Site Supporter

Sherp

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BlDtyLry wrote:
Sherp

:thumbsup2:

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

Láodòng zhèng zhūwèi zìyóu

FJB

Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:13 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sherps are kinda a worthless novelty for folks with too much money.

Really are not good at anything. They do work kinda, but not well.

Its painfull to watch a video of one being used if you have ever used a capable wheeling rig.

JMO.

Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:24 pm

Sherp starts at 7:42...

US Constitution: VOID where prohibited by law.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 12:02 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The sherps design has been around for decades. Look at the "Coot" and GammaGoats and Ducks and amphicars. Also look at the old tundra land trains of the 60s. Muskeg and watery swamp is where they shine.

All use a floating chassis designs. None were a good wheeled vehicle. None were a good watercraft.

The only advantage they have is flotation. The only place they shine is where they need to float.

Even honda got a chunk of the action with the old balloon tired ATCs.

These sherps are NOT cheap either. They are a great rig to sell to hollywood folks and pro athletes tho. More novelty for the buck.

Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:29 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

.Mil will be auctioning off a goodly amount of vehicles this March.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/201 ... hance.html

"The said Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." ~ Samuel Adams

“A return to First Principles in a Republic is sometimes caused by simple virtues of a single man. His good example has such an influence that the good men strive to imitate him, and the wicked are ashamed to lead a life so contrary to his example. Before all else, be armed!” ~ Niccolo Machiavelli

FJB

Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:40 pm

I'll just keep driving my surplus M1009 CUCV.

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:55 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

https://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/search.ips?ct=3

Locations also in Mexico and Oman? (Mexico is a strange location for surplus vehicles)

Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:36 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For driving with NOD's you'll need these:

https://www.armsunlimited.com/Lightforc ... pkusir.htm

IR driving lights

FJB

Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:18 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

jackass wrote:
https://www.govplanet.com/jsp/s/search.ips?ct=3

Locations also in Mexico and Oman? (Mexico is a strange location for surplus vehicles)

That’s because govplanet is just a contractor that got the bid to sell off things turned into DRMO. They auction off stuff for all kinds of companies. All over the world

"I'm Hub McCann. I've fought in two World Wars and countless smaller ones on three continents. I led thousands of men into battle with everything from horses and swords to artillery and TANKS! I've seen the headwaters of the Nile, and tribes of natives no white man had ever seen before. I've won and lost a dozen fortunes, KILLED MANY MEN! And loved only one woman, with a passion a FLEA like you could never begin to understand. That's who I am. NOW, GO HOME, BOY!"

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones". Albert Einstein 1947

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:52 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hal O'Peridol wrote:
I'll just keep driving my surplus M1009 CUCV.

Pretty close to my ideal BOV. Early '80s mechanical injection diesel, 4x4, with a trailer hitch and a bed fuel tank. Dents, painted with brown bedliner, etc.

Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:47 pm

Damn. Some of these are crazy. Wish I had that type of money lol.

Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:53 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What do you need a bug out vehicle for?

To impress your friends and others with how it goes through the mud? Or for 4 wheeling fun?

You need a bug out vehicle because the worst has happened.

Let's say that what happens is an EMP.

Most of those vehicles will no longer work. No matter what you do to them.

But look at my truck...

1st of all, my truck would probably completely survive an emp.

But even if it didn't, the only reasons why, would be because the electric solenoid on the injector pump didn't work. And the regulator in the alternator would be the weak link in the alternator.

That solenoid in the injection pump, opens up a valve that allows fuel to flow. Without an electric signal, it stays closed.

Well, there is a replacement "top" to the injection pump. It is for agricultural use. In other words, the very same injection pump is on some tractors. That replacement top has a cable. Pull the cable, and the valve is open. Push it, and it's closed. Just like an old fashioned manual choke on a gas engine.

Now, with the manual valve on the IP, you don't need electricity to make this engine run.

Put a manual transmission on it, and get a push, or always park at the top of a hill.

If an emp happened, it would be about three weeks before 70% of the population was dead. In the meantime, you are going to have a lot of rats running around with only a vague understanding that they need fuel, and they need batteries. So they are going to be stealing and wasting those from every vehicle they run across.

Another 'predator' of your vehicle will be cops. Authorities are going to confiscate every running vehicle they come across.

If you can outlast both of those... Even if the rats have stolen the batteries and fuel from your truck...

Manual trans. Manual valve control. (And you could make your own, You don't have to have the one made for agriculture.) And... Go around to all those vehicles that have had the batteries and fuel stolen from them already, and drain the engine and the transmission. You can use the oil and ATF as fuel. Especially the ATF, with very little difference from running diesel fuel.

Still want your fancy expensive foofy paperweights?

Even the newer diesels are worthless in that scenario. Electronically controlled injectors. Computer for this, computer for that. Finicky turbo...

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:44 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Selador wrote:
What do you need a bug out vehicle for?

To impress your friends and others with how it goes through the mud? Or for 4 wheeling fun?

You need a bug out vehicle because the worst has happened.

Let's say that what happens is an EMP.

Most of those vehicles will no longer work. No matter what you do to them.

But look at my truck...

1st of all, my truck would probably completely survive an emp.

But even if it didn't, the only reasons why, would be because the electric solenoid on the injector pump didn't work. And the regulator in the alternator would be the weak link in the alternator.

That solenoid in the injection pump, opens up a valve that allows fuel to flow. Without an electric signal, it stays closed.

Well, there is a replacement "top" to the injection pump. It is for agricultural use. In other words, the very same injection pump is on some tractors. That replacement top has a cable. Pull the cable, and the valve is open. Push it, and it's closed. Just like an old fashioned manual choke on a gas engine.

Now, with the manual valve on the IP, you don't need electricity to make this engine run.

Put a manual transmission on it, and get a push, or always park at the top of a hill.

If an emp happened, it would be about three weeks before 70% of the population was dead. In the meantime, you are going to have a lot of rats running around with only a vague understanding that they need fuel, and they need batteries. So they are going to be stealing and wasting those from every vehicle they run across.

Another 'predator' of your vehicle will be cops. Authorities are going to confiscate every running vehicle they come across.

If you can outlast both of those... Even if the rats have stolen the batteries and fuel from your truck...

Manual trans. Manual valve control. (And you could make your own, You don't have to have the one made for agriculture.) And... Go around to all those vehicles that have had the batteries and fuel stolen from them already, and drain the engine and the transmission. You can use the oil and ATF as fuel. Especially the ATF, with very little difference from running diesel fuel.

Still want your fancy expensive foofy paperweights?

Even the newer diesels are worthless in that scenario. Electronically controlled injectors. Computer for this, computer for that. Finicky turbo...

Check out my earlier post. MFI diesel is where it's at. It will be tough to also find a stick shift, but yes, preferable.

In Desert Storm, they mixed jet fuel with ATF (Dextron) to run in diesels. Now many military vehicles are made to run on diesel, JP-5, and JP-8.

I don't worry too much about EMP w/ vehicles because I'm not going anywhere. I work reasonably close to home; if it kills my newer car, I am in good enough shape to get home within a day. With that said, when I get back from my overseas vacation courtesy of the DoD I'll be hunting down an older diesel truck.

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:01 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

hkcavalier wrote:
Check out my earlier post. MFI diesel is where it's at. It will be tough to also find a stick shift, but yes, preferable.

In Desert Storm, they mixed jet fuel with ATF (Dextron) to run in diesels. Now many military vehicles are made to run on diesel, JP-5, and JP-8.

I don't worry too much about EMP w/ vehicles because I'm not going anywhere. I work reasonably close to home; if it kills my newer car, I am in good enough shape to get home within a day. With that said, when I get back from my overseas vacation courtesy of the DoD I'll be hunting down an older diesel truck.

:thumbsup2:

How can I help you, and/or make you smile, today?

You are entitled to your opinion. You are not entitled to tell me what mine must be.

Do justice. Love mercy.

“I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers that can't be questioned.” ~ Richard P. Feynman

Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next