Gun store Shooting Locations It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

Rules WGO Chat Room Gear Rent Me Shield NRA SAF CCKRBA
Calendar

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Looking for some wisdom on equipment 

DoveRelease wrote:
I'm in Arlington, you can come over and try my reloading equipment and do some loading. I have a bunch of dies set up for a lot of calibers. I generally load on friday & saturday late afternoons. I have everyting you will need for what you wamt to load so you won't have to buy anything until you get serious.

I would like to take ya up on that, it wouldn't be this week but maybe next weekend. Getting to watch the process would be a big help.

Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:24 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pm me next week or when you are ready to come over. I will show you how to set the dies up and go through the different steps of reloading.
I am close to the chinook lumber on highway 9.
I have some used brass and used dies coming in next week. I will wait for you to come over and go through them and work some up.

Once you see whats going on you are welcome to use my stuff to load some ammo until you get set up.
Take your time buying the stuff. And used equipment can be bought at resonable prices.
There are two guys that have and get used stuff at decent prices. One is close by, lake stevens area the other is in olympia.
Then there is e bay. I have bought a lot of stuff from the different hunting and gun forums.

What calibers do you have?
I have a bunch of dies, mostly set up.

Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:44 pm

I only have two calibers I want to reload for, 30-06 and .44 magnum. Eventually I might add 7.62x54R to the list but its still many years away at my current consumption rate. As for gear I've been thinking a case trimmer, case gauges, and a trickler are gonna be a good idea?

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:36 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

You'll need a case trimmer for 30-06.

I highly recommend a case gauge for 30-06, and it would be nice for .44 though not as necessary as for the 30-06.

A powder trickler . . . that depends on how you measure your powder. I do most of my loading with the Hornady powder measure on my press, and no trickling is needed although it's not a super-precise way of dosing powder. I also use an RCBS Chargemaster, which does its own trickling. But if you're manually scooping powder onto a scale, then yes I think a trickler of some kind will be helpful.

Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation
Patriot & Life Member, Gun Owners of America
Life Member, Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms
Legal Action Supporter, Firearms Policy Coalition
Member, NAGR/NFGR

Please support the organizations that support all of us.

Leave it cleaner than you found it.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:14 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a set of Rcbs 7.62x54R dies, they are not set up yet. But will only take s few minutes to set them up if you want to crank a few rounds out. I should have everyting else here to make them if you have any brass.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:55 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Chargemaster, if you do nothing else get the chargemaster. It won't help much with speed, for me it allows me to enjoy a youtube video during loading sessions and makes loading more than 10 rifle rounds at a time enjoyable again.

For pistol, unless you're shooting bullseye competition or something, just use the powder-drop on your press.

NRA Certified RSO
SAF/NRA Life Member

Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:02 am

I don't have any mosin brass yet as I still have stash of steel case surpluss to work through. I'm mainly be interested in garand safe 30-06 rounds, otherwise I'm happy to see the process as you load for yourself.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:36 pm

MadPick wrote:
You'll need a case trimmer for 30-06.

I highly recommend a case gauge for 30-06, and it would be nice for .44 though not as necessary as for the 30-06.

A powder trickler . . . that depends on how you measure your powder. I do most of my loading with the Hornady powder measure on my press, and no trickling is needed although it's not a super-precise way of dosing powder. I also use an RCBS Chargemaster, which does its own trickling. But if you're manually scooping powder onto a scale, then yes I think a trickler of some kind will be helpful.

Any recommendations on a case trimmer? I imagine it would come in handy if I wanted to turn .44 mag cases down to .44 specials.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:40 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just did some sample rounds for my 30/06 Garand. I used two different types of powder with 150 grain fmj projectiles. When the weather gets nice and we get to go shooting again I will see what my gun likes and then load up a huge batch of ammo for it.
I have a springfield m1 garand.
I found someone who will be tearing it apart and do a good deep cleaningnon it and see if i need anything done to it. I'd like to get a sli g for it and an original bayonet.

I have two hand trimmers, a Lyman and an RCBS. I had little adapters made so i can power the Rcbs hand trimmer with a cordless screwdriver. It does the job a lot easier then by cranking it by hand.

I use thr hand powder throwers, i have a brand nrw Hornady electric powder measurerm it is still.in the box under my loading bench along with a new never used Hornady sonic cleaner.

Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:29 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did you want to come over tomorrow evening or Saturday?

Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:57 am

Unfortunately I won't make it this weekend. I got to replace the entire rear suspension on the mustang this weekend. I'm just gonna need to shoot ya pm when life settles down.

Nelson

Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:28 am
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok talk to you then. I have to load up the branches from the apple trees i trimmed. I'll get that done this weekend.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:35 pm

My first reloader was an RCBS with RCBS dies, the decaping pin kept breaking in the dies, which forced me to buy a Lee. Been reloading with the same Lee turret press since 1975, last year I finally bought a replacement, the newer turret press. Have not broke a decaping ever since the switch. I have loaded thousands of rounds on that Lee reloader.

People will recommend Dillon, Redding, RCBS; there is no need to spend a bunch of money on something that a Lee can do.

"Prohibition... goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to control a man’s appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things that are not crimes... A prohibition law strikes a blow at the very principles upon which our government was founded."

Abraham Lincoln 8 Dec 1840

Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:10 pm
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Saturday a few of us are going shooting up to darrington if you want to try out them bullets you loaded up.

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:51 am

DoveRelease wrote:
Saturday a few of us are going shooting up to darrington if you want to try out them bullets you loaded up.

Would love to, but I work and the garand is tore apart for refinishing... I'll have to let ya know when I get it up and running.

ImageIMG_0820 by Judge Dread, on Flickr

After spending saturday afternoon with DoveRelease I can safely say that anyone looking to reload should have an impact bullet puller, and a set of calipers!

Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next