Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:28 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next
 Sous-vide cooking 
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What bags do you all use? I read somewhere that Ziploc type may not be safe above 150. Looked at Silicone, but there are so many out there. Are food saver bags fine?

Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:13 am

I use 1 of 3 types of bags.

Firstly, for short, cool cooks (under 2 hours, under 150), Ziplocs are fine. The main risk is that the heat degrades them and the bag leaks if you go above 150.

For longer or hotter cooks, I use Food Saver bags.

finally, just before Christmas I got a re-usable silicone bag. It's the "Stasher" brand, and while it does work pretty well, I haven't made much use of it yet. It's annoying to clean, so far, but it has worked both times I've used it.

Also remember that you can use other containers, like glass jars for liquids or cheesecake-like things.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:37 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Food saver bags for everything.

Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:58 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WanderingWalrus wrote:
I use 1 of 3 types of bags.

Firstly, for short, cool cooks (under 2 hours, under 150), Ziplocs are fine. The main risk is that the heat degrades them and the bag leaks if you go above 150.

For longer or hotter cooks, I use Food Saver bags.

finally, just before Christmas I got a re-usable silicone bag. It's the "Stasher" brand, and while it does work pretty well, I haven't made much use of it yet. It's annoying to clean, so far, but it has worked both times I've used it.

Also remember that you can use other containers, like glass jars for liquids or cheesecake-like things.

:plusone: , BUT emphasizing that if using the Ziplock, it's the freezer bags, which are thicker, and using the submersion technique for air dispersion.

Also, I read somewhere in one of these threads that someone Sous-vide a large piece of meat in the cryovac it came in. Everything I've read is that that is a no-no for a variety of reasons...

Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:16 am

I've done that once or twice when feeling lazy. Most of the time I'm not so lazy that I don't spice it first and then have to bag it, so it's no tbeen a problem. I haven't heard of reasons why not to - can you link us to something about that?

Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:52 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

WanderingWalrus wrote:
I've done that once or twice when feeling lazy. Most of the time I'm not so lazy that I don't spice it first and then have to bag it, so it's no tbeen a problem. I haven't heard of reasons why not to - can you link us to something about that?

First and foremost, there is no way to know the quality of the plastic, and if it can be heated, even cryovac packages. Some plastics are only food safe in cold temps, just like Ziplocs shouldn't be heated above 155-158...

The common assumption is that companies will use the cheapest plastic that is safe, so they won't spend the extra money to ship products in plastic that exceeds the parameters of what they are using it for. If they are shipping food frozen, or below 40*, why would they spend the extra money, millions of times over, for something that exceeds that?

There's is also a chance there is one of those pads in there that soaks up juices, that you can't see due to the labeling.

Speaking of labels, the inks on them, and the labels themselves aren't good for your sous vide if they come off.

And lastly, I owe it to my family to at least smell what I am cooking, before I cook it. On more than one occasion, I've literally left Cash & Carry with a cryovac package of meat, brought it home & opened it to cook, and could tell right away the meat smelled bad, and took it right back. We may have eaten some or all of it if I had just cooked it as it was...

I'm not sure if this is one of the articles I read before, but it seems to contain a lot of this similar info:

https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/inf ... -ask-jason

Hope that helps...if you google, there will be other articles, I'm sure.

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:30 am

Nope, that's good. That's pretty much what I was after. Thank you!

Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:33 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

any good resources to making your own deli style meats with suis-vide?

Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:00 am

I did the Chefsteps pastrami, once: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-pastrami

It's really really good, but the time taken is looooong, and the yield from the ribs I got wasn't great. Maybe it was okay, but the result was so good that it only lasted the evening that I pulled them out.

I would also trust Amazing Ribs: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/ ... ami-recipe

Serious Eats had a roast beef/beef roast article not so long ago: https://www.seriouseats.com/2018/11/how ... -beef.html

Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:00 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cooked up some elk back strap tonight for the family. Done Sous Vide 131 degrees for 2.5 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:25 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting.

Did you sear via oven, stove-top, or torch?

Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:45 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NWGunner wrote:
Interesting.

Did you sear via oven, stove-top, or torch?

Stove top in cast iron. Didn’t use the torch this time.

Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:43 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Egg bites-

Eggs, cream, red peppers, onion, bacon, cheese, salt and pepper. 170 degrees for 50 mins.

ImageImage

Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:04 am

Some good-looking pictures, recently!

Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:53 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cheap chuck roast I did while back. All my beef/elk/deer I cook at 131 degrees. Time depends on cut. This particular cut I let go for almost 30 hours. For a $14 roast it turned out amazing. I paired it with a spicy pepper jelly, smoked Gouda cheese and a cracker.

ImageImageImage

Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:54 am
Reply to topic   [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 19  Next