Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:17 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 73  Next
 What did you DIY today? 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
delliottg wrote:
Could you crack the hydraulics / pistons (I'm not sure which it'd be for your case), and rotate the engine by hand to relieve the hydraulic lock?

I've cycled all the available hydraulic controls to ensure that the valves have had a chance to dump pressure back to the tank.
Right now I am thinking of cracking the high pressure connections coming out of the pumps.
For a hydraulically locked engine (cylinder(s) filled with a fluid), the plan is to remove each injector... first to check to see if one is full, and then to test the injector itself.
It really shouldn't be a liquid filled cylinder... If it was that, it should show up in the crankcase by now.
I'm a shade tree mechanic, so wide open for corrections in my mile-wide gaps of heavy eqpt mechanic skills.

Not going to take much to hydralock. Your piston to head quench is minimal, although you'll have a dished piston being diesel. A very small handful of non compressible liquid will lock her up, and you won't notice the basement getting full.
No clue what the crank snout bolt is, but is it enough to just try and turn it over? I've turned over a boat load of engines clearing out fuel and oil from changing injectors, it isn't fun and a good workout, but does the trick.
Depending how the injectors are fed with fuel, how installed in the head and if there is a injector cup, you could have anything from antifreeze to fuel in the cylinder and only way it'll reach the basement is past the rings. Hell, I've had injector pintles hang and spray fuel in the cylinder non stop with pump running.
I'd get the big tools and start turning it over by hand until you can do so easily, without breaking the crank bolt...but also watching at the same time the exhaust manifold to see if any cylinder is leaking a fluid to have a better idea of what caused it.
Also look to see if rain water filled shit up, mice made a home and got past the filter and shit in intake, have an alternator frozen and being driven by belt and keeping engine from turning.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:35 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PMB wrote:
delliottg wrote:
Could you crack the hydraulics / pistons (I'm not sure which it'd be for your case), and rotate the engine by hand to relieve the hydraulic lock?

I've cycled all the available hydraulic controls to ensure that the valves have had a chance to dump pressure back to the tank.
Right now I am thinking of cracking the high pressure connections coming out of the pumps.
For a hydraulically locked engine (cylinder(s) filled with a fluid), the plan is to remove each injector... first to check to see if one is full, and then to test the injector itself.
It really shouldn't be a liquid filled cylinder... If it was that, it should show up in the crankcase by now.
I'm a shade tree mechanic, so wide open for corrections in my mile-wide gaps of heavy eqpt mechanic skills.

Personally, for kicks and grins, I'd crack all the injectors and then try to turn it over by hand again.

That should pretty quickly tell you if a piston bore is hydrolocked.

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:06 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Holler if you need a hand, Mike. As I've mentioned in the past I'm real good at leaning on things. I also know what happens when you push too much during shoulder rehabs, and it ain't worth it. Make the call.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:23 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How are the grounds looking? Getting power to things without a good path for the return doesn't help much

What flavor of engine is it?

Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:59 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was at motion industries this morning getting some seals for the boat. They had a pile of pallets in their yard and told me to take as many as I wanted. Got just enough to finish building some taller sides for my dump trailer

Gotta love it when stop #1 on my list crosses off stop #2 as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:05 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

RocketScott wrote:
I was at motion industries this morning getting some seals for the boat. They had a pile of pallets in their yard and told me to take as many as I wanted. Got just enough to finish building some taller sides for my dump trailer

I call bullshit.

No red-blooded American male goes from finding freaking pallets to taking them apart and getting them rebuilt into something else in a single day.

First you need to stack the pallets next to your wife's car in the garage, or maybe in an ugly pile in the backyard, and let them sit for a month or six. Then, you can move on to the next step, which would probably be planning the project.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
RocketScott wrote:

I call bullshit.

No red-blooded American male goes from finding freaking pallets to taking them apart and getting them rebuilt into something else in a single day.

First you need to stack the pallets next to your wife's car in the garage, or maybe in an ugly pile in the backyard, and let them sit for a month or six. Then, you can move on to the next step, which would probably be planning the project.

^that^

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:51 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
RocketScott wrote:

I call bullshit.

Damn right. Seems fishy to me.

So, when does that "Old enough to know better" shit kick in???
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:42 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

MadPick wrote:
RocketScott wrote:

I call bullshit.

I just had to cut the slats and staple them on, couple hour job

The frames I made last week, maybe three hours

Felt good to do some woodworking again, I've been turning wrenches on my boom truck for too long

Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Last edited by CQBgopher on Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

dan360 wrote:
RocketScott wrote:
Gotta love it when stop #1 on my list crosses off stop #2 as well

It’s only a bad thing when it would happen at those old Kingdome stainless troughs. People scatter.

Damn those cheese curds.

There's a few ways of dealing with that, depends

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:03 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Traut wrote:
MadPick wrote:
RocketScott wrote:

I call bullshit.

Damn right. Seems fishy to me.

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:05 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:09 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:12 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

leadcounsel wrote:

You know, I thought you guys would appreciate what I can do with my wood

Hell, thought some of you might ask me to come over and help you with your wood (or come over here and do it, I'll work with wood wherever)

Now I don't really care

I'm just going to work my wood by myself

Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1085 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 73  Next