reels are really expensive. I'd really only recommend them for someone really into gardening and who's using their hose reel all the time.

Personally I had the free-standing one here:
https://www.eleyhosereels.com/collections/garden-hose-reels/products/free-standing-garden-hose-reel

The quality is top notch and they'll hold up forever. The only thing I'd recommend is to teflon tape all the hose connections on the reel when it arrives so it doesn't develop any small leaks over time.

Wow, those are nice. Somehow have never seen one. That's going to change. Thank you for the link.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun."
~Tenzin Gyatso, aka His Holiness the Dalai Lama

"We who are strong have an obligation to bear with the failings of the weak, and not to please ourselves."
~ Romans 15:1

"Ils Ont Les Armes, On Les Emmerde, On A Le Champagne!"~Charlie Hebdo, November 2015

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:22 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

^^ Sure Jennifer, no problem :)

Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:24 am

I also kill those reels regularly. My plans are to make one. Haven't done it yet, but I've seen where people use a wheel, typically from a brand of sports car they have/like. You can mount it on a post or against the wall. I doubt you can break it.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Being me a wheel of your choice and some cash, I can make you something sturdy.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eley reels are the best available. I have one on my shop and one on the front of my house. They are spreading like wildfire, once one of my neighbors saw mine a few years ago. They have been popping up almost annually around the area. High initial investment, but o so worth it.

Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next