Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 City of Seattle Proposed Rule Making for Safe Gun Storage 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
PAPISJEEP wrote:
Old Growth wrote:
I think guns should be locked up unless your shooting it or packing it.

A gun is like a wiener. If your using it, that's fine, but otherwise put it away. Don't leave you wiener laying around for others to see.

disagree not the same at all, if i need my flute at the drop off a hat its ready for action i don't have to go dig it out of the safe

Thats great! Is it on your person, or laying around where others have access to it?

You sound like the Democrats.

The government has no right to dictate how we store our possessions. Anyone who thinks they do is supporting the Controllists.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:56 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
spaghetti monster wrote:
OhShoot! wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

A gun is like a wiener. If your using it, that's fine, but otherwise put it away. Don't leave you wiener laying around for others to see.

Well said. I get a rise out of a good penis analogy.

Great analogy. If I'm at home i can walk around with my dick out all I want. Don't like it? Well you're​ not invited over anyway.

Do you leave your wiener laying around while the kids are playing? What about when the neighbors kids are over? What about ?????

If Im sleeping, I have a well stocked piece and extra mags on my night stand. If im not sleeping, its ON MY PERSON.

Not laying on the counter, not sitting next to the couch, not over there,,,,,on and on,,,, on and on.

If Im not home the shit is all locked up.

There is no "gun in a corner" for little jimmy next door to find when he prowls the house looking for nudy mags and liquor bottles to steal before he graduates to chainsaws and cars to steal.

There is a nugget of logic there, but do you REALLY need a idiotic law to FORCE you to do these things? Come on man. Wow.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:04 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
Old Growth wrote:
spaghetti monster wrote:
OhShoot! wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

Great analogy. If I'm at home i can walk around with my dick out all I want. Don't like it? Well you're​ not invited over anyway.

Do you leave your wiener laying around while the kids are playing? What about when the neighbors kids are over? What about ?????

If Im sleeping, I have a well stocked piece and extra mags on my night stand. If im not sleeping, its ON MY PERSON.

Not laying on the counter, not sitting next to the couch, not over there,,,,,on and on,,,, on and on.

If Im not home the shit is all locked up.

There is no "gun in a corner" for little jimmy next door to find when he prowls the house looking for nudy mags and liquor bottles to steal before he graduates to chainsaws and cars to steal.

There is a nugget of logic there, but do you REALLY need a idiotic law to FORCE you to do these things? Come on man. Wow.

I am NO WAY in favor of a law dictating HOW you lock up your guns or anything leading to enforcement of storage inspection etc.

BUT I all for HUGE nasty penalties for people involved in accidental shooting by children etc. If little billy next door shoots someone with YOUR gun you left on the counter while passed out after work or in the shitter, then you go to JAIL for along time. Period.

Some of the local children involved shooting were facilitated by folks that know better. Seems like a couple were kids shot with cops guns. Of all people, a cops gun in a kids hand? Really? Cmon.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:
OhShoot! wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

Only you wood come up with such response!

The biggest issue here is some politician who knows nothing about guns or safes telling us where, when, how, and what to do with our weiners. Every home situation is different. I have no kids, or friends so if I want to leave my weiners just laying willy nilly about my apt when I'm home is my business. If both locks on my only door are locked, does that not make my apt a secure container? I do have a safe, but I also have a dolly so if anybody breaks in they are getting my guns anyway all wrapped up in one neat package (condom).

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:

I am NO WAY in favor of a law dictating HOW you lock up your guns or anything leading to enforcement of storage inspection etc.

OK. This was unclear to me. Thanks for clarifying.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:05 am

And then...lock up your booze in approved storage, lock up your meds in approved storage, lock up your car keys, lock down your computers , secure the kitchen knives and so on. One can chase down the path of protection for the kiddos until the cosmos quit spinning and someone will still do something stupid and get injured or die. This goes back to punishing the whole class for one dipshits mistake, not really acceptable to me. Government really can't successfully legislate responsibility or morality. Making law abiding people criminals with the stroke of a pen is a much larger crime itself.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The damn politicians are the ones that need to be locked up in storage.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

heymagic wrote:
And then...lock up your booze in approved storage, lock up your meds in approved storage, lock up your car keys, lock down your computers , secure the kitchen knives and so on. One can chase down the path of protection for the kiddos until the cosmos quit spinning and someone will still do something stupid and get injured or die. This goes back to punishing the whole class for one dipshits mistake, not really acceptable to me. Government really can't successfully legislate responsibility or morality. Making law abiding people criminals with the stroke of a pen is a much larger crime itself.

:plusone:

Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Old Growth wrote:

BUT I all for HUGE nasty penalties for people involved in accidental shooting by children etc. If little billy next door shoots someone with YOUR gun you left on the counter while passed out after work or in the shitter, then you go to JAIL for along time. Period.

Some of the local children involved shooting were facilitated by folks that know better. Seems like a couple were kids shot with cops guns. Of all people, a cops gun in a kids hand? Really? Cmon.

I think in this case, what you're really advocating is that we punish crime victims. The bottom line is that little Billy shouldn't have been inside my house period. For him to come in a violation of the law. For him to steal my property is a violation of the law. If intentionally shoots someone that is also a violation of the law. Now, as I was one of his victims, you choose to punish me? We're not talking about cops leaving a gun in the console when the car is full of kids, we're talking about you in your home, protected by what's left of your Fourth Amendment rights being a uninvolved crime vicitm.

As much as this is about guns, its also about consistency. Now that we've made an argument that a victim can be punished, it won't take long before the theory will be applied to other things - medicinal drugs, alcohol, cars. its not just criminal, but its also civil court. At what point do we start suing/jailing people when their dangerous cars are stolen? Or their dangerous house burns?

Be careful what you wish for.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:27 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

New storage laws are pointless.
A person can already be charged for improper firearm storage under RCW for being criminally negligent or reckless.

Gun storage laws are like motorcycle insurance.
Not required to have it unless you are found liable in a collision.
Then you will have your license suspended for 3 years unless you make the victim whole.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:01 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

new daddy wrote:
Old Growth wrote:

I think in this case, what you're really advocating is that we punish crime victims. The bottom line is that little Billy shouldn't have been inside my house period. For him to come in a violation of the law. For him to steal my property is a violation of the law. If intentionally shoots someone that is also a violation of the law. Now, as I was one of his victims, you choose to punish me? We're not talking about cops leaving a gun in the console when the car is full of kids, we're talking about you in your home, protected by what's left of your Fourth Amendment rights being a uninvolved crime vicitm.

As much as this is about guns, its also about consistency. Now that we've made an argument that a victim can be punished, it won't take long before the theory will be applied to other things - medicinal drugs, alcohol, cars. its not just criminal, but its also civil court. At what point do we start suing/jailing people when their dangerous cars are stolen? Or their dangerous house burns?

Be careful what you wish for.

Someone steals your car and uses it in a drive by and you get charged? Sorry should have locked it up better. All cars now have to be in an approved garage and keys need to be locked up in your gun safe while at home.

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:05 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

78Rainier wrote:
Here is a link to the requirements and contact info to submit contacts for the City of Seattle proposed rules for Safe Gun Storage.

http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2018/09/13/lockbox/
Text of the requirements:
A gun safe that is able to fully contain firearms and provide for their secure storage, and is certified to/listed as meeting Underwriters Laboratories Residential Security Container rating standards by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL); and/or
A gun safe that meets all of the following standards:
Shall be able to fully contain firearms and provide for their secure storage.
Shall have a locking system consisting of at minimum a mechanical or electronic combination lock. The mechanical or electronic combination lock utilized by the safe shall have at least 10,000 possible combinations consisting of a minimum three numbers, letters, or symbols. The lock shall be protected by a case hardened (Rc 60+) drill resistant steel plate, or drill resistant material of equivalent strength.
Boltwork shall consist of a minimum of three steel locking bolts of at least 1/2-inch thickness that intrude from the door of the safe into the body of the safe or from the body of the safe into the door of the safe, which are operated by a separate handle and secured by the lock.
A gun safe shall be capable of repeated use. The exterior walls shall be constructed of a minimum 12-gauge thick steel for a single walled safe, or the sum of the steel walls shall add up to at least 0.100 inches for safes with two walls. Doors shall be constructed of a minimum one layer of 7-gauge steel plate reinforced construction or at least two layers of a minimum 12-gauge steel compound construction.
Door hinges shall be protected to prevent the removal of the door. Protective features include, but are not limited to: hinges not exposed to the outside, interlocking door designs, dead bars, jeweler’s lugs and active or inactive locking bolts.

I'm reading the Seattle.gov page you linked, and it's different than the text you copied/pasted. What's up? Where did you get that text?

Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

to send your written comments in oppo: http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2018/09/13/lockbox/
by email: safestorage@seattle.gov

Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just IMed these requirements to NW Safe, they said these requirements eliminate quick access safes, and some of the more affordable safes.

Are these same requirements going to be used for I-1639?

Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

DSynger wrote:
I just IMed these requirements to NW Safe, they said these requirements eliminate quick access safes, and some of the more affordable safes.

Are these same requirements going to be used for I-1639?

No. Section 16 on page 27 of I-1639 would add the following new definition of "secure gun storage" to RCW 9.41.010:
Quote:
(24) "Secure gun storage" means:
(a) A locked box, gun safe, or other secure locked storage space that is designed to prevent unauthorized use or discharge of a firearm; and
(b) The act of keeping an unloaded firearm stored by such means.

And Section 5 on page 10 specifically states the following:
Quote:
(6) Nothing in this section mandates how or where a firearm must be stored.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2