Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:16 am

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 EDC get home coat idea,,,,,, 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The new generation of off-road Kilimanjaro coats will hold a lot of stuff, I picked up a First Gear vented "K" coat a coupl'a years ago, and as time would have it I don't ride wintertime traffic, just not worth it,
Anyway, four weather tight pockets on the front, side cinch belts each side for hangin' things like mag pouches, flap top holster, knife &/or multi-tool pouch, ect.

Huge back pocket, could stuff a sleep system in, the back armor pocket could be converted to a hydration bladder pocket, they may even manufacture a biking jacket with a hydration pouch in it, but I own too many MC jackets to purchase another one so I'll select on for the new EDC,,,,,,

Couple of inside pockets for wallet & phone, zip in cold weather liner, water proof and breathable, only thing kind of holding me back is the reflective beading along the sleeves and body of the coat, may not want to be seen at a distance when hoofin' along greyman style.

Just an idea that came to me this morning,,,

Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds interesting. Link?

Because the eagle sounds like a hawk.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fir ... aro-jacket

Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:13 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've found some in Value Village for $30.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah I've seen them there and at the Will on occasion, mines still in new condition, had a battle with cataracts last summer, riding blind in one eye just ain't smart,,,,,,,, saved a lot of use of the jacket I had just purchased for goin' to the hills on the KLR.

Had the eye's fixed now with 20/20 I keep trying to remember what my old mind think it forgot,,,, my glasses.
'bout to drive me nutz most of the way to work checkin' my pockets for what I don't wear after 50yrs of never living home without 'em, ya know?

So back on topic, the more I think about it the more it could work into the over all Get Home System, every piece compliments the kit with out getting redundant.

Mines the,,,,, wait a minute, mines a Fly brand Kilimanjaro Rainier, all black,,, my poor old mind, anyway it has 4 front outside weather proof pockets and side cinch straps, and a huge back pouch about 13" wide and about 10" tall. could easily hold cover, front pockets for FAK, fire, water purification, one pocket for the radio, probably be able to cut the weight in the V bag by half.

Have the Mobius 2.0 for larger stuff and can lighten it up by a few pounds.
It carries what I don't want stolen from a parked car, so there are a few heavy things in it. icon_eek
The jacket would live in the van, can have spare mags, Mora, Skelitool, Eton Scorpion II, food, spare wool socks, ect.,,,

I will help distribute the weight and supplies for a 36hr survival task but after looking at it, the back/spine armor pocket isn't strong enough for hydration pouch, I'll get by on water bottles in the V pack.

Still can't find a link to one, maybe not made anymore, anyway, being new condition, it has the no money involved Sunday project billet filled :bigsmile:

Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:32 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the idea of a M/C jacket as a skirmish jacket (the armor and thick fabric seem to lend themselves to such an event, but maybe a bit too restrictive?)

No hood on a M/C jacket is a deal breaker for me, unless you have a poncho to go over top.

I have a surplus Gore service parka (flecktarn - Ger) in the GHB. Hooded and waterproof. $40. Pockets galore, but no armor.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do textile jackets shrink if you leave them on the hangers too long?

Mine seems to have, also the sleeves are a bit long, the armor only weighs in at a pound and a half for the entire jacket, but they stiffen up the sleeves and shoulder area.

Well it was an idea, I like the service parka, finding one is a no-brainer, guess that's tomorrow's drive r round.

Did they ever start to put molle on them?

Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:28 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

mjw wrote:
Do textile jackets shrink if you leave them on the hangers too long?

Mine seems to have, also the sleeves are a bit long, the armor only weighs in at a pound and a half for the entire jacket, but they stiffen up the sleeves and shoulder area.

Well it was an idea, I like the service parka, finding one is a no-brainer, guess that's tomorrow's drive r round.

Did they ever start to put molle on them?

All my clothes shrink if I leave them along in the closet. :wink05:

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:41 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The motor cycle jackets usually have extra long arms (and sometimes forward sewn) because one has to extend arms forward to reach the handlebars. The arms are sewn "pre-positioned" so to speak.

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jukk0u wrote:
The motor cycle jackets usually have extra long arms (and sometimes forward sewn) because one has to extend arms forward to reach the handlebars. The arms are sewn "pre-positioned" so to speak.

That too, guess once on the idea bench, trial & error to something along the same lines of the idea without looking too tactical.

The up side is that I got a good look at what I was going to use and just looked outside, think maybe a pop tent with a hood, sleeves and pockets.

There will be a lot of those parka's out there, see lots of them in cars when I'm working on them.

Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:15 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.ozarksource.com/voodoo-tact ... d=Cj0KCQiA

What do you think?
Anybody got one?

Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:03 am

I just use one of my old Army field jacket.

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]