Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Really random bits of history. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not very glamorous, but I want one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M274_%C2% ... form_truck
The price for one of these in perfect/restored condition is cheaper than a lot of modern quads.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:23 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Battle of the Crater, what a Union cluster f***. 4k Union, and 1500 Confederate soldiers lost. If executed properly could have been a Union coupe that could have ended the war, but they totally blew (literally) it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Crater
Even Grant was appalled.
Grant considered the assault "the saddest affair I have witnessed in this war."

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:44 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Battle of the Crater, what a Union cluster f***. 4k Union, and 1500 Confederate soldiers lost. If executed properly could have been a Union coupe that could have ended the war, but they totally blew (literally) it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Crater
Even Grant was appalled.
Grant considered the assault "the saddest affair I have witnessed in this war."

Burnside. Idiot.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:49 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Great Los Angeles Air Raid of 1942. The air raid that wasn't.
The Great Los Angeles Air Raid, is the name given by contemporary sources to the rumored enemy attack and subsequent anti-aircraft artillery barrage which took place from late February 24 to early February 25, 1942, over Los Angeles, California.[2][3] The incident occurred less than three months after the United States entered World War II as a result of the Japanese Imperial Navy's attack on Pearl Harbor, and one day after the bombardment of Ellwood on February 23. Initially, the target of the aerial barrage was thought to be an attacking force from Japan, but speaking at a press conference shortly afterward, Secretary of the Navy Frank Knox called the incident a "false alarm." Newspapers of the time published a number of reports and speculations of a cover-up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Los_Angeles

Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since I've been waiting to start work I've been watching a lot of the Military History show. Today they are highlighting the USS Arizona in HI. All I can say is WOW/Damn. I was there in the early 80's, but really didn't appreciate what had occured at that time. Beside the devastating loss of life, they also pulled any salvageable guns off, and put them back in use for coastal defense. Just amazing. Survivors are having their ashes placed in the wreck when they pass by the park service.

Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Black Tom explosion on July 30, 1916, in Jersey City, New Jersey, was an act of sabotage by German agents to destroy American-made munitions that were to be supplied to the Allies in World War I.[1][2] This incident, which happened prior to American entry into World War I, is also notable for causing damage to the Statue of Liberty.[3]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Tom_explosion

Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:24 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pig War was a confrontation in 1859 between the United States and United Kingdom over the British–U.S. border in the San Juan Islands, between Vancouver Island and the mainland. The Pig War, so called because it was triggered by the shooting of a pig, is also called the Pig Episode, the Pig and Potato War, the San Juan Boundary Dispute or the Northwestern Boundary Dispute. With no shots exchanged and no human casualties, this dispute was a bloodless conflict.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War_(1859)

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:03 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
The Pig War was a confrontation in 1859 between the United States and United Kingdom over the British–U.S. border in the San Juan Islands, between Vancouver Island and the mainland. The Pig War, so called because it was triggered by the shooting of a pig, is also called the Pig Episode, the Pig and Potato War, the San Juan Boundary Dispute or the Northwestern Boundary Dispute. With no shots exchanged and no human casualties, this dispute was a bloodless conflict.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_War_(1859)

In Friday Harbor there used to be a little Pig War Museum. Was a neat little stop if you are someone that like Museums. I think it is long out of business now though. When I was last there as a teenager, there was a woman that ran it that had to be 85 yrs old and dressed in period attire and such. Too bad most people have never even heard of the Pig War, let alone know anything about it.

Nemo Omen
JM Marlin 39M
Tikka T3 Tactical(.308)
BAR(.308)

Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fordlândia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordl%C3%A2ndia
Fordlândia (Portuguese pronunciation: [fɔʁdʒiˈlɐ̃dʒjɐ], Ford-land) is a district and adjacent area of 14.268 km² in the city of Aveiro, in the Brazilian state of Pará. It is located on the east banks of the Tapajós river roughly 300 km south of the city of Santarém. It was established by American industrialist Henry Ford in the Amazon Rainforest in 1928 as a prefabricated industrial town intended to be inhabited by 10,000 people to secure a source of cultivated rubber for the automobile manufacturing operations of the Ford Motor Company in the United States. Ford had negotiated a deal with the Brazilian government granting him a concession of 10,000 km2 (3,900 sq mi) of land on the banks of the Rio Tapajós near the city of Santarém, Brazil, in exchange for a 9% share in the profits generated.[2] Ford's project failed, and the city was abandoned in 1934.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:16 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Second Happy Time
The Second Happy Time, also known among German submarine commanders as the American shooting season,[1] was the informal name for a phase in the Battle of the Atlantic during which Axis submarines attacked merchant shipping and Allied naval vessels along the east coast of North America. The first "Happy Time" was in 1940–41 in the North Atlantic and North Sea. Adolf Hitler and Benito Mussolini declared war on the United States on 11 December 1941 so their navies could begin the Second Happy Time.[2]
U-701 attacked merchant vessels off the East coast, and placed mines in Chesapeake Bay.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Happy_Time

Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:10 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Watching the Military History Channel. 2 MILLION German women raped by Red Army Soldiers. 1 in 10 died as a result, most from suicide. I understand if someone is pointing a gun at you during war time conditions to attack, but to rape? That is as low as it gets. I know a lot of American GI's got "some" from thankful free'd women, and even that is kind of iffy.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of that was terror tactics too.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
Watching the Military History Channel. 2 MILLION German women raped by Red Army Soldiers. 1 in 10 died as a result, most from suicide. I understand if someone is pointing a gun at you during war time conditions to attack, but to rape? That is as low as it gets. I know a lot of American GI's got "some" from thankful free'd women, and even that is kind of iffy.

Yeah that's nasty bit of history. POWs killed as well.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

6 killed in OR:
https://www.wired.com/2010/05/0505japan ... ls-oregon/

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:39 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I knew about that, but not this "One hit a power line and temporarily blacked out the nuclear-weapons plant at Hanford, Washington."

Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next