Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:16 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Advice wanted $1000 to blow 
FFL / Dealer

So with the current political climate if a guy that did not reload but always wanted to. Had a spare $1,000 would it be better to get set up for reloading or pick up a new gun or two.
I currently shoot .40 9mm 30:06 357 as well as 22 and 223

I know my next 3 guns will be an sbr ar lower a 9mm ar and a 308 ar not nescicarilly in that order.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Learn to reload, even if just one caliber

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:55 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

My advice is that you should only reload if you WANT to reload. Don't do it because you think your ammo will be cheaper, or whatever.

Personally, I love reloading. I think I love it more than I love shooting. :bigsmile: But for some people, it's just a chore, and not a pleasant one.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get one of the rifles first so you won't be in the washington registration database. With reloading, you can buy stuff piecemeal while you learn. I also think you should know how to reload, but reloading components are not threatened YET.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:32 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MP has a great point. I greatly enjoy reloading but just don't have time. I try to break the process up. For example brass cleaning distinct and separate operation.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have $1,000 to spend, I'd buy your lowers (multi, 9mm, and .308) and then file your Form 1 application for your SBR. And get a lower that you'll be proud of; once you pay for the tax stamp and register it, you're committed to it. The reloading setup can wait as it'snot currently under threat.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:43 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Skip reloading, for now at least. Not a single law against that on the horizon.

With that $1000, put it towards anything "high capacity" you think you might ever want. AR lowers, magazines, a rifle or two, etc.

As MP said, don't reload if you think it will save you money. Do it if you think you'll enjoy it. The actual economic math "savings" doesn't pan out for most people (with jobs) and most calibers.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:43 pm
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

MadPick wrote:
My advice is that you should only reload if you WANT to reload. Don't do it because you think your ammo will be cheaper, or whatever.

Personally, I love reloading. I think I love it more than I love shooting. :bigsmile: But for some people, it's just a chore, and not a pleasant one.

Definitely this ^^^^. Reload because you want to or because you want to make yourself some custom ammo. If it's about cost, just buy stuff on sale by the case and give your brass to people like MadPick. :bigsmile:

The way I see it, I'm trading a small amount of dollars for lots of my own time back. I reload a few calibers of rifle ammo where I want to carefully control what I make, otherwise I just buy stuff.

About, facebook, twitter, wiki

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:44 pm

Guns4Liberty wrote:
If you have $1,000 to spend, I'd buy your lowers (multi, 9mm, and .308) and then file your Form 1 application for your SBR. And get a lower that you'll be proud of; once you pay for the tax stamp and register it, you're committed to it. The reloading setup can wait as it'snot currently under threat.

I like this advice.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
FFL / Dealer

Sound advice thank you all . Reloading is a whole other hobby I think I would enjoy not “save on” . I think I will start the sbr process immediately after Christmas.
So maybe I need to ask in the NFA forum but would it make sense to SBR a lower I already own and has sentimental meaning to me? I have been 80% ing a few lowers lately so the only AR I have on the books is sentimental and would be cool to have as an SBR .

Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The509busman wrote:
Sound advice thank you all . Reloading is a whole other hobby I think I would enjoy not “save on” . I think I will start the sbr process immediately after Christmas.
So maybe I need to ask in the NFA forum but would it make sense to SBR a lower I already own and has sentimental meaning to me? I have been 80% ing a few lowers lately so the only AR I have on the books is sentimental and would be cool to have as an SBR .

don't waste your money on an "SBR" get an arm brace and call it good. trust me once you have one you say to yourself now what? now when you go to the range you need to make sure you bring your papers with you. for the $200 tax stamp you can buy a real nice brace.

He who does not punish evil commands it to be done. --- Leonardo DaVinci

When its time to go in:
That place of steel and stone. I pray that you will keep me safe, so I will not walk alone. Help me to do my duty, please watch me on my rounds.
Amongst those perilous places and slamming steel door sounds. God, keep my fellow Officers well and free from harm. Let them know I'll be there too, whenever there's alarm.
Above all when I walk my beat, no matter where I roam. Let me go back whence I came, to family and home

Author unknown.

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:04 pm

1000nbucks??????

Coke and hookers. That aught to last....what......2-3 hours?

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:12 pm

mash man wrote:
The509busman wrote:

don't waste your money on an "SBR" get an arm brace and call it good. trust me once you have one you say to yourself now what? now when you go to the range you need to make sure you bring your papers with you. for the $200 tax stamp you can buy a real nice brace.

This is also sound advice. I like pistol braces. They allow me to keep a loaded AR in a vehicle and hunt in firearm restricted areas.

1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have disposable income and will be able to buy build parts later...buy lowers.
If this $1,000 is all you're going to have for a long time I'd say just pick a rifle you like.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:21 am

mash man wrote:
The509busman wrote:

Meh bringing the forms isnt a big deal. Either just keep a copy on your phone or a copy in your range bag. Not really that difficult. I think Ive been asked once anyways. And that was a RSO who asked and then didnt even want to see them lol

But really either way works. I prefer SBR myself so I can put whatever stock I want on the gun and not be "stuck" with the brace you picked.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:09 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next