Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next
 What did you DIY today? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gotta love harbor fright. I needed a super deep socket to put the top end back together in my Peterbilt

Sure I could order one, but where’s the fun in that?

$2 spark plug socket (+free flashlight w/coupon), cut, weld, done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Gotta love harbor fright. I needed a super deep socket to put the top end back together in my Peterbilt

Need to move to DIY. :bigsmile:

Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:07 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

golddigger14s wrote:
RocketScott wrote:

Need to move to DIY. :bigsmile:

That's true, forgot about that

Maybe we need a generic thread in the DIY section...

Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:14 pm
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

:bow: That is excellent. I love this kind of work. :thumbsup2:

Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well look at that, someone actually listened to my suggestion

PMB is my hero!

(better quote that)

Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Made 30 pounds of dogfood, put in 2 lb zip locks and frozen.

Cubed chicken, washed and dried black beans and lentils, peas, bullion cubes, washed white rice. Dogs love it. I've made it in the past with carrots, liver, brocolli... it's simple and a good alternative to dry or wet food for daily or a treat.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:46 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Poured the concrete on my kitchen island, hoping to do the rest of the counters tommorow. Trying to wrap up the kitchen remodel in the next couple weekends

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:22 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWRed wrote:
Poured the concrete on my kitchen island, hoping to do the rest of the counters tommorow. Trying to wrap up the kitchen remodel in the next couple weekends

This process seems fascinating to me! Tips and tricks? Will google.

I fixed 3 extension cords, simple - nice 12 gauge cords with shitty receptacle or broken ground prong. Trick is finding low cost good quality parts, so I was just patient. Now 3 more (mostly reserved for indoor) nice HD cords.

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pablo wrote:
NWRed wrote:

I fixed 3 extension cords, simple - nice 12 gauge cords with shitty receptacle or broken ground prong. Trick is finding low cost good quality parts, so I was just patient. Now 3 more (mostly reserved for indoor) nice HD cords.

Where did you find the ends?

Seems like it’s harder to find good ones anymore. I think last time I just ordered a dozen of each online

Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:07 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Pablo wrote:
NWRed wrote:

Seems like it’s harder to find good ones anymore. I think last time I just ordered a dozen of each online

Have not bought online. Garage sales (new in bag), relatives, and discount bins believe it or not. Our Duvall True Value is changing to Ace, so they have shit everywhere, some not marked yet......score. Yeah new high quality 15 amp plugs can be $20!!!

Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:59 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

Pablo wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
Pablo wrote:
NWRed wrote:

Have not bought online. Garage sales (new in bag), relatives, and discount bins believe it or not. Our Duvall True Value is changing to Ace, so they have shit everywhere, some not marked yet......score. Yeah new high quality 15 amp plugs can be $20!!!

The quality/price of electrical plugs has been one of my big irritants in DIY. I've always kept a supply of Daniel Woodhead and other USA or German cord ends (M/F) for my industrial and commercial jobs, but like the cobbler's shoes, I tried to skimp by with lesser expense on the ones that I might have to use around the house.
One time I bought a pack of 20 male ends on eBay for what seemed like a great price. They looked good quality in the photos.
They arrived looking much different... A big MADE IN CHINA sticker on each one, when the photo did not have that. I raffed.
I used one, it felt cheap and cracked very quickly. I threw every one in the garbage! They were that bad!
Now I gladly spend big $ on Daniel Woodhead (and other high end) plugs and replace any questionable ones around the house with those. I generally buy the watertight, but any high quality end ends up in my Sterilite container dedicated to pug ends.

They're not hard to find... It's just tricky to overcome the natural tendency to pick up two items that look almost the same, see a cost difference of 10x (!!?) and decide to spend that 10x (!!?)
It's easier when you put yourself on a subscription plan... I don't buy plug ends when I need them - I buy them in qty and have a box sitting there full of them, replace the next time I think about it.

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:46 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

iboats has weather proof cord ends, but the one I need, a 20A 125V straight blade male connector has been out of stock. Where exactly are you getting good heavy duty cord ends?

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:15 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I need cord ends, (Either end. And yes, I have various lengths of 12ga and bigger "DIY extension cords, too. LOL), I go to the tools section, grab a screwdriver...

And then I ignore all the funny looks from customers, and glares from employees, while I stand there in the aisle, taking apart cord ends, and inspecting them.

My goal... The best one they have, at the cheapest price. You can almost always find one that is as good as the best they have, that is cheaper. Right there on the same shelves.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:59 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
iboats has weather proof cord ends, but the one I need, a 20A 125V straight blade male connector has been out of stock. Where exactly are you getting good heavy duty cord ends?

Don't know about weather proof. Just want HD. Pretty much if I repair any cord, it's indoor or summer dry use at most. The top end Leviton and above are fine. But the Lowers or Homer Despot $5 units, no good. What Selador wrote.

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:00 am
In Memoriam
In Memoriam

jukk0u wrote:

You when you need one, you generally need it now. I dislike having to drop what I am doing and head for the big city to buy parts, so I keep various bins of oft-needed things, and good cord ends are one of those.
So this is where I shop when I need one :
Spoiler: show

When I am in a hardware store or electrical supplies warehouse I'll throw 3-10 DW cord ends, a case of 3m 33 or Super 88, maybe a pair of Klein's diagonal cutters in the basket to replace things that I have used since the last time I was in.
Another item that comes to mind that I replace in a set of 10- blue painter's tape rolls.

Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next