Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:34 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Who doesn't love the 90s? Beretta 92 that is. 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
root wrote:
leadcounsel wrote:
The 92FS was my first handgun. It's among the sexiest ever made. Very unique. It was a co-star in Die Hard and Lethal Weapon, two of my favorite action films. I lusted after that pistol.

Carried one in Iraq on several deployments. I've owned a few over the years, but have never really warmed up to them. Of all the modern handguns, I find they have the worst ergonomics and average factory capacity (yes aftermarket mags hold more). The grip is okay, but not as good as CZ or others. The safety is backwards and I don't care for slide mounted safeties. Overall, the gun never grew on me. It's probably about 10th on my list of "best handguns" behind Glock, CZ, Sig, HK, Bersa, 1911 and a few others. Heck even Taurus got their clone better with a frame mounted 1911 style safety AND decocker which makes the pistol fantastic.

Sounds like you need a Vertex and G conversion in your life.

Check out an M9A3 at the gun store next time you are there. (The G conversion will cost you about $50 shipped.)

Nah, not to hate on the 92FS, but guns ahead of it are:
Glock - lighter and better capacity, more streamlined, Browning rotating barrel design is superior
CZ - worlds better ergos, and offered in 1911 style safety version on the frame, as good or better capacity, slimmer, Browning rotating barrel design is superior
Sig - better frame mounted controls, equal ergos, Browning rotating barrel design is superior
HK - better frame mounted controls, Browning rotating barrel design is superior
Taurus - same basic gun, better frame mounted controls at 2/3rds the cost,
Bersa - better gun with ambi controls, Browning rotating barrel design is superior.
XD - like a Glock...
M&P - like a Glock...
1911 - venerable and battle tested, frame mounted safety

Way down lower is Beretta. Non rotating barrel, dis-favored slide mounted reverse decocker, prone to decock when clearing weapon malfunction, barrel exposed to elements/dust/mud/rain, huge for a 9mm.

The slide being open is not a hinderance. Its an enhancement.

Again, it was a problem but a G conversion gets rid of the slide safety.

Taurus, why do you think the 92PT is actually not trash? Back to the reliability of the design. It is a stupid simple design that just works. Hell of an improvement over the 1911 platform. This is why it is literally one of two not absolute complete trash Taurus firearms.

Browning Rotating barrel.... on a Glock? What? I know they are working on something with the 46, but... You keep saying rotating barrel lockup, I am assuming you are meaning tilting? They are two very different designs... I mean, if you are gonna throw shade on a gun at least be right about it man.

The non tilting barrel actually makes for a nice use when suppressed. No need for a booster.

DGM33 wrote:
How about some M9s? Close enough??

Damn right! (Though I fully recommend you switch away from the PhotoBucket.)

I really wish they made a vertex frame without rails.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:44 am
FFL / Dealer

It’s a pistol I want to like, but can’t because it’s not usable with my small hands. Trigger is too far forward and safety/decocker is in a poor location. They do shoot nice. We didn’t have any problems with ours in Iraq.

Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fat man in a flannel coat...

https://streamable.com/jbipo

Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:12 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think you got him. icon_eek

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:29 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

I see a handsome gentleman in flannel - is it supposed to be a video? Very wonky computer I have.

Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
I think you got him. icon_eek

Too much 92FS makes root channel his inner LAPD.

PMB wrote:
I see a handsome gentleman in flannel - is it supposed to be a video? Very wonky computer I have.

Try this one: https://imgur.com/x1xcVBt

Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Now I have to file another form 1 to complete this shiny metal ass.

Wed May 23, 2018 1:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:
The 92FS was my first handgun. It's among the sexiest ever made. Very unique. It was a co-star in Die Hard and Lethal Weapon, two of my favorite action films. I lusted after that pistol.

Carried one in Iraq on several deployments. I've owned a few over the years, but have never really warmed up to them. Of all the modern handguns, I find they have the worst ergonomics and average factory capacity (yes aftermarket mags hold more). The grip is okay, but not as good as CZ or others. The safety is backwards and I don't care for slide mounted safeties. Overall, the gun never grew on me. It's probably about 10th on my list of "best handguns" behind Glock, CZ, Sig, HK, Bersa, 1911 and a few others. Heck even Taurus got their clone better with a frame mounted 1911 style safety AND decocker which makes the pistol fantastic.

This was my military experience as well, though primarily as a range coach and intermural shooter. A very accurate handgun, but too big for what it does and everyone hates the slide mounted safety. DA/SA trigger lacks feel and is inferior to the SIG P2XX series and CZ-75.

It's quintessential Italian; looks wonderful (all those movie posters can't be wrong) but lacks the level of engineering of other designs. Yes, I'm aware it shares a lot of DNA with the very German P.38.

Fri May 25, 2018 4:26 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:

Fun fact, the Beretta used in both films is the same gun.
http://www.nramuseum.com/guns/the-galleries/hollywood-guns/cops,-robbers-and-a-galaxy-far-far-away/die-hard-(1988)-beretta-92fs.aspx

Sat May 26, 2018 11:20 am

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:38 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My Father & I picked up this little beauty and a Mossberg 500 for $500, both had less than a box of shells through them

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:01 am
Profile WWW

^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
Thats one hell of a deal!!!!

Let us know how the sight picture is set up on this after you shoot it .... I'm curious if its got a combat/covering sight picture like mine.

I've been wanting to swap my sights out to fix it, but I'm not keen on an adjustable.... they just look 'wrong' on these guns.
https://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9524

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:56 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

JohnMBrowning wrote:
^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^
Thats one hell of a deal!!!!

Let us know how the sight picture is set up on this after you shoot it .... I'm curious if its got a combat/covering sight picture like mine.

I've been wanting to swap my sights out to fix it, but I'm not keen on an adjustable.... they just look 'wrong' on these guns.
https://www.novaksights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=9524

yep, my Father didn't care for it, so we bought some factory adjustable sights

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:09 pm
Profile WWW

TINCANBANDIT wrote:

yep, my Father didn't care for it, so we bought some factory adjustable sights

Does that mean it is set up with the combat sight picture?

Post up a pic with the adjustable on it --- I'd be curious to see what it looks like and how durable they seem...

Of the ten voices I hear in my head, only three keep telling me NOT to shoot....
Do I go with the majority or common sense?

Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:27 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

this is what we bought

https://www.berettausa.com/beretta-92-9 ... ht/e00169/

blog post with pics

http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... retta.html

Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:00 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next