Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Car wrenching and Home gutting(improvement/work) subforums.? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How many members regularly post on Waguns? 50? Right now at mid-day on Saturday there's 53 registered users online, and 93 guests. In a state of 7 million people, that's anemic.

I think if WAguns is to survive and attract more members, more areas of discussion or subforums are good.

If they don't get much traffic, so what? Less clutter in the General forum, where stuff gets buried fast.

I'm in favor of sensible subforums - DIY would be great. We have resident experts in various fields. Some sensible stickies would probably save folks hassle.
I.e. A lot of people message me for basic legal suggestions and I'm happy to help or point them in the right direction, when I can. And it may draw wider audience traffic here. I know I've joined a few other forums for various reasons when I found them in search of solution to a problem.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Many many specific forums have cool subforums.........shit my oil forum has a separate gun, a bike and a cooking subforum.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
I see both sides of the coin...

I see PMB's points, easier to find, doesn't get lost, etc., ...

But I also see the other side....it's a Gun Forum. Granted, you have Grubs & Guts, but guns are used for hunting food, so there's a connection....

If you have 80 sub-forums, then, you are ChattyCathy.com, and the emphasis is no longer guns & gun rights.

Conversely, if you are a 'community', and people are sharing ideas and tips, making it easier to communicate seems logical, though you run the risk of non-gun folks having more input, and taking over.

None of that helps, I'm sure, just thinking out loud...

I remember going to a garage sale a long time ago Ravensdale area and the home owner said “honey grab the 357.” The gal asked “why?” His reply “ there’s a big rat” to her reply “no that’s to big I’ll get the 380” then he proceeded to tack cover behind his motorcycle waiting for a shot.
Long story short home repairs and guns could be related in some cases.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the idea of the added subforums.

Yes you could go to a cooking site, a home improvement site, a car site, etc, but then the audience is different to. I like to share things with like minded folks. Folks that share a similar lifestyle and intelligent political beliefs.

Also this forum is LOCAL. You are more likely to have a beer or go shooting with someone here than on a nationwide woodworking forum, etc.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plus who has not used there mosin bayonet as a screwdriver here at lest once? Or maybe it’s just me.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:16 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would vote to add the following.

Woodworking and iron work/smithing.
Automotive and offroad/atv.
Tools.
Nautical.
Outdoors trips/hiking/roadtrip.
Local/national history.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:17 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

leadcounsel wrote:
A lot of people message me for basic legal suggestions and I'm happy to help or point them in the right direction, when I can.

This could come in awful handy each January.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Too many sub-forums taking the focus away from guns? Along with y'all's new sub-forums, how about a toggle that says, instead of "View New Posts" add one that says "View New Gun Classifieds"

That way the gun "Purists" don't get bogged down viewing the chatty stuff.

The new toggle could be linked to all the hand gun classifieds and maybe the Genr'l Firearm discussion thread....

course, anyone who can't navigate to those threads without looking at the other stuff is the same kind of person who thinks rooting around the bottom of a potato chip bag is "working out".

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Sep 08, 2018 6:58 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I feel like I've written this post at least a half-dozen times in the past, but here goes anyhow. :bigsmile:

First, I don't have any problem at all with non-gun threads or even non-gun sections. I don't personally have a goal to keep the forum gun-oriented; guns are what bring us all together, but we also have other facets of our lives, and we enjoy and benefit from discussing them. So I have absolutely no objection from that standpoint.

Let me shift the convo for a second. I've been preaching "view unread posts" for a long time now, trying to get people converted so they don't just go read the forum section-by-section. Do you know how many people still view section-by-section? Do you? I dunno, but I still hear a lot of people say things like, "Oh, I had no idea that you had a cleanup at Greenwater, i wish I had known!". So WHY didn't they know about the cleanup? Because they never look at the "Other Events" section, and they read section-by-section. Therefore, they miss EVERYTHING in any section they don't browse.

Back when we had separate WTB sections, how many times did you see people post WTB ads in the WTS section? And then when we move their thread, they bitch: "Fuck, don't put it in the WTB section, nobody reads that!".

OK, now let's talk about DIY threads. So let's say some poor fucker rips open his shower valve thinking he's going to wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am replace the shower valve, and then realizes he's in over his head and he can't turn the water on in his house anymore, and he's basically fucked, legally speaking.

What's this poor schmuck to do? Let's look at a couple of options:

1) Make a thread in General Discussion, get a lot of good input from folks that know this stuff, and solve the problem; or
2) Make a thread in the DIY section, which gets half the traffic, and hope that he gets the right people to comment.

See my point?

A separate section is nice if you're searching for an existing thread, but as far as encouraging participation in threads it actually HURTS you.

My vision for the site is that that it will have fewer forums, not more, for exactly these reasons.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Personally, I start with View Active Topics......to see what's going on right now, then, when done...

I hit View Your Posts, to make sure someone hasn't been knd enough to respond to me, and I missed it...

Then, finally, View Unread posts, which usually doesn't list any checked because I'm consistent with the first two...

Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2