Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:04 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Shooting Near Marysville 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My friend and I have been getting into firearms and shooting over the past couple years, but thus far only use Norpoint indoor range. We wanted a place we could go to and just shoot, but I'm very unfamiliar with "how that all works," in terms of legality and whatnot. I'm also unsure how to find them. I looked at an interactive map these forums have, and it seems to list ranges (like Norpoint) as well as non-identified tree markers that merely have city names on them and no other descriptions or information. I think people in the related threat referred to them as "honey holes" a few times.

So basically, I have a couple questions: can somehow give me a rundown of laws and basics involving the use of these sort of locations (or suggest a reference that can), and secondly: what are some areas nearest Marysville? Thank you

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:49 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome aboard. I’m in the south sound, Mexico for those who know better, so I’ll let the guys up north chime in as far as the best shooting area. In the meantime, browse the forum. There are hundreds of threads of useful info. Cheers!

NRA Range Safety Officer
NSSF Member
SAF Defender's Club - Life member
US Navy - 1976-1982

Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:57 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome! I mostly shot up at the Sedro Woolley "honey hole" aka the Cowboy Camp aka Medford Pit but that is about 1hr north of Marysville. Really nice location. I also still occasionally shoot at the Duvall honey hole, but it is about a .75 mile hike in and much smaller than Sedro Woolley.

I dont see the "Monroe Pit" on the map anymore, which would be a lot closer, and only a couple hundred meter walk in. Maybe someone else can comment on its status (last I was there was probably 2yrs ago).

Maple loop pass has some good spots I've heard, but I've never been out there.

As for laws, make sure you are on public (state or federal) land, have a good backstop, pay attention to signs, and usually a Discover Pass is required for use of DNR land. Parks are a no go, forests are typically good to go.

Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

beckdw wrote:
Welcome! I mostly shot up at the Sedro Woolley "honey hole" aka the Cowboy Camp aka Medford Pit but that is about 1hr north of Marysville. Really nice location. I also still occasionally shoot at the Duvall honey hole, but it is about a .75 mile hike in and much smaller than Sedro Woolley.

I dont see the "Monroe Pit" on the map anymore, which would be a lot closer, and only a couple hundred meter walk in. Maybe someone else can comment on its status (last I was there was probably 2yrs ago).

Maple loop pass has some good spots I've heard, but I've never been out there.

As for laws, make sure you are on public (state or federal) land, have a good backstop, pay attention to signs, and usually a Discover Pass is required for use of DNR land. Parks are a no go, forests are typically good to go.

Also be aware that public lands do not allow Tannerite. I know everyone shoots the stuff but don't be surprised if you get cited.

Would be a good idea to go to the DNR and Forest Service websites and read all the rules. Targets are restricted also. Mostly to prevent a bunch of trash being left behind but also for safety.

The "Backstop" is a big deal. You can't just tack a target on a tree and shoot into the woods. Have to have a good "EARTH" backstop. Those who are just hosing the trees with their semi-auto's are the ones that are causing more areas to be closed to shooting. That along with all the garbage left behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
" - William Shakespeare

Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:50 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I live in Arlington, I will be out of state until December 4th. I go shooting with my grandson slot, almost every weekend weather permitting. I go to the sedro wooley pit and the pits over I. Darrigton. I generally go on Saturday or Sunday, we can connect for a day and make the circuit. When I go shooting I go for as long as I can, some days we will leave at 7 in the morning and head home at dusk.

How often are you planning on going shooting? Once a month? Every other weekend? Every weekend?.

I have target back stops and other portable targets. I have two clay pigeon throwers, probably I will start my grand son on them. Plus next spring we will be going shooting over night.

Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:35 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I live near Marysville as well and as others have said the Sedro Woolley pit is the one to go to. Just be sure you have a discover pass and don't bring out garbage to shoot, I have been checked by the ranger guy a few times while there. I've been planning on going up there soon if anyone wants to shoot. There is one near Darrington as well but I am not sure if it is still open. I try to go on a Monday or Tuesday (my days off) earlier in the day and usually have the place to myself or with one other car there.

Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:11 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The pits up in Darrington are decent, I was just up at the first one off of Suiattle River Road last Monday. Good pit, but it was a bit messy. I would have cleaned up more, but forgot to bring big trash bags, only had a couple of shopping bags. I cleaned up my stuff and the little bit I could. Next time, I'll have some big trash bags with me. I hate that people don't clean up.

Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:07 pm

I just saw a news story on King 5 about the Monroe pit. I would avoid that area. Supposedly it is closed for logging but people are still shooting and having run ins with the local residents.

Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:14 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

exArmyMP wrote:
I just saw a news story on King 5 about the Monroe pit. I would avoid that area. Supposedly it is closed for logging but people are still shooting and having run ins with the local residents.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/loca ... -617878112

These are not Wagun people.....

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I occasionally shoot at the first pit on the sauk road. I had that pit about cleaned up of the spent shotgun hulls and steel rifle and pistol cases. But I havent been there in a month or so.
I'm sure the pigs deposited more since then.
Only one time I picked up a decent amount of brass there.

We will go there after I get back to Washington state December 4th.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:11 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sepulcher Geist
I got back here tursday, if it doesn't rain Saturday late morning I will be going shooting up to darrington if you can make it out. Not sure which pit, that will be determined by if any one is there already.
I will be loading up some bullets tomorrow or Saturday morning for my grandson to shoot.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:38 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Tomorrow I will be taking the grandson out shooting up to darrington if it doesn't rain. Not sure which spot, depends on which place is empty.

Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]