Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Stolen Winchester 1892 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just saw this on arf.com:

Quote:
(Crossposting from GD.)

Today I got a call from John Taylor of Taylor Machine in Puyallup, to whom I shipped my Winchester 1892 to get the barrel relined. All he received was an empty box. I'm going to file a police report for a stolen firearm tomorrow but in the meantime I am posting this here:

Type: Lever action rifle
Make: Winchester
Model: 1892
Serial number: 100156
Barrel length: 24 inches
Caliber: .38 WCF AKA 38-40 Win
Finish: Metal has turned brown. Buttstock and forend are brown walnut wood.

The rifle is an antique manufactured in 1898 per the factory letter that I got from the Buffalo Bill Center of the Wild West.

Pictures of the stolen rifle are on my blog here.https://blogostuff.blogspot.com/2019/01/stolen-winchester-1892.html

Any help in recovery will be appreciated.

Note: Mr. Taylor has a stellar reputation, which is why I was shipping a rifle from PA to WA. I do not believe he is trying to pull a fast one.

Quote:
Welp, one more BTT from me.

I filed the report with my local PD this morning. The officer was very helpful, especially after he saw all the documentation that I prepared and gave to him (receipts, shipping records, photos of the rifle, etc.). The report will be uploaded to the NCIC.

I went to the UPS Store from where I shipped the rifle and I'm waiting for a call back from the owner later today. If he doesn't, I am going to raise holy hell.

Aside from that, I have sent emails and Facebook messages to about 25 local FFLs and to 14 FFLs out in WA, the area to which I shipped the rifle. I've gotten a few replies indicating that they'll keep an eye out.

Keeping my fingers crossed but trying not to get my hopes up.

ETA: Here's the thread on arf:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Hometown/Stolen-Winchester-1892/15-630511/

Last edited by RocketScott on Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:08 am
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

GD, but I hate to see thievery of any kind, but firearm thievery riles me up especially.
And it was entrusted to a shipping company.
What a mess.

"There are violent crazy murderous people in our society! We need to give up all of our means of self-protection IMMEDIATELY!"

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just magically fell out of the box, right

If it happened in a sort facility I would think it would be obvious, unless they were organized enough to have multiple people involved. A handgun could slip into a pocket but how is someone going to get out of the facility with a rifle?

Once it goes on the truck and leaves the facility it's down to just one person. I bet they're going to bust that guys balls for a while.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:30 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

RocketScott wrote:
Just magically fell out of the box, right

If it happened in a sort facility I would think it would be obvious, unless they were organized enough to have multiple people involved. A handgun could slip into a pocket but how is someone going to get out of the facility with a rifle?

Once it goes on the truck and leaves the facility it's down to just one person. I bet they're going to bust that guys balls for a while.

My bet is on the employee at the UPS store

Actor portrayal, Action figures sold separately, You must be at least this tall to ride, Individual results may vary, Sales tax not included, All models are over 18 years of age, upon approval of credit, Quantities are limited while supplies last, Some restrictions apply, Not available with other offers, At participating locations only, Void where prohibited, Above terms subject to change without notice, Patent pending.

See my blog: http://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/

Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:44 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"UPS Ground, insured"

UPS Bastards better be acting and not just talking. Stat

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:37 am

UPS Store, or UPS Facility. The one out here in Yelm won't even ship a scope. OMFG, SCARY GUN PARTS!

It smells like soy in that store.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:42 am
Site Supporter / FFL Dealer

UPS store are not supposed to handle shipping of firearms but, I know it's happened before.

NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms

Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:48 am
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

waglocker wrote:
UPS Store, or UPS Facility. The one out here in Yelm won't even ship a scope. OMFG, SCARY GUN PARTS!

Tell me about it. I ordered 100 AR mags and had them shipped to a UPS Store in VA so my brother could cash them in for a handsome profit at a Baltimore PD "buyback" the week before Christmas. Long story short, BPD changed the rules at the last minute and limited the mag turn-in to 2 per person, so I had my brother ship them back to Primary Arms for me for a refund. He just made one small "mistake"; he cut open the box at the front counter to put the Return Authorization info inside, and the employee saw the magazines and said "No no no, we can't ship those." My brother just looked at him and said, "Then how did they get here?" Even the manager said they wouldn't ship anything gun-related, so my brother just walked across the street to FedEx and shipped them from there. And before someone says that it's just a UPS store policy, that doesn't make any difference to me; the knee-jerk fear of all things guns is insanely stupid.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:00 am

Guns4Liberty wrote:
waglocker wrote:

And before someone says that it's just a UPS store policy, that doesn't make any difference to me; the knee-jerk fear of all things guns is insanely stupid.

I agree. UPS store told me the same thing when I was shipping return items to Brownells with their UPS provided label.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:05 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dreadi wrote:
UPS store are not supposed to handle shipping of firearms but, I know it's happened before.

When I needed to send my Henry back for service, the owner at the UPS Store sold me a box and said to not tell him what was in it when I came back to ship it out. Granted, I had a mailbox there and was on a first name basis with the owner and employees...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:15 pm

edogg wrote:
dreadi wrote:

When I needed to send my Henry back for service, the owner at the UPS Store sold me a box and said to not tell him what was in it when I came back to ship it out. Granted, I had a mailbox there and was on a first name basis with the owner and employees...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let me guess. You shipped out some metal samples.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:19 pm
Profile WWW
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why People use UPS or Fedex to ship a Long Gun is beyond me. USPS People! I have shipped dozens that way and never had a Problem.
I hope the OP gets his Winchester back, but not holding my breath unless it's found during an unrelated bust of some sort.

NRA RSO

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:23 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

usrifle wrote:
Why People use UPS or Fedex to ship a Long Gun is beyond me. USPS People! I have shipped dozens that way and never had a Problem.

Well, there are plenty of stories of Post Office employees refusing to ship guns, as well.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:54 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
usrifle wrote:

Well, there are plenty of stories of Post Office employees refusing to ship guns, as well.

And even more of postal theft.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've NEVER had an issue with shipping or receiving from the USPS...been doing so for over 30 years.

-- Travis A Kisner

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:49 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next