Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Site Upgrade - Photo Hosting 
Site Admin
Site Admin

For a while, one of the biggest downfalls to phpbb (the forum software we use) is the restriction on uploading photos and pushing users to use a 3rd party source (like imgur, etc). Steve even wrote a kick ass tutorial HERE showing step by step instructions on how to use a 3rd party. Steve will be modifying that post later with the changes as outlined below.

Earlier this year, when we switched to our own server, one of the hopes was to test self-hosting photos on the site, to see how it impacted the site. That time has come!

You can now upload much larger photos to the site when making or replying to a post!!!
This means you should be able to upload directly from your smartphone. The site will automatically re-size the pixels of the photo so it can display properly.

Please do not abuse this feature. If you are posting classifieds, great, but just random photos on your computer for the random photo threads etc, please continue to use a 3rd party hosting site.

The biggest issue with self-hosting is 2-fold;
1) Bandwidth - Hosting and displaying self hosted photos uses bandwidth. This can slow the site for other users or make the server host cranky from the additional loads.
2) Disk Space - Photos now-a-days are not small. Our phones take some HUGE photos (larger than we really need). We only have XXX size of hard drive on our server.

We still have some limitations on the size, so if you run into an issue with posting and get a size error, please let me know so I can see if we can accommodate the size (size does matter).

We are going to continue to monitor the impact on the site, now that we have let you all know.

Please don't use this thread to test, it works, go with it. Just know that next time you want to post a classified, you can do it a little easier now.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:51 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I... hope... Marine3%... never mind.

Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AR15L wrote:
I... hope... Marine3%... never mind.

DON'T YOU EVEN START!!

Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:33 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I gotta hand it to you Dan, and Steve. You guys have done a magnificent job of not just maintaining the "status quo" of WAGUNS, but for keeping the site relevant and forward thinking. This latest advent with the introduction of image hosting capability in addition to the fairly recent leap of faith into maintaining a dedicated server for WAGUNS is testament of your selfless endeavor to keep improving the site for the users.

Just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you both as well as all of the mods and fellow members that make WAGUNS the community that it is. I know that as the, "men behind the curtain" your efforts often go largely unnoticed and certainly under appreciated. So please accept a sincere and very well deserved THANKYOU from yours truly! Keep up the good work gentlemen. :bow: :wagwoot:

Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:49 pm
Site Moderator / In Memoriam
Site Moderator / In Memoriam

old11bravo wrote:
I gotta hand it to you Dan, and Steve. You guys have done a magnificent job of not just maintaining the "status quo" of WAGUNS, but for keeping the site relevant and forward thinking. This latest advent with the introduction of image hosting capability in addition to the fairly recent leap of faith into maintaining a dedicated server for WAGUNS is testament of your selfless endeavor to keep improving the site for the users.

Just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you both as well as all of the mods and fellow members that make WAGUNS the community that it is. I know that as the, "men behind the curtain" your efforts often go largely unnoticed and certainly under appreciated. So please accept a sincere and very well deserved THANKYOU from yours truly! Keep up the good work gentlemen. :bow: :wagwoot:

+1,000,000,000, Amen

cootduster

I'm not old.

I'm just no longer young !!!

Last edited by cootduster on Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks. Very awesome!!

Just as an aside, maybe help to others, I have been using: https://postimages.org/

Super easy and free!!

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:16 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

old11bravo wrote:

Thanks for the praise Ron, but don't forget that WaGuns wouldn't be here if it were not for members, like you and thousands others who use this site as a resource, a community, a home. I was recently reminded that WaGuns means a lot to some people, more than just a website. It's our duty as key holders to this fine establishment to make sure that the lights stay on, the cobwebs are dusted off and we get a new paint job every once in a while to keep it inviting.

Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:12 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you telling us to check out the size of your disk?

Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:45 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great job. One of my biggest site frustrations. Take picture. Put on computer. Resize. Resave. Upload. Repeat...

Looking forward to RESPONSIBLE uses and also some better ads than "PM me with your phone # for pics..." ...

Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:03 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

leadcounsel wrote:
”PM me with your phone # for pics..." ...

One of my biggest annoyances too. Hopefully this solves it.

Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:56 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You shouldn`t have to but you should probably tell some of our local pervs the new picture posting feature is not to be used for Dick pics. Awesome job!! also looking forward to more ads with pics

It was a Night Op in the library with an AK Pistol by TW...

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

lionhrt wrote:
You shouldn`t have to but you should probably tell some of our local pervs the new picture posting feature is not to be used for Dick pics. Awesome job!! also looking forward to more ads with pics

Hey lionhrt, the expanded storage and bandwidth is not for deek pics. :bigsmile:

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]