Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Forum rules

Nothing contained in this section shall be construed as legal advice. All members and guests are advised to perform due diligence in regards to laws and legal actions.

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Hunting with AR pistol? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
gunblaster wrote:
dreadi wrote:
Deer hunting with a pistol means you can keep it loaded while you’re driving the roads through the lands that are legal to take deer in.
Provided that you have a valid CPL.

I disagree.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060

Code:
The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

When I attended hunter ed one of the enforcers of wildlife admin thing told us the top two felonies they work with are 1) trespassing 2) loaded gun/rifle on vehicle. I wouldn't risk it with a loaded AR pistol and having that discussion "it is a pistol"... "no, it is not"... you will win the case in court but you're in for a very expensive ride. How long it takes you to load the thing? 5 seconds? less? that's ok.

On the caliber question, yes, anything caliber 24 or larger is legal for big game. Now, for small game like rabbit, coyote, etc. you can use 5.56/223 no problem. But please don't use FMJ even though it is legal.

Would I use a short barrel thing for deer? nah. I want to make sure I hit the vital area and minimize agony as much as I can with high power ammo like .308 win. It is about hunter ethics. Not necessarily if legal or not.

Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:50 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jorgeu wrote:

Would I use a short barrel thing for deer? nah. I want to make sure I hit the vital area and minimize agony as much as I can with high power ammo like .308 win. It is about hunter ethics. Not necessarily if legal or not.

Why wouldn't you be able to hit the vital area of a deer just as well with a short barrel?

Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:05 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

jorgeu wrote:
dreadi wrote:
gunblaster wrote:
dreadi wrote:
Deer hunting with a pistol means you can keep it loaded while you’re driving the roads through the lands that are legal to take deer in.
Provided that you have a valid CPL.

I disagree.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060

Code:
The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

When I attended hunter ed one of the enforcers of wildlife admin thing told us the top two felonies they work with are 1) trespassing 2) loaded gun/rifle on vehicle. I wouldn't risk it with a loaded AR pistol and having that discussion "it is a pistol"... "no, it is not"... you will win the case in court but you're in for a very expensive ride. How long it takes you to load the thing? 5 seconds? less? that's ok.

On the caliber question, yes, anything caliber 24 or larger is legal for big game. Now, for small game like rabbit, coyote, etc. you can use 5.56/223 no problem. But please don't use FMJ even though it is legal.

Have you shot any deer?

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jorgeu wrote:

The pistol argument should end right quick with a showing of the ATF determination letter for the Shockwave brace which I keep in the grip with my trust docs and suppressor stamp.

I am using Nosler Accubond long range which expands as slow as 1300fps. A quick look at a ballistics table using velocity data from my gun with the load I am using says I will stay above 1300fps past 650yds. I could give a shit about "high power" ammo. I prefer to go with measurable results like velocity and expansion. That is ethical.

As far as my "short barrel thing" goes, barrel length only contributes to accuracy in so far as it contributes to sight radius (for iron sights) and velocity (keeping a round supersonic for longer).

Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2