Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 My new lightweight build!! 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Acpguy wrote:
Yondering wrote:
Thank you MadPick, you understood what I was saying.

Acpguy wrote:
Anything that affects this time.....GAGA S TUBE LENGTH(because it changes where the port hole is located changing that overall length) is one thing that affects dwell time.

We are specifically talking about this Dracos barrel, which apparently adjusts gas tube length but not the gas port location, if I understand correctly. Your argument about changing the port location with tube length is an attempt at misdirection away from the point of the discussion. We all know that changing port position affects dwell time. My initial comment was that changing gas tube length without changing the gas port has no affect on dwell time.

Ok.....so this is the first time in any of your statements you have specified “changing gas tube length WITHOUT changing gas port location “ . All I’ve been tryin to drive home is that changing the length of your gas tube changes the location of the gas port this deff changing dwell time!

As for the DRACOS (awesome barrels by the way) I do not believe the adjustment screw actually changes the gas port location. But as stated it’s also my understanding that it’s not an adjustable gas block either. So..... idk yet. I was not the one saying it did or didn’t on those specific barrels. And as for the pigtail gas tubes other than my “lmao” comment , again , wasn’t my statement. I just kept saying that “gas tube length does in fact change dwell time simply because it requires the gas port be moved” that’s it. Yond kept screaming “gas tube length has nothing to do with it” . It clearly does.

You're still being obtuse and arguing semantics instead of seeing the point, and at no point was I screaming or offering insults, unlike yourself.

The pigtail gas tube was brought up as an obvious example of how changing gas tube length or volume doesn't do anything for dwell time. This isn't the first time I pointed that out. Again, gas tube length does not necessarily dictate port position, as we see from the Dracos barrel and the pigtail gas tubes. I think you know this, if you'd allow yourself to admit it.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:

You're still being obtuse and arguing semantics instead of seeing the point, and at no point was I screaming or offering insults, unlike yourself.

First off, I was a semantics major so , yes, I will continue to argue semantics whenever I can!!

I guess your calling me obtuse was deff not you insulting me though rite, cuz that’s just something I do.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Problem is, the semantics you're arguing are wrong, and also not the point of the discussion. Kind of worthless except just for something to argue about, right?

While we're at it, here's another example of how gas tube length has nothing to do with dwell time:

Consider a 20" barrel with rifle length gas, and a 22" barrel with rifle+2 gas. Both have the same port to muzzle distance and dwell time (ignoring minor velocity differences from barrel length) but different length gas tubes. Gas tube length does not determine or affect dwell time; it's a result of a factor that does affect dwell time, but not the cause. Understanding cause and effect is important.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
Problem is, the semantics you're arguing are wrong, and also not the point of the discussion. Kind of worthless except just for something to argue about, right?

While we're at it, here's another example of how gas tube length has nothing to do with dwell time:

Consider a 20" barrel with rifle length gas, and a 22" barrel with rifle+2 gas. Both have the same port to muzzle distance and dwell time (ignoring minor velocity differences from barrel length) but different length gas tubes. Gas tube length does not determine or affect dwell time; it's a result of a factor that does affect dwell time, but not the cause. Understanding cause and effect is important.

Ok bottom line. We’ve already established what dwell time is. We’ve also established you can’t see past your version or examples. Your current example of a 20” or a 22” barrel with the same gas port to muzzle length but different gas tube length does work. Not for a second have I not understood what your saying . But I’m not wrong either . I’ve given examples where the gas tube length does change the dwell time because it changes port location. While this concept doesn’t seem lost to you , you can’t seem to accept it as an example of what I’m saying. Dwell time is ,as we’ve established, gas port to muzzle distance. Changing the length of the gas tube on a barrel requires the gas port be moved thus changing dwell time. I completely understand the items at work here, I believe you have a clear understanding of dwell time. Just not semantics .

As for just needing to argue. No , my point of being very clear and arguing semantics is , if you and me were in a thread talking about the dwell time of one specific 18” barrel . And we get it all dialed down to where we want , rite to the end of the conversation someone chimes in with “what if you just switched to a carbine length gas tube ? “ . This would require us to move the gas port on said barrel and now our dwell time is diff. So no I’m not arguing just to argue. But as you’ve stated there are obtuse people out there who need a very specific set of verbs and nouns to understand certain topics. So in an effort to not be vague because I/we understand how this works . I get specific , yes I will play semantics.

So ok, your right , you can have it. Dell time is the distance from gas port to muzzle. Work for you?

Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're still trying to pretend we're talking about something other than your Dracos barrel? Your barrel system changes the gas tube length and DOES NOT change the port position. That's what we started talking about, and that's what we're still talking about. That's what you took offense to me commenting on. None of the rest of that fluff matters.

I think you know full well what I've been saying here but just want to argue, so I don't see any need to continue.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yondering wrote:
You're still trying to pretend we're talking about something other than your Dracos barrel? Your barrel system changes the gas tube length and DOES NOT change the port position. That's what we started talking about, and that's what we're still talking about. That's what you took offense to me commenting on. None of the rest of that fluff matters.

I think you know full well what I've been saying here but just want to argue, so I don't see any need to continue.

You are definitely free to your opinion , however other than to start a thread to show off a rifle I built that yes had a Draco’s barrel , I have made no declaration of function of those barrels other than to say in my opinion they are awesome . Comments on specific function were made by other people , And I have even stated I am not 100% sure exactly how they work yet still doing my research.

But ok , we can be done here, sorry

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:01 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yondering wrote:
I don't see any need to continue.

Acpguy wrote:
we can be done here

See? I knew you guys would agree in the end. :wagwoot:

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:25 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4