Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Any Puget Sound Crabbers? 

I usually take my Hobie out on the sound. I know its Winter but I am excited for the next season.

How do you guys crab? What kind of bait? Traps?

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:19 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use old salmon heads and squid. Works really well!

Used to just boil and eat with butter, but I've been getting into crab cakes lately.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:52 am

Those look delicious! I steam them if I am lazy but if I'm feeling fancy I will make a stir fry.

I usually use turkey necks or chicken drums. Old salmon carcasses work good for me too.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:21 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just hoping to have a season next year, a bit of bust for 2017. My kids found a spray can and painted my traps, maybe that'll help.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it's calm, I'll take a tandem Hobie or even a stand-up paddle board. If it's a bit more rough, I'll take a Livingston. I use both rectangular traps and ring nets. I usually set the traps in deeper water and use the ring nets in shallow water. I like the ring nets because it's easier to retrieve the crab and get it back in the water. The downside to the ring nets is you go through bait more quickly. I use turkey drumsticks or salmon heads. The spots that have been most productive for me are Useless Bay and Birch Bay.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:45 am

gwaugh wrote:
Just hoping to have a season next year, a bit of bust for 2017. My kids found a spray can and painted my traps, maybe that'll help.

Yeah I probably only got 2-3 dungies the whole season. Mostly Red Rock.

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:08 am

Guns4Liberty wrote:
If it's calm, I'll take a tandem Hobie or even a stand-up paddle board. If it's a bit more rough, I'll take a Livingston. I use both rectangular traps and ring nets. I usually set the traps in deeper water and use the ring nets in shallow water. I like the ring nets because it's easier to retrieve the crab and get it back in the water. The downside to the ring nets is you go through bait more quickly. I use turkey drumsticks or salmon heads. The spots that have been most productive for me are Useless Bay and Birch Bay.

Do you use a bait cage or just tie it straight to the trap?

Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Batt206 wrote:
Guns4Liberty wrote:

Do you use a bait cage or just tie it straight to the trap?

I do both. If I'm using salmon heads, I tend to use the bait cage, but if I'm using turkey drumsticks then I just hook them directly to the trap (they're too long to fit in my bait cages).

Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:21 am

Old rotting chicken with the feathers still on them. Best bait ever was a dead seagul we found on the beach. The trap that had that had crabs holding on the outside not letting go. Don’t know if that was legal to use or not since gulls are protected. Back in my day the game laws were selectively enforced.

Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]