Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:51 pm


Rules Brads Guns Rainier Arms McCallen Killer Innovations Fessleman Firearms
WGO Chat Room Rehv Arms Vantage Reloading
Gear Fortis WCA 2A Ind. Pintos WAC
Calendar




Reply to topic  [ 474 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next
 What did you DIY today? 
Author Message
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015
Posts: 6868
Gotta love harbor fright. I needed a super deep socket to put the top end back together in my Peterbilt

Sure I could order one, but where’s the fun in that?

$2 spark plug socket (+free flashlight w/coupon), cut, weld, done
Image


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for


Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:24 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Faxon, OK
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011
Posts: 15023
Real Name: Chuck
RocketScott wrote:
Gotta love harbor fright. I needed a super deep socket to put the top end back together in my Peterbilt

Sure I could order one, but where’s the fun in that?

$2 spark plug socket (+free flashlight w/coupon), cut, weld, done


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need to move to DIY. :bigsmile:

_________________
"The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
"Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux


Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:07 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015
Posts: 6868
golddigger14s wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
Gotta love harbor fright. I needed a super deep socket to put the top end back together in my Peterbilt

Sure I could order one, but where’s the fun in that?

$2 spark plug socket (+free flashlight w/coupon), cut, weld, done


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Need to move to DIY. :bigsmile:


That's true, forgot about that

Maybe we need a generic thread in the DIY section...

_________________
You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for


Fri Dec 21, 2018 4:14 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Joined: Wed Mar 6, 2013
Posts: 12018
:bow: That is excellent. I love this kind of work. :thumbsup2:


Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:23 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015
Posts: 6868
Well look at that, someone actually listened to my suggestion

PMB is my hero!

(better quote that)

_________________
You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for


Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:42 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Can't say
Joined: Sun Sep 7, 2014
Posts: 7541
Made 30 pounds of dogfood, put in 2 lb zip locks and frozen.

Cubed chicken, washed and dried black beans and lentils, peas, bullion cubes, washed white rice. Dogs love it. I've made it in the past with carrots, liver, brocolli... it's simple and a good alternative to dry or wet food for daily or a treat.

_________________
I defend the 2A. US Army Combat Veteran and Paratrooper: OIF Veteran. BSM and MSM recipient. NRA Lifetime. Entertainment purposes only. I'm a lawyer, but have not offered you legal advice.


Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:46 pm
Profile
Online
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Puyallup for now
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011
Posts: 1667
Poured the concrete on my kitchen island, hoping to do the rest of the counters tommorow. Trying to wrap up the kitchen remodel in the next couple weekends


You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.


Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:22 pm
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Duvall
Joined: Sun Jan 6, 2013
Posts: 20572
Real Name: Paco X
NWRed wrote:
Poured the concrete on my kitchen island, hoping to do the rest of the counters tommorow. Trying to wrap up the kitchen remodel in the next couple weekends


This process seems fascinating to me! Tips and tricks? Will google.


I fixed 3 extension cords, simple - nice 12 gauge cords with shitty receptacle or broken ground prong. Trick is finding low cost good quality parts, so I was just patient. Now 3 more (mostly reserved for indoor) nice HD cords.

_________________
I'm like Jesus only bitter and hateful.

NOT A PROFESSIONAL RUSSIAN.


Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:46 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Tacoma
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015
Posts: 6868
Pablo wrote:
NWRed wrote:
Poured the concrete on my kitchen island, hoping to do the rest of the counters tommorow. Trying to wrap up the kitchen remodel in the next couple weekends


This process seems fascinating to me! Tips and tricks? Will google.


I fixed 3 extension cords, simple - nice 12 gauge cords with shitty receptacle or broken ground prong. Trick is finding low cost good quality parts, so I was just patient. Now 3 more (mostly reserved for indoor) nice HD cords.


Where did you find the ends?

Seems like it’s harder to find good ones anymore. I think last time I just ordered a dozen of each online


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_________________
You may be right, I may be crazy, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for


Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:07 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Duvall
Joined: Sun Jan 6, 2013
Posts: 20572
Real Name: Paco X
RocketScott wrote:
Pablo wrote:
NWRed wrote:
Poured the concrete on my kitchen island, hoping to do the rest of the counters tommorow. Trying to wrap up the kitchen remodel in the next couple weekends


This process seems fascinating to me! Tips and tricks? Will google.


I fixed 3 extension cords, simple - nice 12 gauge cords with shitty receptacle or broken ground prong. Trick is finding low cost good quality parts, so I was just patient. Now 3 more (mostly reserved for indoor) nice HD cords.


Where did you find the ends?

Seems like it’s harder to find good ones anymore. I think last time I just ordered a dozen of each online


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Have not bought online. Garage sales (new in bag), relatives, and discount bins believe it or not. Our Duvall True Value is changing to Ace, so they have shit everywhere, some not marked yet......score. Yeah new high quality 15 amp plugs can be $20!!!

_________________
I'm like Jesus only bitter and hateful.

NOT A PROFESSIONAL RUSSIAN.


Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:59 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Joined: Wed Mar 6, 2013
Posts: 12018
Pablo wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
Pablo wrote:
NWRed wrote:
Poured the concrete on my kitchen island, hoping to do the rest of the counters tommorow. Trying to wrap up the kitchen remodel in the next couple weekends


This process seems fascinating to me! Tips and tricks? Will google.

I fixed 3 extension cords, simple - nice 12 gauge cords with shitty receptacle or broken ground prong. Trick is finding low cost good quality parts, so I was just patient. Now 3 more (mostly reserved for indoor) nice HD cords.


Where did you find the ends?

Seems like it’s harder to find good ones anymore. I think last time I just ordered a dozen of each online


Have not bought online. Garage sales (new in bag), relatives, and discount bins believe it or not. Our Duvall True Value is changing to Ace, so they have shit everywhere, some not marked yet......score. Yeah new high quality 15 amp plugs can be $20!!!

The quality/price of electrical plugs has been one of my big irritants in DIY. I've always kept a supply of Daniel Woodhead and other USA or German cord ends (M/F) for my industrial and commercial jobs, but like the cobbler's shoes, I tried to skimp by with lesser expense on the ones that I might have to use around the house.
One time I bought a pack of 20 male ends on eBay for what seemed like a great price. They looked good quality in the photos.
They arrived looking much different... A big MADE IN CHINA sticker on each one, when the photo did not have that. I raffed.
I used one, it felt cheap and cracked very quickly. I threw every one in the garbage! They were that bad!
Now I gladly spend big $ on Daniel Woodhead (and other high end) plugs and replace any questionable ones around the house with those. I generally buy the watertight, but any high quality end ends up in my Sterilite container dedicated to pug ends.

They're not hard to find... It's just tricky to overcome the natural tendency to pick up two items that look almost the same, see a cost difference of 10x (!!?) and decide to spend that 10x (!!?)
It's easier when you put yourself on a subscription plan... I don't buy plug ends when I need them - I buy them in qty and have a box sitting there full of them, replace the next time I think about it.


Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:46 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: kirkland
Joined: Wed May 1, 2013
Posts: 12681
Real Name: jim
iboats has weather proof cord ends, but the one I need, a 20A 125V straight blade male connector has been out of stock. Where exactly are you getting good heavy duty cord ends?

_________________
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

"I love Girl Scout Crack!" ~ usrifle

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli


Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:15 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Index
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012
Posts: 11456
Real Name: Jeff
When I need cord ends, (Either end. And yes, I have various lengths of 12ga and bigger "DIY extension cords, too. LOL), I go to the tools section, grab a screwdriver...

And then I ignore all the funny looks from customers, and glares from employees, while I stand there in the aisle, taking apart cord ends, and inspecting them.

My goal... The best one they have, at the cheapest price. You can almost always find one that is as good as the best they have, that is cheaper. Right there on the same shelves.

_________________
-Jeff

Image

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

The problem with being on social media, is that you know too many people that you don't know.

Joy is not a feeling. It is a strength. Some people are stupid, that's all there is to it. (And sometimes that stupid person is me/you.) Sometimes you just have to let stupid people be stupid. Don't let stupid steal your joy.

Holding onto unforgiveness and resentment is like drinking poison and expecting that other person to die. Anger will eat you up.


Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:59 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Location: Duvall
Joined: Sun Jan 6, 2013
Posts: 20572
Real Name: Paco X
jukk0u wrote:
iboats has weather proof cord ends, but the one I need, a 20A 125V straight blade male connector has been out of stock. Where exactly are you getting good heavy duty cord ends?


Don't know about weather proof. Just want HD. Pretty much if I repair any cord, it's indoor or summer dry use at most. The top end Leviton and above are fine. But the Lowers or Homer Despot $5 units, no good. What Selador wrote.

_________________
I'm like Jesus only bitter and hateful.

NOT A PROFESSIONAL RUSSIAN.


Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:00 am
Profile
Site Supporter
User avatar
Site Supporter

Joined: Wed Mar 6, 2013
Posts: 12018
jukk0u wrote:
iboats has weather proof cord ends, but the one I need, a 20A 125V straight blade male connector has been out of stock. Where exactly are you getting good heavy duty cord ends?

You when you need one, you generally need it now. I dislike having to drop what I am doing and head for the big city to buy parts, so I keep various bins of oft-needed things, and good cord ends are one of those.
So this is where I shop when I need one :
Spoiler: show
Image


When I am in a hardware store or electrical supplies warehouse I'll throw 3-10 DW cord ends, a case of 3m 33 or Super 88, maybe a pair of Klein's diagonal cutters in the basket to replace things that I have used since the last time I was in.
Another item that comes to mind that I replace in a set of 10- blue painter's tape rolls.


Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:06 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 474 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 32  Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum



Rent Me Pintos NRA SAF CCKRBA
Aldersons e-arms.com


Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
Designed by ST Software for PTF.
[ Time : 0.765s | 15 Queries | GZIP : Off ]