Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:44 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Denied firearm purchase from LGS 
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

WaJim wrote:
Its either become any reason to trip up the purchaser...............
Or
Every establishment is covering their ass three ways from Sunday.

My bet is on the second reason.

It has nothing to do with the dealer....It is a new mandate on the NICS system.
If the dealer is running an E-Check, the dealer MUST check a box on the NICS site that states that the info matches EXACTLY...If you don't check the box, it will not let you continue with the E-Check.

As stated earlier, if the dealer calls in the NICS check, the first question they ask is if the info matches exactly.

The changed, without notice, about a month or so ago.

As I understand it, dealers may allow the customer to correct the first section of the 4473 prior to the NICS check. However, it is most likely up to the individual dealer.

And yes, it is a pain in the ass....

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nitro_Guns wrote:
WaJim wrote:
Or

If the dealer is running an E-Check, the dealer MUST check a box on the NICS site that states that the info matches EXACTLY...If you don't check the box, it will not let you continue with the E-Check.

As stated earlier, if the dealer calls in the NICS check, the first question they ask is if the info matches exactly.

As I understand it, dealers may allow the customer to correct the first section of the 4473 prior to the NICS check. However, it is most likely up to the individual dealer.

So the customer puts Nicolas Ignacious ConSatre on the form, and the customer's DL says Nicolas I. ConSatre.

I don't see the problem with saying the form and the DL are identical.

Unless, of course one has become so ethically and mentally lazy as to be one who would debate what the meaning of "IS" is...

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:53 pm

The federal form asks if the ID (to include supplemental documents) matches "exactly," what the person puts down. It also says that the name must be complete.

So yes, the federal government is saying that everyone in the country needs to have their ID or license updated, or to have a second form of ID that has everything.

Kind of like how they require you to have a Real ID Act compliant ID to fly or enter a military base.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by Unicorn on Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Selador wrote:
Nitro_Guns wrote:
WaJim wrote:
Or

So the customer puts Nicolas Ignacious ConSatre on the form, and the customer's DL says Nicolas I. ConSatre.

Unless, of course one has become so ethically and mentally lazy as to be one who would debate what the meaning of "IS" is...

I agree with you. I was not justifying it just trying to explain this stupid shit...

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
Chinese folks are welcomed at Black Hammer Arms.

what about koreans??? :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :angryfire: :angryfire: :crybaby: :crybaby: :AR15firing: :AR15firing:

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:20 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unicorn wrote:
The federal form asks if the ID (to include supplemental documents) matches "exactly," what the person puts down. It also says that the name must be complete.

So yes, the federal government is saying that everyone in the country needs to have their ID or license updated, or to have a second form of ID that has everything.

Kind of like how they require you to have a Real ID Act compliant ID to fly or enter a military base.

So that eventually we can be stopped on the street for no reason whatever, and be asked for our papers?

Seems more like nazi germany every month. Slowly. Step by jack-booted step.

Nitro_Guns wrote:
Selador wrote:

I agree with you. I was not justifying it just trying to explain this stupid shit...

I thought so. :bigsmile: I just didn't write enough to make that clear.

I never know whether to write a novella so as many people as possible understand me... Or just write what I think and take my chances. LOL

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:31 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gets even funnier when you're like me and have three middle names, only two of which fits on your DL and the third on your birth certificate is actually spelled wrong (will explain that one if anyone is curious). I've had the guy at the gun store lean over and go "Wait do you only have two middle names?" but the FBI doesn't seem to care at all. Some places even didn't parse the second middle name I had either!

Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nitro_Guns wrote:
WaJim wrote:
Or

Can you explain what is meant by having the IO on the instructions for the name?

I read that a few times and not sure what it actually meant. How can they say that initials are OK but at the same time a buyer needs to provide their full name?

Not being confrontational. I honestly want to know what they mean, or even if they know what they are saying

In the OPs situation it seems like all they needed to do was have him fill out another form, only use his middle initial, and put IO after it

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:08 pm

Mr. Q wrote:
dreadi wrote:
Chinese folks are welcomed at Black Hammer Arms.

what about koreans??? :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: :angryfire: :angryfire: :crybaby: :crybaby: :AR15firing: :AR15firing:

Only if they come in Roof Korean costume.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:10 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Roof Koreans are Bad Ass, they are welcome at my house anytime. :wagwoot:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:17 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Damn, I’m only an offspring of a rooftop Korean :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that's close enough

Now, if you turn out to only be 1024th rooftop Korean we might take issue...

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:48 pm

RocketScott wrote:
Nitro_Guns wrote:
WaJim wrote:
Or

Can you explain what is meant by having the IO on the instructions for the name?

I read that a few times and not sure what it actually meant. How can they say that initials are OK but at the same time a buyer needs to provide their full name?

Not being confrontational. I honestly want to know what they mean, or even if they know what they are saying

In the OPs situation it seems like all they needed to do was have him fill out another form, only use his middle initial, and put IO after it

As I understand it, not required to use your "full" name. What they have said is that the information on the ID MUST EXACTLY MATCH the information provided on the 4473.

Here is the exact wording from NICS:

"Do the name, date of birth, and place of residence in Section A on the ATF Form 4473 exactly match the valid government-issued photo identification (to include supplemental) document(s) provided to you AND do questions 11b through 11i and 12b and 12c have a “No” response?"

The IO caption, I would assume, is for people that ONLY have an initial as a middle name.

Bottom line is.....Fill out the 4473 the way that your ID shows....

Nitro Products
FFL Dealer
SOT Dealer

Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mr. Q wrote:
Damn, I’m only an offspring of a rooftop Korean :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Close enough, you are in. :wagwoot:

Guntrader wrote: Huh, maybe I was an asshole.

NRA Member/RSO
SAF 5 Year Donor
GOA Member

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nitro_Guns wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
Nitro_Guns wrote:
WaJim wrote:
Or

As I understand it, not required to use your "full" name. What they have said is that the information on the ID MUST EXACTLY MATCH the information provided on the 4473.

Here is the exact wording from NICS:

"Do the name, date of birth, and place of residence in Section A on the ATF Form 4473 exactly match the valid government-issued photo identification (to include supplemental) document(s) provided to you AND do questions 11b through 11i and 12b and 12c have a “No” response?"

The IO caption, I would assume, is for people that ONLY have an initial as a middle name.

Bottom line is.....Fill out the 4473 the way that your ID shows....

Thats the way I understood it.

Unless the form itself demands that you fill in the full name. No middle initial allowed...

Even then, my "full name" as it appears on my DL only has my middle initial.

In fact, that is the way I have always filled it out. And I have never gotten even a delay.

Do justice. Love mercy.

Last edited by Selador on Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next